Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:14 pm

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
- Japanese Proverb

Among leisure activities, reading, playing board games, playing musical instruments, and dancing were associated with a reduced risk of dementia.
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine and National Institute on Aging 21-year study of Leisure Activity

Dancing is only rarely a fatal activity. The biggest mistake of all is to avoid dancing altogether because you fear you will suck at it. No one cares how doofy I look if I don't know the steps. So I may try to confront this fear, we'll see. I'm thinking of taking a Zumba class. I'll just have to work really really hard on inventing a magic invisibility cloak in the next few weeks.
- Jan Graham, The Cranky Fitness Blog

When life is going in the wrong direction, point your toes in another.
- Holly Stover

How long since you suddenly broke out dancing? Might be good for you!

smarter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:27 pm

I've signed up for "Total Fitness" and Tai Chi, both starting this month. Zumba (toned down because it is for seniors) was an option I passed on this time.

I don't dance.

I also can't dance.

I wanted to take ballroom lessons years ago but dh's travel schedule and then our travel schedule meant taking them at a nearby school wouldn't work. Living a 35 minute drive from the nearest dance studio that had flexible lessons meant it didn't rise to priority level. Now my knees won't take it. Maybe in the future but certainly not now.

I jogged a little bit (i.e. 1/2 a short block) last night in the dark. It is harder outside than on the treadmill. Dh was with me and was able to keep up with a very brisk walk. After, I walked flat out as fast as I can (I needed the steps and dh was being kept from the baseball game so I was making the walk as short as possible but wanted him with me since it was late) and he wasn't working near as hard as I was to maintain the pace.

That means he shouldn't worry about his upcoming stress tests but he is worried. Actually I'm worried too. He had to do a treadmill test in July and did it twice because they messed up the leads again (second time they've messed up the test for him.) So he did 2, back-to-back and thought he aced it. Instead, now he has to do a nuclear test but it is different from the one I had last year. He gets a shot, then does a resting test of some sort on Friday. On Tuesday he gets the shot again and does a treadmill test with the stuff in his system. His valve should be coming up for replacement, after all the doctor said 10 years it would need replacing in about 10 years ago. I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Still, it is concerning.

Weight is up a little this morning. Not really a surprise after all the munching lately, but a disappointment.

I have almost no healthy food in the house. On the plus side, almost all the unhealthy food is gone too. It is easy to see what's left in the fridge. Some cheese, pickles, half a package of bacon, onions, milk, condiments, and grapes, broccoli, carrots, celery and green pepper. No eggs or yogurt, staples when I need a high protein snack.

Dh has requested pizza for dinner. Dh is going for a bike ride at 6 with the bike club so he can have that when he's done. I think I'll have some hamburg/rice chowder instead. Lower carb, higher protein.

I still need 7K steps for the day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Super terrific best wishes for Ken in Canada on testing and wise plans. Sounds like fitness is there, for sure.

Dee had mentioned in Decluttered Home that accountability is needed and I had to agree.

I need accountability in fitness/health I think, but it tends to rotate. :roll: I get one area straightened out and another slips away from me. I was astonished to have a twinge of lower back pain yesterday. Rushed or social days have kept me from my commitment to drinking adequate water, which I would have been so sure I had "down" to a science. Dee mentioned 15s on the decluttering front. I also need to think in terms of 15s for exercise and get it written down more faithfully, even if it's literally not much more than a checkmark.

Dancing, in my world ;) , has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else's awareness. Ya'll would come the closest to knowing, if I mention it here as one of my 15s.

The dancing chat in first post was inspired by a grocery trip, to tell you the truth! Smart (HT) manager was playing music that was so close to Richard Simmons' Sweatin' To the Oldies tunes over the speaker, and I really think everyone in the store was in a good mood despite themselves. No one was actually doing any steps, lol, but several singing along, and it reminded me of enjoyable dance fitness times.

Today I walked a "formal" 15 and will be looking for more chances to add to that. 3 pints of water by 1:00. Using colorful rubber bands around the glass again, which I find to be a great visual. Planning on the variety-bean soup daily while this nice recipe lasts, so I'm sure that helps with hydration, too.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:14 pm

I guess it's because I typed it, but I just had to do Simmon's STTO 2 tonight while HRH was intent on work in his office. (nobody knows... ... ;) )

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Got plenty of exercise today. Walked ddog this morning then did a lot of yard work that had not been done bc it was too hot last mo.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Haven't read here for a few days but had to smile about the dancing talk. Yesterday, I put on Elton John's greatest hits and found myself dancing wildly in the bedroom to Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. Reminded myself of this wisdom that passed by my FB feed a few weeks ago:

Dance like no-one is watching.

Email, post and tweet like its being read into the court record!

My weight is up a full pound (plus the half it was up last time I posted here) so that takes me well over my upper limit now.

My daily step average is the same so the issue is what I'm eating. Grains have made themselves fully at home in my diet lately so out they go again. I will miss the regularity they offer, though. Must remember to restart fiber pills.

