Health and Fitness, January, 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Rambling

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:51 am

You're a powerhouse of honesty, lucylee, quite fearless. Your measurements are not as unique as you yourself are, of course. My measurements when starting my exercise program at 45 (taken after one month of a walking program) were right there with you. Plus, every time I go over to my fav fitness site I see these measurements all the time - you are right there with so many women. Yep, there's that abdomen measurement rivaling the hip - very familiar. Does seem like you and I share a delightful tendency toward back fat that changes our bustline measurement. Right now I am able to wear bras without extenders, but not at age 45 and have also had to go back to them several times since, back and forth whenever my fitness/size would fluctuate.

I am a believer in measurements because they will make you smile when you look back at them later. I have had a lot of success with goal-setting that I would take an inch off (for instance, waist or hips) by a certain time, so I'm a believer in goal-setting too. Now, though, I've realized that if I don't remember anything else, there's one magical mystical tip that's going to do the trick. It's the consistency that is going to help me. I could just needlepoint that one word and hang it above my tv and never really need to set any more size goals, take any measurements or step on a scale again to stay where I want! Unfortunately I lose my magical consistency wand and dip backward, then have to pull myself up by my bootstraps again, which is much harder.

I'll have to give Sparkle credit - her example was right in front of me for a long time before I "got" it. She just did something every day and judged how much to do by monitoring how happy she was with her fitness level. I don't get where I want by just walking, though, I do have to do targeted movements.

Poor dh popped a VHS tape in for me yesterday and the VCR ate it. He felt terrible but it had nothing to do with him, he was just changing it for me as he left the room after watching a program. Anyway, that takes one workout out of my rotation for a while until I can replace it, probably with a DVD.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2009

Postby lucylee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Thank you so much, for the kind words of reassurance, Harriet... I know that real-live, adult women DO have the same annoying curves that bother me. Dmom has told me before that part of my problem is being surrounded by anorexic teenage girls w/concave stomachs! However, as I said before, right now, my main self-image problem is a result of comparing myself so unfavorably w/dsisil, who is my age and the mother of two children!

Consistency is my goal now, too. I am just determined to do SOMETHING every day. I'm working some "targeted moves" in, too, s-l-o-w-l-y... baby steps...
Tomorrow is another day.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:05 pm

I have been thinking about vitamin D too. I'm not sure I'm in the sun enough to get the benefits of vitamin D. I can't be in the sun because of medication reaction but surely the sun I get in the shade is enough. I'm not sure so I'm researching and then I'll check with my docs to make sure.

I can't imagine any interaction but who knows.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Bummer it looks like I can't take vitamin D because of interaction with some of my meds. I'll check with docs to be sure.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Indiana, fish and fortified dairy products contain it. A 3.5 ounce serving of salmon or mackerel is 90 percent of the current guideline of 400 IU (which the Prevention article reports may soon be doubled, but that's still quite respectable). If a doctor shakes her head at Prevention's idea of 1,000 mg capsules, maybe a smaller capsule like the 400 mg ones would be given the okay, even if it was every other day. Source Naturals and some other brands make 400 mg tablets rather than capsules, which I presume could be split with a pill cutter for a divided dose. There are also liquids with droppers. In general, Vitamin D's quite cheap. This article says buying it at supermarket or pharmacy prices is safe and effective. Ladies Home Journal January, which I read in the doctor's office, also has a big article on it, but I didn't get the chance to learn much.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:37 am

I have decided that health and fitness is what I deserve. I also am looking at this a dejunking. If I can dejunk a closet (which in my youth would devistate me) I can dejunk this old body of mine to enjoy life!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

trish

Postby trish » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Blessed, you can do it. And yes, you do deserve it. Also, you want to be here for a long time so you need to take care of you.
I am on day four of back on track.

helia

Postby helia » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 am

I think I'll post my work out plan, which I made up on my own so if any of you see flaws/ways to improve, please let me know. I organize by days b/c certain days I theoretically have more time than others and the jog/weights work out takes longer than the elliptical trainer work out.

Tuesdays and Fridays - Jog/Weights work out
-stretch, jog 1 mile on indoor track, stretch
-weights: I do 10 machines, focusing on upper body. 2 sets of 8 - 15 reps/machine; 4 sets on the twisting machine that works both sides of the torso - 2 sets per side. 22 sets altogether.
-back exercises

Two other days of the week - Elliptical Trainer work out
-30 minutes on the elliptical trainer
-back exercises

Harriet, which work out tapes do you use? I'm thinking about giving that a try or at least having one on hand for when time is particularly tight; it might be more efficient as I wouldn't have to count traveling time to and from the gym. Travel time isn't too great, but it is more transitions in my day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:55 pm

helia, I was just reading down your post and thinking I would be no help, but that trish was your expert here, also Twins Mom very knowledgeable.

But, about video workouts, yes, they are totally on your schedule. When you realize it's a convenient time, push "play". I've done a lot and never found any that weren't worthwhile, some are just more efficient than others.

I've found the best efficiency in the physical therapy-based T-Tapp workouts, which are low- or non-impact, use isometrics rather than weights. They were proven at The Cooper Institute in your former home state Texas to get one into "fat-burning" as fast as possible. Within 7-10 minutes glucose storage "expenses" so that the body can get into fat burning mode, something that usually takes 20 minutes of aerobic activity. It's because many muscles are used simultaneously. So even though the first move of any T-Tapp video is usually a stretch series, it's full-body.

It's hard to label T-Tapp aerobic only, but that's part. It's like yoga/martial arts/pilates/dance. It's criticized for being complicated. There's no music, and instead a running patter of many form reminders. Here's a quick look at Teresa Tapp coaching tv personalities in Phoenix so you'll see what I mean. You bobble about, because there's a lot of left-right brain choreography and also because one of the main points is reclaiming balance, so there is actually an intent to force internal muscles to kick in to correct for, say, a swinging arm or leg. Some joke that T-Tapp causes them to yell at the screen because they'll lose their balance or get mixed up in a complex movement, but it's fun and good for your brain. There's also a Sit-Down version, several floor workouts. Basic is 15 minutes, the various Full workouts about 45-50. None are cheap, but they come with unlimited phone counseling, and Basic and the initial full one come with "instructionals" which are complete extra videos for help starting.

helia

Postby helia » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Thank you for the recommendation, Harriet. Of course, I've heard you talk about T-Tapp before. I looked at the video but didn't try it. It sounds great!

Return to “Healthy Habits”