Health and Fitness, January 2017

Share healthy living habits.
LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2017

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:24 pm

RR - YGG!!! You're doing great!

Tomorrow starts a 90 day transformation challenge with some local friends. We discussed several ways of doing the challenge - who loses the most pounds, who loses the biggest percentage of body weight, etc. Then someone came up with the idea of taking before and after pictures and using the biggest change as the winner. It doesn't matter to me because for me it isn't about winning, but about encouragement and motivation shared among friends.

I am going to attend a Weight Watchers informational meeting next Tuesday night. If there are 15 people who sign up to join WW at the meeting they will start having a local weekly WW meeting (instead of driving 40+ miles to attend a meeting). I'll join WW if I can attend a local meeting. WW has an offer to refund the cost if you lose 10 lbs in the first 8 weeks. It is a tempting challenge......

My daily activity has been almost nothing. I have been sick for a month and the steps reflect my lack of activity. Last week I averaged 2600 steps a day. ****groan**** It is what it is. I am going to try to keep my expectations low while my body heals, but I am going to try exceeding my steps from the day before.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:07 am

Forgot to do my arm work out w wts yesterday so I need to do that today. And get on the ex bike done or gazelle. :arrow:

And did it again today.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:50 am

Day 6

Scales haven't moved so I'm not gonna check it every day....don't want to loose my motivation.

Went to the gym yesterday and not near as sore as I thought I would be. Nonfitbit cause it was charging so I don't know about my steps...

Stayed on my eating plan so that's all I can do. One day at a time :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:20 pm

I did one lap around the inside of the house w the dog folliwing me that was fun. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi, everyone and best wishes on all your plans.

Exercise workouts 3 times a week with days off would be best for me. Also record keeping better.
I did a total t-tapp workout today. So by rights I should either take tomorrow off or just stretch.

Eating is good but not great. No where near the ideal days yet this year. But not a surprise really, since it was so hectic until now.

Baked sweet potato was wonderful yesterday.
Oatmeal with blueberries this morning, so good.
Comfort foods.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:52 pm

We decided to embrace the snow days and stay away from the grocery. Because we stocked up, our eating has been good. Healthy for us to have such a calm weekend after a busy time, too.

I've eaten well today with 14 checkmarks, and thought about trying for a checkmark-perfect food day, at least, even though I will not change my exercise schedule so wouldn't have that one. But the hunger is just not there today for the additional servings of bean, whole grain and veggie. I started the day with my omelet and even though that's a veggie serving of great stuff, it does have an egg. Also I shared a dessert slice with HRH and it was richer than I thought, and my hunger for healthier foods just disappeared after that.

Unless we could get in some grocery shopping tomorrow, which we had not intended, I may not be able to have a perfect day tomorrow, either, since I'm running out of greens. Possibly need to look at our cans and that will cover it. Tomorrow if I start the day with an oat or other whole cereal breakfast, I'll have a jump-start, plus tomorrow's an exercise day so in theory it could end up with every checkmark.

Note to self... . look into keeping more frozen greens on hand anytime there's a chance I won't get to grocery for a while.

Btw, did ya'll see the new Nei man Mar cus offering this past holiday season (Nov-Dec) of frozen collard greens for $66, shipping of $15.50, serves 8 to 10? :D I think somebody in marketing is out of touch with real life. However, one does have to admit it's healthy for all but the pocketbook.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:04 pm

To hormone dr today and had lost weight (about how much I already posted here - nothing spectacular but steady over a year, which she complimented) and had a systolic upper bp number of 118, which has not happened in my memory of getting bp taken.

The new scripts were called in and as usual there's a scare about my patch going way up in price. They are going to check it for me. It could be a true problem, but it does happen every time and then turn out to stay the same. I know that I can't expect that to last forever. If it does go up, I understand that the dr would prescribe a cream or some other method rather than have me face any big expense. I just don't like change.

Yesterday Maria Shri ver was on Dr O z and the topic was hormones and alzheimers with new research. I didn't catch it all because I wasn't engaged in the tv at all and heard from another room at first. But I told dr and she wants to check it out online so I'm glad I was able to share something she hadn't known. M S told about her own experience with replacement.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:20 pm

I have been doing snow removal as exercise & hen chores.
Shoveling and sweeping snow.
Playing fetch w ddog in the snow.
Got on scales w in of 5 lb. Pre holiday number so that was pretty good news I thought.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:01 am

During the past month of being sick, my health has declined shockingly fast. My brain was in a fog. My energy level plummeted. I gained 10 lbs!!! My steps became 1/4 of normal. THANKFULLY, I feel better now but I have a lot of physical damage to undo.

Tuesday night I joined WW online and started tracking SmartPoints on Wednesday. I have been pleasantly shocked how much WW has improved their app over the past couple of years. I tried WW app a couple years ago but it was frustrating to use compared to MyFitnessPal being easy to use. Now I am discovering what seems like the impossible - WW is easier to use than MFP. Maybe I am just in the honeymoon phase and the WW app will get more difficult to use?

As soon as the ice storm is over, I am going to return to my morning walks at the park. In the meantime, the treadmill will have to do.

The scales have dropped 8.8lbs this week. I'm thinking steroids and water are to blame for most of the weight gain. I'm feeling hopeful.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:42 am

Not sure if any of you read stories talking about 2/3 of the packaged food in Canada has 'added' sugar (taking into account all forms, not just sugar/HFCS) including places you would not expect to find it. The reporting is awful and if the study itself is as badly written, it is obviously a smear campaign against food producers, not an educational study.

Here's an example of the reporting:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/12/ad ... nada-study

This US source is better, pointing out 31% of the products tested in the study were sweets & snacks. I'll add that if you are upset to find added sugar in such products, you are an idiot.

http://acsh.org/news/2017/01/12/66-pack ... ugar-10729

Some of the headlines include: added sugar in baby formula. Details please. Of course there'd be added sugar in formula since it is mimicking breast milk which is 7% sugar. Is it more than the 7%? The reporting doesn't say.

It also talked about sugar in your breakfast cereal and even yogurt. Sorry, my breakfast cereal has no added sugar (just wheat and sale in the ingredient list) and neither does my yogurt - I buy plain and add the fruit and a 1/2 tsp of maple sugar flakes, myself.

Some of things they found sugar added to: fruit roll-ups, sweets, cookies, granola bars. I'm Shocked! Shocked, I say!

I think the true story here is that consumers are not bothering to choose non-sugar added foods and choosing to buy packaged cookies instead of baking their own. As well, they are not aware of how much sugar are in 'natural' products. For instance, one mother interviewed was shocked to discover the pure juice she was giving her kids had as much sugar as soda, but that's not a case of 'added sugar' it is just a case of the mother not realizing what foods have sugar in them (added or naturally occurring.)

The reporting didn't help with the 'sugar crisis' we are in. It should have highlighted how one can make good choices by reading the labels and that certain foods should be avoided entirely.

The reporting could have named non-added-sugar foods (plain yogurt, good cereals, and, since 14% of the snacks & sweets didn't have added sugar, those items should have been named.) That would have been useful reporting.

Return to “Healthy Habits”