My diet has more than enough fiber according to MFP when grains are banished but once the grains are out of my system, it backs up and I hate that.

Was talking to someone on Friday night who has just eliminated wheat and dairy and eggs from her diet as they struggle to figure out what is causing sinus issues. For her, the change meant she went to being regular for the first time in her life. For me, I get backed up. Just goes to show how different systems react differently. (Oh, and for now there's no improvement in the sinuses but she feels much healthier in other ways so is patiently working with the naturopath to figure out which foods she can tolerate and in what amounts.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:26 pm

I have done yard work today for my exercise! I have done three rounds 45 in. 1st, 2nd 2 hrs. Third 45 give or take a few. Hen chores more tree pruning don't tell h. I was in the ladder for a bit! ;) It is cool & refreshing out plus we need the moisture. I do not have to water. Ddog was not interested in coming out with me, the hens wanted out early so I let them out they are hoping for worms.
:idea:
My new diet plan is sewing instead of baking!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Nancy, I have some disappointment that I won't be making a cake for HRH for his birthday. He loved seeing and taking a taste of dd's, and knows the creativity of it was fun for me, but he says leave it off for him. Just not wise, really. I'll look through some healthy cake-type of recipes. Rather doubt they will work out.

Kathryn, removing dairy could have been a big change for her if, for instance, there was much cheese in the diet, or just a lot of dairy in general. If that gap was filled by veggies, that would have been very freeing for the system. I started to put a smiley face on that word choice, but it's accurate. Love the sensible quote.

Had a request for my version of the skinny muffin recipe. I need to type that up for a printable index card, too.

Neglected to buy parsley, and I looked right at it. :roll: Other people were browsing so I waited and then forgot. But did find beautiful Tuscan kale in a bunch. I'm glad because the last time I thought I was buying bagged kale, I picked up baby spinach instead. It's actually made very pretty omelets, though, with little round leaves peeking out behind the flipped-over side.

HRH has run out of his favorite beverage these days, Hibiscus Tea. I'll need to get by a healthy foods store to find this. He just loves it, and it's beautiful as an iced drink in a glass with cubes, an appetizing red-pink. There is one brand in the regular stores but it has such a "regular tea" aftertaste to me that I suspect it has other ingredients.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 am

Down 1.5 pounds today.

This is, for me, proof "calories-in vs calories-out" isn't all there is to weight loss. MFP shows over 2400 calories, more than 1000 than I should have had given my activity level for the day, 94 net carbs (includes 29 grams of fibre) 146 g of fat and 148 g of protein

(I'm listing what I ate but in tiny print so as to not tempt others.)

Drank over 10 glasses of water.
Had caffeinated tea.
200g of greek yogurt plus 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries plus 10 calories of maple sugar flakes.

Two regular eggs plus two egg whites, cheese, onion, scrambled at Denny's (goodness knows what other fats were introduced on the grill.)
Two sausage, one bacon.

3/4 plate of cut veggies with 120 calories of hummus.

about 100 g of skinless chicken breast with a full fry pan of veggies, sauteed in 2 tbsp of olive oil, seasoned with about 1/4 cup of teriyaki stir fry sauce.

5 large strawberries dipped in 2+ tbsp on Nutella

2 glasses of milk.

About 2 oz of dry roasted peanuts.

2/3 oz of 82% dark chocolate.

Not exactly a calorie-counting diet. Nor, low sodium (bacon, sausage, cheese, stir-fry sauce.) Nor totally low carb (sausage, nutella, stir fry sauce, milk, cheese) but combined, it caused me to shed 1.5 pounds.

Will try another no-bread day today and see what happens.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Lynlee, I thought of you this morning because HRH made buckwheat pancakes with blueberries. I was pleased with the good taste and texture. A lot of bragging on them from me, with the first bite. You would probably not be overwhelmed with this choice, though, because he had found Arrowhead Mills brand and there's does include some wheat, too - not a pure buckwheat product. Funny when you think about the fact they are not even in the same plant family :? but that's often how it's marketed/packaged here. It's actually hard to find specific buckwheat flour here. I can do it at the Whole Foods, though.

He's not as big a fan of berries IN pancakes as I am, but it causes less of any blood sugar spike there might be. He has favorite berries on the side and it's the same.

Kathryn, I'd say yesterday's was just an odd, outlying reading. So many variables with a scale, and variables with life happening. A pound tells you so little. Um... ... no, you did not tempt me with any of that, lol. Well, nutella on strawberries, hmmm.....

Mysteries abound, for sure. I had both salty popcorn and salty corn tortilla chips yesterday, plus a packaged stir-fry sauce that I'm sure was no friend to water retention level. Yet, no change on the scale, so I still don't seem so certain at predicting this. The only possibility I can think of is that the green drink I had later cancelled some of those out.

I tried RS STTO 3 yesterday. Didn't finish the whole thing for lack of time. It never was as much fun, IMO, but has good points. Wonder what dd18 is going to say about my getting back into these without her. She used to join me on them as a child and have so much fun. Loves RS.

Return to “Healthy Habits”