Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2016

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:46 am

I am home again, weight up about 2 lbs, altho I think will return to normal as I take care of air dehydration and get all the "stuff" out of my system.

Really needing to step it up with exercise, strength building and stretching. I had trouble handling stairs to bus and standing up from airplane seat, especially with a heavy backpack.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:21 pm

Back from walking the ddog this morning. Have a sore foot so I raked the yard instead of my other walks today. It looks better in the front now. It did not help in the back so much. Good arm work out.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Twins: sounds like you may have lost a little. I found flying was good for 3lb weight gain. Took 2 - 3 days to get it off. As you said, it is a combination of the dehydration (no matter how much I drank) and the salty food that happens on travel days. Apparently it is against the law to have fruit and veggies in airport restaurants!

I'm sore all over. Hope this is just something that will last for the first few times I work out.

Found used weights for $18 so just sent an email offering $15. They are slightly higher than I should have but figure I'll quickly work up to them (they are 8 & 10 and I need 6 & 8.)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Kathryn... The Phoenix, Dallas and Newark airports all have places where you can buy fresh apples, bananas and oranges plus I saw the same thing at the Charlotte, Jacksonville and Ft. Myers airports. And You could purchase bowls of cut up fruit like you get at the grocery store. They also sold many types of yogurts. Also many grab-and-Go offered alads.

I often see people walking around with fruit in their hands in the airports. In the past I thought it came from their own backpacks, but now I see many people buying their fruit. I travel with food... Apples and such and my gf never flies without her pb&j sandwich.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Ramblin', thinking of you as you address your energy levels lately.

Enjoyed watching the 5-part smoothie series from Michael Greger:
Are Green Smoothies Good for You?
Are Green Smoothies Bad for You?
Green Smoothies: What Does the Science Say?
Liquid Calories: Do Smoothies Lead to Weight Gain? and
The Downside of Green Smoothies

It was very good and the bottom lines are that smoothies have turned out to be positive for health. I was glad to see that recent studies show we actually don't need to be worried about oxallic acid in green smoothies - this was a big discussion several years back and made me worry about spinach. We always want to protect tooth enamel, so rinsing our mouths after a smoothie would be best, and drinking through a straw is best, not brushing teeth within an hour on the chance fruits have softened enamel (same if you bite into a fruit). If we gulp a smoothie it will seem less filling to us afterward, so slowing down will help to convince our brains we did have a filling meal even though it was drinkable. Plant fats (like from walnuts, flaxseeds or avocados) make the smoothie even better for us - we absorb the phytochemicals from fruits/veggies better in the presence of these fats and they are good for our cholesterol levels.

Btw, the Nutri-Bullet here gets a workout every day and is still going strong, never have a leaking problem any more. So I'm thinking that must have been operator error :? even if I didn't think so at first.

I don't think I've bragged on the Romaine that I can hardly live without around here. First, HRH likes it a lot and has some every day - that alone is enough of a vote for it, since it is replacing his usual iceberg, which is fine but has less nutrition. It's perfect on a sandwich. Second, in a green smoothie I can include half really pungent or peppery tasting greens and half Romaine and still have a smoothie dd will enjoy.

Return to “Healthy Habits”