Health and Fitness, November 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2016

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:01 pm

I had over dosed on news was stressed out changed the channel to some thing not news and old movie on PBS ddog jumped up in my lap until I relaxed then she layed on the floor. Wor . My navy blue flag shirt shirt in honor of Vetrans day a parade today in our area.

I got a new bs monitor the memory fills up after a year.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:17 am

Never followed up to tell the supplements I'm still taking.
I take some antioxidants too - astaxanthin and ubiquinol, which is CoQ-10. Ubiquinol could be left off since it's not as effective as astaxanthin and I don't have a particular need for it. But I've been so impressed in the past with what I've read about how good it is for your gums, so there's my reasoning, such as it is.

Definitely taking the 2,000 IU Vitamin D through the winter, and every few days a Vitamin K2 softgel, because K-2 is so rare in foods and can help the body use the D, plus is great for bones and heart. If I go back to any unpasteurized fermented foods like sauerkraut, I could quit the K-2 because it would be in those. People who eat lots of fermented dairy get K-2 easily, but I'm trying to move away from that.

B-12 in the form of a melt-away pill under the tongue. 2,500 micrograms over a week's time is what I've read we need, so whatever pills add up to about that much, like 1,000 every other day or whatever. Bs are water soluble so no reason to fret over amounts. Everybody needs it since no animal or plant can make it - it comes from bacteria in the earth, and these days we wash our food pretty well.

Foods in capsule form:
I take some foods in capsule form to make sure I get them daily. Mainly garlic, which I have never stopped taking every day since my pneumonia. Also take organic alfalfa in capsules. I thought of taking tumeric in capsules but read advice that it's the same as what's right on the spice shelf. It doesn't affect flavors as much as garlic does, so I try to shake some on some savory food I am having every day and that costs nearly nothing.

Used to get Omega 3s from fish oil capsules, but got concerned about the mercury, PCBs and other toxins so no longer do that. HRH wanted to continue a supplement, though, so we went over to algae-derived Omega 3s that aren't from the ocean. I don't take it every day - it's more expensive, but they say it will get cheaper. Still listening for more current wisdom in this from the expert folks as they sift through hundreds of recent studies trying to make sense of toxins in fish, especially since the Japanese disaster.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:20 am

Glad I could get a chance to walk w ddog in early today the sun came put it rained in sheets later in the day. The walk also helped me to release stress and have endorphins up for the guild meeting. J & C. Has a few more details.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 pm

you all know I give a gift to myself every year... I know weird but it's fun for me.
This year is 365 days outdoors/nature (even if that means just being in nature for ten minutes - like going to our local forest preserve if it is freezing etc.)

I am starting early because I need it :D Nature always soothes my soul

I thought it would work here(in this post) because it is about health for me and keeping me sane 8-)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:55 pm

Raked leaves for exercise this year.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Harriet wrote:so your body cells are disappointed, saying, "aawwww, really?" and making sad puppy-dog faces at you. :| I don't make this up. This is science.

My belly laugh to this is 21 days late!

Oh well, at least I didn't skip this thread for the whole month and then miss that wonderful line!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Posting from the treadmill. Apparently, I haven't been on here since October. Back in the days of innocence (my bookmarks were all for sites that were taken by surprise on November 8th.)

I have yet to cuop posts. Have just read the first two and then gone back to see what Lucylee does take.
Magnesium
Calcium
Provicor (something that is supposed to lower cholesterol levels, dh ordered on internet)
One-a-Day multivitamin, women's formula
B-12
Trubiotic (probiotic)
Fiber capsules (recommended by gastro-doctor when I went for colonoscopy)

It is so few compared to me!

Morning:

Daily multivitamin, women's formula
vitamin C 500 mg
Vitamin D 1000 iu
Glucosamine/Chondroitin
Vitamin E (recommendation from both gp for dementia and later the rheumatologist.)

At night

Magnesium and Calcium plus a bit of D at night (one tablet)
Glucosamine/Chondroitin
vitamin E
Advil 200 mg.

If I feel I'm coming down with something I add Vitamin C and B complex at night.

Allegra or Claritin as needed (usually only daily for about 4 - 6 weeks of the year as I live above the pollen height now.)

If I miss my vitamins I can usually notice by mid afternoon. Missing them at night affects my sleep so I figure the joint stuff at least is doing its job.

Since starting Vit. D, my SAD has been noticeably less.

When I successfully do higher protein, the lack of carbs slows down my system so I often add in 2 - 3 fibre capsules at night before bed. Otherwise, I'm regular as clockwork.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Getting sick messed with my average step count. Even so, during the worst week I managed 5K steps daily on average (and that includes a day when I didn't wear my fitbit most of the day - but to fair, I probably didn't do more than 1K steps in the 8 hours before I noticed. Last week I started out still slow moving and ended up with over 8K per day on average. Had I been home all weekend, I would have made the 10K but the hours in the car and staying too far from town to walk while up the Valley meant '7all car all the time.'

If I don't get my numbers up today, I'll likely not make my average this week either. I need to start at least with 10K on Monday or I fall behind over the week. My new goal is 11K for at least 4 of the first 6 days so Sunday is not a catch up day.

I still have 2K to go for today so may not make it. I can only be on the treadmill another 8 minutes. Then I have to get back to work. In that time, I'll only manage 1K steps at most.

My weight is back to 170 (or at least it was on Saturday morning before Chinese last night and pizza tonight.)

I'll start back on higher protein again on Wednesday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 pm

I walked ddog this evening after dark glad to get that done. Walked half a block this afternoon but it was raining so we came back inside

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Made my 10K steps yesterday so back on the treadmill tonight. Only need 4K steps so about 30 minutes. Not sure if I'll stay on longer. Depends on how bored I am.

I'm coughing like crazy tonight. Skipped my decongestant this morning and am wondering if that is why. Oh well, I'll up vitamins and take an antihistamine before bed.

Answer: really bored, stayed on for the least amount of time I could and will likely go to bed with under 10K steps but close.

Return to “Healthy Habits”