Health and Fitness, October 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2016

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Yes, Harmony, I'm sure there will be good lipid profiles with low-carb plans too.

Well, Dee I'm on Armour Thyroid and I believe Harmony is on Synthroid or another levothyroxine, but I could be mistaken. helia's dd would also be someone who knows. I keep my thyroid pills in the master bathroom and take one there first thing in the morning right after I weigh. That way, as much time as possible of my morning routine counts toward my time before eating, just in case I want to eat early. But I want my first pint of water next anyway, which takes a little time, and several breakfasts I like would take some time to make, too. So I seldom feel as though I'm waiting because of the pill. (I'm only waiting to eat and take a few supplements.)

Tip: don't store pills directly over a sink if you are going to take them when you are bleary-eyed. ;)

Before fasting lab work - I believe as long as you are just taking the pill with water, you go ahead.

About the diabetes -
1) what is the exact wait time your thyroid med's package info suggests? It might be just a half-hour wait time.
2) are you sure of the time that has to pass after the thyroid med before the diabetes med - your dr/pharmacist might say go ahead and take it, OR some meds should be even longer than an hour. Hmmm... ...

It was frustrating for me to hear the advice some people (at least used to ) give, to eat within the first half-hour of waking up. That really bugs me because there are more than 20 million just in the US on thyroid pills, many more worldwide, and that advice ignored their situation/needs. There were those who did it anyway and hid the practice from their doctors in the name of losing some weight. Health is the priority. Also you were supposed to be sure your breakfast had "a protein", which is unhelpful, since except for fruit, that would be every food ever.

I do NOT obsess over the waiting time, Dee. Also I don't obsess (any more) over whether I take a pill at the same time every morning.

There was a lady on the T-Tapp forums who had a plan of taking her thyroid pill upon waking to go to the bathroom in the night. She had her habits down to such a science that she knew about when she was going to wake every night. Whether that is wise or not I don't know, but she would be able to hop up in the mornings in a rush without thinking about the wait time.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for input, Harriet. I will check again with the pharmacist about length between the thyroid pill and diabetic med. I'm usually awake fairly early anyway so could take it -once I weigh. I'm on the same pill as Harmony I do believe. Good advice not putting it over the sink. :D Of course my goal right now is to perhaps take my diabetic meds down a bit by summer.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Dee... my mom is almost 89 and has been taking thyroid meds since she was 21. She fines the natural ones work best for her. She gets up in early in the morning to use the restroom and that's when she takes her pill. Then she climbs back in bed for a while.

I had to take them when I was 9. Also had to loose 15 lbs. Not an easy thing to do when you're a kid, but I was a "tomboy" back then and spent lots of time outside... usually riding my bike. I would get up in the morning, get ready for school and then eat my breakfast and then take my pill.

Harriet... I am one of those people who wake up starving. If I drink a large cup of coffee first thing I can usually hold off eating for a while. However I usually am eating something within 10 minutes of being up.

I just made eggs in a muffin pan so I have something ready for me in the morning. For years I ate oatmeal when I first got up, but since I am eating low carbs and no sugar I had to come up with something else.

The one meal I'm really not interested in is dinner. If I wasn't cooking for Sweetie I
probably wouldn't eat any ...
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:51 am

I'm the same, RamblinRose......not much interest in dinner. I have the same breakfast every morning: a protein shake with a frozen banana, some V8, and a few almonds. Then some tea and I'm full all morning. If I eat lunch after 1:00 p.m., I'm rarely hungry for dinner.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:53 am

Oh RunKitty...it's great to see you. I missed you. :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am

She gets up in early in the morning to use the restroom and that's when she takes her pill. Then she climbs back in bed for a while.

My Mom does this too. Hers isn't Thyroid meds but a med for Parkinsonism that must be taken every 6 hours (9am, 3pm, 9pm 3am).

RunKitty - it is good to "see" you!

I have dropped the exercise ball in my healthy habit juggle. I give up my exercise time slot when focusing on homeschooling curriculum. I did it with the thought that it would be temporary but here I am 11 weeks later and I still haven't restarted it. I am committing to doing 15 minutes 3-4 times daily. I think that will be easiest to fit in. If that timetable doesn't work then I will adjust.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:30 am

I have my thyroid pill & coffee 1st wait feed hens dog journal then eat a bit later.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:33 am

Hi, RR and LM. I try to keep up with H&F and Post When You Can, but often don't have time to post.

We homeschooled our three children and finding time for exercise was always a problem for me. Three or four 15 minutes sessions sounds like a great idea.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:34 am

Hi, Nancy and Ella.. :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Waving we got a walk in today walked a block more than normal to see the sheep today. Sun came out afyer we got back later on in the afternoon.

Return to “Healthy Habits”