Health and Fitness, August, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August, 2016

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 am

As homemakers, when we take care of ourselves, we increase the strength, stamina, resistance and optimism we have to enjoy life and to be nurturing to others, whether in our homes, extended families or community.

Welcome to our thread about benefiting health and fitness! We are challenging ourselves to greater well-being and encouraging well-being in our family members. Each of us is learning - recognizing needs and finding personal balance.

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2016

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:35 pm

I started the month right with a 7300 step walk with the dog. I'm dripping in sweat, I think Fitbit says 29 "floors."
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:30 pm

Last month I backtracked. So I am starting over, hopefully.

I keep my file right on my desk with my month's chart clipped to the front. I found a small picture in an ad of a lady shown in side profile. She just looked so wonderful. I clipped her out and taped her to my chart and made the notation, "this is how I want to look". I'm so envious. We'll see if this motivates.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:50 pm

I passed the wellness check last mo. Waiting on my labs to come back. Missed the dall so they will mail me the recommendations.

I walked the dog this morning.
Picked sone black berries too.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am

Glad to hear the wellness check went as expected, Nancy. Hope the blood numbers do, too.

Harmony, I kept wanting to respond to your last post in the other thread and we went to the end of the month and Dee changed it promptly, of course. My problem was I couldn't think of bright things to say anyhow. Thyroid and palpitations are mentioned together often, and I don't know how they are interlaced. I do know I'm happy you've had a dr monitor and reassure you about your readings.

Also, I think I'd already said that I shouldn't be flippant about your dr's concern about cholesterol. I realize that just because our dietary efforts may not make impressive number difference in blood cholesterol numbers, that doesn't mean they aren't greatly worthwhile. Neither HRH or I have had our chol/trig counted lately and it's not that we have no interest, of course. I guess we are just doing the active, scrutinizing-the-eating thing, and in the backs of our minds we figure that the longer we go, maybe the better a number or two might be. Not that we would change anything, anyway.

Hope I can print 4x6 recipe cards (if they don't get stuck in the printer) of a few smoothie recipes to exchange with B at church, who is hopefully past her ovarian cancer scare, with a little lump in the breast which is shrinking. Happy for her.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Lost my streak on myfitnesspal due to connectivity problems here. Not that I've been counting so I guess it doesn't matter. I've just closed that browser window and will restart on Monday.

At least I've been keeping my step count up, even with all the driving. Tomorrow will be low because it is the second full day of driving we've had this trip. And I made my average last week because, while I was low on Tuesday, it wasn't by much and I made it up with the hike on Wednesday.

Will be interesting to see what my weight is when I get home. I can't imagine not gaining but I've been fairly good except for the cinnamon buns on the buffet each day. The days I had the buffet were the days I didn't have lunch, which makes sense since I ate so much off it (eggs, sausage and a lot of fruit salad.) I also have fresh blueberries for 3 days since we bought a pint while in the Annapolis Valley.

Now my fruit is a small Delmonte fruit cup. But at least I'm still having some for breakfast. Looking forward to getting home and having my regular breakfasts.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 pm

I've been doing low carbs and no sugar again. I'm not getting on the scale because of my training. I know I'm building muscle so have no idea what I should weigh anymore. However the shorts that I was wearing at my lowest weight are sort of hanging on me.

Not counting steps much either. My phone won't calculate my morning workout and yesterday I had to ride the exercise bike 1.5 miles in a certain amount of time. Had my phone on me and it showed somethings like652 steps...Awww I don't think so.

Harmony .... Years ago when I did my first major weight loss I had a difficult time visualizing what I would look like at my goal weigh so I did like you a cut a picture out of a magazine. Didn't help much till I got the bright idea to cut my head off a picture I had and glue it onto the picture... It worked.

I still cut pictures out and hang them on my wall where I use my gazelle and on my bathroom mirror.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:06 pm

I'll know better tomorrow morning but I think I may have taken a big step backwards with the weight during the trip. I weighed yesterday but after breakfast, not before.

Dh also gained on the trip but felt he'd been walking more than usual so should not have. Actually, I only went about 8K steps more over the whole week so that isn't license to eat like crazy. I would have thought I wasn't snacking as much, though but apparently I was eating too much at meals, specifically the breakfast buffet, so it all added up even though I often missed lunch when the buffet servings had been too much.

As well, while away, MFP was reset so I'm starting again tomorrow at day 1. Between very slow internet and no idea how to track what I've eaten, I find it not worth the time and effort to track while away. The chalet's internet was so slow that even email didn't come down reliably and my USB internet stick couldn't work so I would have lost my streak at that point even if I had tried to keep it over the trip.

I found I wanted to stay off the computer as much as possible during the trip simply because I was busy doing other things. Even now I'm struggling to get my travelog out and I only wrote 2 for the whole trip.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:03 pm

I walked the dog berries are past their peak.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 am

Keeping up the 10K/day average despite several really low days last week.

Sleep is improving - I've had four 6+ hours of deep sleep nights in the past week. Of course, in some cases I was in bed over 9 hours so it isn't all that good a ratio of deep sleep to active sleep. Still, I'm starting to feel more normal.

Had a deep nap yesterday which made getting to sleep last night hard, though, so I'll try not to do that often.

Weight is back to 170 (was 172 right after the trip.) I haven't restarted MFP yet, so just mindful eating without a lot of measuring and tracking will bring my weight down (it was 168.5 before I left.)

I will try to go back to daily weighing. I find that helps me be more mindful with my eating, since, if I'm up, I immediately think about what I did 'wrong' (if anything) and correct that behaviour.

Return to “Healthy Habits”