Health and Fitness, November 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, November 2016

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:38 am

Is it time for an overview of Healthy Habits for you?

lucylee asked a good question near the end of last month's thread. She's looking over her supplements and considering what's right and wrong for her, making sure there's good reasoning behind choices.

We do need to find times to reassess the habits we've gotten into, some by careful attention, some because we were trying something new, some by accident. Are they all still right for us? Have any slipped from our radar? :o

In other words, it's not just "What are we doing?", it's also "And why are we doing it?" that we should be able to answer. :)

I also found it interesting that Nancy finished up our October chat with one of her healthy walks. Sometimes habits are just too good, and we know they have been right for us for the long haul.

lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2016

Postby lucylee » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:36 am

So? What do you think about my list, Harriet? Does it look excessive? I'm just wondering what other people take, too.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Totally in the "If it were me" category,

I wouldn't look at that many bottles and think they were a lot, particularly. Different categories.

As we go into winter, consider more Vitamin D than what multi is giving. (D-3 in softgels 2,000 IU daily, unless you check blood levels deep into the winter and find out you are dangerously low then, and dr suggests more - most sources I read are saying minimum 2,000 daily in winter to keep levels up normally for those who'd rather not test often.) I know you sat out in sun watching ball games in the summer, but when it's over, it's over until March. Or until your expensive tropical vacation. 2015 studies are super optimistic for avoidance of several cancers by keeping Vit D levels up. That's just one thing it does, of course. Sun can be enough in summertime.

If you have a dr who, after looking at your colon, recommends more fiber, his/her first hope was probably change the diet to have more natural goings-on in there. Did you suggest you wouldn't change your diet, or is the dr just tired after hearing others say they wouldn't? Don't go along with some other patients who are stubborn, or don't believe the colonoscopy means anything - be your own informed self. Let the apples and beans be themselves, too. They miss you. More fibrous, natural foods also reduce the worry about supplemental vitamins and minerals. The fiber supplement has the fiber of the colorful fruits and vegetables, but not the nutrition, no phytochemicals, so your body cells are disappointed, saying, "aawwww, really?" and making sad puppy-dog faces at you. :| I don't make this up. This is science.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:20 pm

:) Harriet!
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:32 pm

I walked today early w ddog, went to town more walking at a store. Lower back & hip made it not fun to sit at knitting mtg. 2 more stores more walking around the perimeter 1st ten a bit of shopping.

Hit my hand on the coop chopping up pumpkins for the hens had to take off my birthstone ring, had a good cry ddog helped me feel better.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:23 pm

(((Nancy))), feel better! Our furry friends really do know when we are feeling bad!

Lucy, I don't think your list of meds is too long, given your allergies, etc.

This is what I have been taking for some time now:
One Daily multivitamin/multimineral - Women's Health
Garlic softgel, 1000 mg
Glucosamine Chondroitin 1500mg/1200mg
Vitamin B12
L-Lysine 500 mg (started when I had shingles)
Low Dose aspirin 81 mg
Red Yeast Rice 600 mg Extended Release (recommended by Dr. when I had a reaction to L ipator.
CoQ10 Adult Gummy (recommended by Dr. to go with the cholesterol med.)

Nothing here is actual RX, all are otc. I take it all in the morning except the Red Yeast Rice and CoQ10, that is after supper. The Vit. B12 I take when I get up, about 1/2 hour before I eat breakfast, the rest after breakfast.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:59 pm

I continue to try to live up to the Daily Dozen. After the last time I mentioned it in Oct I was never able to have another perfect day that month, but I did yesterday, so now that's one in the bank for Nov. I didn't think it was, until I realized last evening that all I was missing was an "other fruit" and I'd had a serving of bell pepper in a homemade stir-fry. Botanically, that's a fruit :) so I claimed it!

It's nice to have this rather high ring to reach for each day. At least when I give up on a day, I'm probably giving up at a respectable point. If I had devised it for myself it wouldn't be as hard, so this is good.

DVetneighbor called yesterday and I walked outside while I talked to her. One of the things we talked about was sticking with our exercise. She has been faithful to the Nordic-Trac for many years (10 ?) and only recently had to spend some "time out" because she had a broken toe. I was able to say I've stuck with T-Tapp, though I'm not at the level she remembers me reaching. I told her more of my mental energy was going into all-day nutrition, and then just no-braining it through rotated basic workouts in the evening, and she was very encouraging about that.

Started reading The End of Heart Disease by Joel Fuhrman right now, barely through a chapter. Strict science, which I love, but he also writes about the anecdotal experiences of his patients that give human interest. I went ahead and ordered when I heard him say in an interview it was probably his best book. I never even read Eat to Live, which was his initial best seller way back. By the time I got interested in him as an author there were always more up-to-date books that were higher on my list.

Still reading The Starch Solution by John McDougall. He is so type-A and it really comes out in his writing. I like him, though. And HRH just loves his ideas because he strongly believes in potatoes for gut health, and that's what HRH has experienced all his life.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:16 pm

I do not take vitamins, just vinager occasionally for leg cramps. I hear on the news that they did not do any good.

Back from my walk w ddog.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:03 pm

I am just back from a walk w kidN & ddog.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:28 pm

I'm taking Red rice yeast also and at night too. My PA has me taking two tablets. I also take Lutein for my eyes cause I have Macular degeneration. I also take calcium, B's, Multics, biotin and and a few others. I take them with something warm like tea, coffee or even water cause it makes them go down easier.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”