Health and Fitness, January 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2017

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Restarting tracking using MyFitnessPal. Not sure how many times I've written this in the last 12 months but I'll keep doing so until I get back on track. It was Christmas 2015 that knocked me off the habit. Over the year, I gained only 3 pounds so that wasn't bad but added another 2 so far this month for some reason. So now I need to take control.

I have got back into doing a meal plan and that has helped cut the eating out down by almost half. So that is a step in the right direction. Now I have to make more changes, cutting down the amount of bread in the meals (dh loves garlic bread and I've joined him with it for the last two meals in a row, for instance.) Potato has also been creeping back into the diet. So both of those have been served notice (which means changing tonight's dinner of rolled-stuffed pork to simply cooked pork tenderloin.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 am

I did a short walk some in the field and finished up my exercise on the statiobery bike today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Kathryn, that was interesting. Sugar itself is not an enemy agent :) it's a plant (s), and the farming of it, historically, hasn't done damage any more than most others. The thoughtful, sensible use of it is fine. There's a big difference between that and levels that cause health problems, especially since addiction to these foods can be scary real. That's the correct point for media to address - are consumers naively continuing to purchase items without enough knowledge, and how can good reporting help. I agree with you that a whole section of a grocery store being condemned just makes the writer sound dumb - instead teach how to read labels, and what common additives or cleverly stated ingredients mean. Mention the good choices the consumer may be making.

Today I hit my low 2016 weight again, not seen since Dec 21. It took these 19 days after the holidays were over, then, to get me back to it. I think that's an interesting story about the holidays in a nutshell for me. I had been on a downward trend all the calendar year until Dec 21 and then a big blow to take, over less than 10 days. Time necessary to bounce back was greater than the time it took to ... fluctuate. ;)

Awww... poor little potato pushed to the back of Kathryn's drawer, saying, "don't be mad. I didn't do it, honest." :lol: Hey, what if you had a baked potato with only salsa? I know, then it's tempting to melt cheese (I probably would) and you might as well be having sour cream, gravy or butter with it, or frying it in oil. That's the tough thing for a potato. We know how good it tastes with other tastes.

Nancy, my dsecondmil offered us her stationary bike but it's very large and the truth is we don't have room. I was really torn about that - whether I will regret not making room.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Harriet, you commented on my steel cut oats in PWYC - I'm trying to move toward less processed foods. I have my oatmeal with a few nuts (currently slivered almonds) and a couple of T of craisins for sweetening. (Craisins do have a small amount of added sugar, but generally I'm cutting down on sugar.) Looking online, I do see a comparison that raisins are a better choice. I have a boiled egg with the oatmeal for breakfast.

I'm moving more toward the eating in the book Always Hungry. It's a higher fat, low carb less processed way of eating with three phases. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... 522463f-20

Kathryn,
you just inspired me to go to MFP. My step count has been abysmal lately.

Next week will be lots of sitting and not always able to plan meals in advance so I'm no sweating it. Will try to eat well and walk when I can.

BTW, I have entered my weight in my spreadsheet for 28 consecutive days, altho I am beginning to think I need a new scale because it comes up same as yesterday so many days.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Twins: double check your scale:

1. Weigh yourself, note number, get off
2. Get back on with something heavy (at least 4 lbs), note number, get off
3. Get back on as you did in step 1.

If 1 & 3 are the same, your weight hasn't changed. If not, it is a replay of the issue I had with my electronic scale years ago (back when I lost so much weight I was close to dh in weight.)

My scale that wouldn't give you a new number unless the old number was at least 2lbs different from the previous reading. This scale also displayed in 2/10th pound increments but wasn't really displaying in those increments.

I didn't figure this out until I lost enough weight that dh and I were within 2 lbs of each other. Then suddenly, I was no longer changing weight, it was the same day in day out. Until then, he was enough below me in weight that he did the 'reset' for me each day. So I had months of steady daily changes of .2 pounds or more, then nothing. And nothing, and nothing. I got suspicious and checked with dh. He was the exact same weight as me, every day too! I had been resetting it for him as well!

I decided to stop using that scale and bought an old fashioned dial one, with no electronics (the other one also tracked body-fat). I step on 2 - 4 times each time and take the most common reading so I can see why the other scale read the same thing every time - it would stop those people who were obsessing over 2/10ths of a pound. But at the same time it meant it was imprecise but masquerading as very accurate.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Day two of logging my food. Was under my calories for the second day in a row so am pleased. I'm also getting water in again.

It will be interesting to see if the scales budged.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:42 am

My stationary bike is small and does not take up much room,mit sort of folds up. U might look for one. But other things like tapping, vacuuming tread mill can also be exercise or even shopping work as well for exercise. I only use it in Dec, & Aug. The rest of the yr. I can walk and do outside stuff.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Weight was down 1.5 pounds this morning. I need to keep up with the MFP, it triggers better behaviour which leads to weight loss.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm

We took a walk dgd h dd today.
I did 30 min. On the stationary bike.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 pm

I fell off a cliff mid October when we began all that work over at 2H. I had no time or energy to put into this effort. While I was doing so much work I hardly felt hungry all day and in the evenings had no time to do lots of cooking and shopping. I took my menu and eating habits right off that cliff with me.

I quit weighing. Weighing daily means walking clear across the house in pj's and then going back to dress. Just got annoying to do that.

I'm not totally ready to commit to this, but today I did buy a cheap simple scale to put in the other side of the house. Had to laugh as I put it into the shopping cart next to a couple very tabu things. Sigh...

Somewhere around here is my motivation. I have no idea where it went, maybe I buried it over at 2H and now that we're not over there it's just gone gone gone. I thought once we were past this house thing I'd be able to focus again. Now we're into this knee thing, and you know if it's not one thing it's 10 others and I can always find an excuse. Need an excuse, I'll help you find one!

Baby steps. Going to at least get the scale out of the box...

Ok, editing Thursday. This morning I did get the scale out of the box and battery installed. Interesting, I checked my weight on it and on the one I used to use and the old one was 1.5 pounds higher than the new one. I guess I will just go by the new one. I think it's more accurate since I have noticed that when I go to drs. office her scale is always a bit less than my old one was.

And I noticed too that a little bit of motivation might have been hiding under that scale. I've been mindful of how I'm doing, especially as I picked my food so far today. I have a ways to get back down to last year's nicer number.

Return to “Healthy Habits”