Health and Fitness, October 2016

Share healthy living habits.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2016

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Waha!! For the first time in several years I walked ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BIG POND. I was trying to get in 4,500 steps today and I'm now at 7,000. I had already walked around the inner loop here and was a little cool so walked around it to come back and put my heavier jacket and gloves on. Then I just kept walking. I am HAPPY!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Wtg! Dee.
I am back from walking ddog 1mi. saw 4 deer this evening no camera sigh.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:06 pm

Dee, that's power walking! Good job on going further and further. Walking when it's "brisk" can be fun.

Oh, Nancy, I never have a camera when I need it either.

Thanks, Dee! This has been a blessing to have a report print out what we thought we knew. At first I couldn't get him to talk about it much, except to the children, who are tickled for him. He's finally talking about it to his buddies and they are all happy to hear he's gotten this real shot-in-the-arm of encouragement. Lots of them have been very supportive - they would help him pick out vegetarian menu choices, out to eat.

Dr says with nothing to flag for circulatory concerns, then, over time he'll just feel better as any silent problems, if there were any, keep reversing. Dr says he'd like to keep testing at normal intervals and see how much better it gets, even though their computer system may not remind to do it any more, just because it's interesting to him and us.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Harriet, that is wonderful news and must be just so encouraging, a real boost to continue doing what he's been doing. Is he eating pretty much the way you are eating?

I just haven't had much luck figuring out what to eat. I am often hungry with nothing appealing here and of course that leads to bad choices. I get cravings for salty things and really practically nothing comes in that category for healthy. I have a drs. appointment coming up and I just know the numbers will not be good.

I am really interested to see if our low carb high fat people will have any effects good or bad to their cholesterol numbers. How does one go high fat without eating meat? HRH seems to be doing ok with cholesterol without the meat and high fat.

I can't eat nuts or seeds. I've cut out so much stuff I can't eat for one reason or another I just don't know where to turn. I have this energy problem too. What to do, what to do??

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:01 pm

We're both vegetarian now - lacto-ovo vegetarian would be the exact way to say it, since we do have some dairy and egg. I have been since May, and he since maybe first of year. It was around May that the kidney dr talked with him about his damage from kidney disease (regarding avoiding the more acid foods), and his sister over-reacted like, "I should donate a kidney! Oh, no!" :| So I just decided that was it, we were having the same diet. I started concentrating on nutrition, which has always been interesting to me anyway.

We do both eat nuts every day. Or seeds, or nut butters of course. I wasn't aware you avoided those. For fats I also enjoy avocados very much - just love them. He doesn't care for them unless they are "hidden" in a casserole or whatever. When we fry it's in coconut oil, but I'll tell you that we definitely drain well because it's still an oil with no fiber. I do put dairy cream in coffee and a little butter on my muffin, and of course the occasional egg has some fat.

The difference between he and I is that I am much more determined to eat for nutrition. Although he follows along with that somewhat (and eats what I cook), he just wants simple meals of familiar foods. He loves to make up a plate of what he calls country or "poor boy" meals of mostly favorite veggies, some beans, with one favorite starch - potato, corn, rice or bread (or the beloved cornbread). And if he ate the same supper every day for three days, he would be perfectly happy.

On the other hand, I like to get the most nutritious variety produce, and I won't even make an omelet if I have run out of mushrooms. Not always a plate, I may have smoothies 3 or 4 times a week, especially with my avocado. He does not drink meals, but he will eat my variety salads. We both like some of the meat-alternative burgers, hotdogs, sausage patties, fajita strips, although the sodium should be watched - dd36's family has veggie sausage with us for breakfasts of scrambled eggs and grits.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm

That's all interesting, Harriet. Do you do cheese? How many eggs are you getting? I can't do nuts and seeds because of the diverticula (sp?) problems which are quite severe. I do as little butter as I can manage and any grains I have are usually whole grain variety. I should up my number of vegetables, but I find just that one thing adds a lot of time. I don't do a lot of meats and keep any portions very small. Not a big fish eater (do you do fish?) but maybe a bit of tuna once in a while.

Trying to keep fats down, I just simply run out of things to eat. Any oil I use is olive. If I cut out all carbs, what's left but vegetables? I haven't figured it out. When I was doing low carb, low fat for weight loss and cholesterol I did lose weight, but then after a while I had that bad time when I just had no energy and couldn't keep at it. Adding in some carbs, my weight has come back up.

What are your meat substitutes made of? Is it soy? I'm not sure how I feel about soy. Of course, I do not get any guidance from the dr. just a lot of criticism about weight and labs. :roll:

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Suggestion for Harmony -
See if you can access flour made from seed or nuts. There is also besan from chickpea.
My go to flour is buckwheat or quinoa. I use rice bran oil - It has a high smoke point and good for omega3s as well. Is almond meal something you can have?
Coconut oil and I disagreed over the lingering smell I ended up with.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Dd doesn't like the coconut aroma either - I think it's no big deal. She says she only wants to smell coconut in baked goods!

Fish are the most acidic of any animal food, so they are out for us in that way, but also I personally would rather keep the dairy and egg than fish. I do sprinkle on cheese on several things but I try to go easy on it. lol-I started to tell you about the hens but you mean how many eggs are we eating. I have about 5 eggs a week. HRH has less. Meat substitutes are all different and can be grain, soy, mushroom or combinations. My fav is the Quorn burger, which is mushroom and is so much like what you expect in a "burger burger". HRH likes it fine and just doesn't read the label. I am going ahead and having tofu now on the new recommendations that look a lot more favorable. People used to worry about phyto-estrogens and potential breast cancers but the studies showed that breast cancer rates are nonexistent for a lot of countries and communities eating plenty of tofu.

If you are dealing with diverticulitis you are in the company of so many people in the US - you really need fiber because it's very protective. As far as nuts being a problem in diverticulitis, be sure to ask your dr, but I don't think drs warn against nuts and seeds for diverticulitis any more, and say go ahead and eat them for all their other benefits. The Strate trial (Dr. Strate was the lead researcher) was part of the Health Professionals Follow Up Study of 47,000 men (counterpart to Nurse's Health Study of women) and showed that eating nuts and seeds was not associated with risk of diverticulitis for any of them during 18 years of follow-up, and seemed to have been protective against it.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Had my fall 'follow-up' Dr. appointment today. All my test results looked pretty good -other than my thyroid, TSH. That went up pretty dramatically since last fall. So, she pretty predictably, put me on a thyroid medication. Here's my question. How do you, especially those of you who also have diabetes, work this into your morning? I was told to have it as soon as I arise and about an hour before any other meds. This could really crimp my style as my BS is often 69-81, fairly low for me. What time are you taking this med? And what about when going for fasting lab work? Do you still take this med first? Guess I'll probably have to ask about that one. Often take my meds by 7/7:30 so does this mean I have to arise by 6 to take the thyroid med? Know she said this will probably help increase my energy and tiredness level. Alright! I like that one.

I had asked about my thyroid last year but it was still within the right parameters. Not so at this point. I do have to have labs done again in about 3 - 3 1/2 months in FL. She printed those out for me and actually I'm rather glad to be having them done. I asked her to have them all done -except the urinalysis- so I'll be sure to keep a tighter rein on my A1C.

Know some of you are on thyroid meds so figured this was a good place to come for advice.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Saw so e deer on our first early morning walk today around 8-ish we had some frost here over nite.

Return to “Healthy Habits”