Health and Fitness, April 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2017

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:35 am

This is going to sound really stuck up but I suspect you guys will forgive me.

Dh didn't have a logistically successful trip, which he blames partly on me not being with him. He really missed me and didn't sleep well and worried about being on his own. He's been asked to Barcelona for October and wants me to come with me. Barcelona is both wonderful (it is beautiful in parts) and icky (lots of petty crime and little English compared to Northern Europe) and it is a quick trip but to be honest, I don't want to go and have said so on many occasions. It is a very short trip because dgs' first birthday is on one side of it and preaching out of town is on the other side. So all that expense for something I don't want to do. If I could combine it with a trip to Copenhagen or London, that would be different. But we can't take the time.

So, he asked again last night since up until now it was hypothetical (if he did a good job at the conference this week, they'd pay for him to come to the conference in Europe and he did and they offered.)

Here's where health comes in:

I said I would go with him if I lose 30 pounds between now and then. That's about a 1.5 pound a week loss, aggressive but not unhealthy or impossible. And since we'll have to book my tickets in the summer, I said I will do so if I'm 160 on July 31 (that's 18 pounds down from where I am today, again 1.5 pounds/week.)

He doesn't understand the connection between weight loss and me going on the trip.

The connection is that I'm doing something for him but he has to do something for me. He's gone from making french fries for dinner once every 10 days or so to 2x a week. He wants to eat out all the time or has things here that I shouldn't have.

If I'm going to lose that weight he's going to have to compromise on where we eat when we eat out (basically only Swiss Chalet or Subway, and maybe the pub, but that's hard for me since I like the tortillas) and he's going to have to stop making french fries all the time (he's even started to make onion rings.)

He's also going to have to take me on walks to keep my step count up (but not to the bagel shop too often because it's a bagel shop.)

If he supports me on this, then I'll support him and go on the trip. But if he can't stop putting me in the way of temptation, then he'll have to travel on his own.

That's all I'm asking, that he stop eating things I have difficulty resisting.

He's been complaining about his weight lately and I think this might help him too.

Anyway, we'll see what difference it makes. He never complains about how big I am or how much of a slug I am or what I eat but, alternatively, many of the foods he loves literally make me sick and I regret having them (he cooks most of our meals) and his fitness routine gets in the way of my fitness routine.

He likes to wake up early but lie in bed for over an hour with me so I lose that hour of sleep, although sometimes I doze in and out. But he's disappointed if I get up and get going for the day. Around 7, he gets up and insists doing his email first each morning (30 - 60min) and then getting on the exercise bike for 60 minutes, then doing 30 minutes of floor exercises and then getting showered and dressed. So he comes to breakfast by about 10.

Up until then, he cannot answer the door (he hates wearing clothes) so I have to stay here to run interference. He also can't answer the phone and so I have to be available. And if I'm not quick enough to get showered and am expecting a call, I can't shower myself until he's done his routine because he indisposed and can't cover the phone for me. I just feel like I'm waiting for him to finish his routine before I can do anything like go for a walk.

It is now 10:30 and he just got another email so he's gone back to his computer but still has his floor exercises to do. So if he's suggested doing something outside the apartment with me, I have to wait until noon. And by then, I'm hungry for my lunch (he skips lunch all the time.)

Sorry for the whine. I'm congested and have a headache and feel put upon and unsuccessful and exhausted and dh just wants me to go back to traveling with him. And yet, he's not earning money any more so not only is this something I don't want to do (partly because it is impossible to eat healthily while traveling) it is something there is no travel budget for. He gets all sorts of accolades (he's just been nominated for another award) but none of this pays money, it is all high-level volunteering, where his work is turned into products that make money for other companies.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:25 pm

K in C it did not seem like whining to me at all but more like processing.

I have had some not my food issues cone up here in the last week or two in our house.

I am not geting my way with my schedule here this week things beyond my control. But things for others worse than for me.

Noting what helps or does not help...
After chineese food last night I am more stiff & achey. Need to move knitting is NOT helping at all lol!

Some better back from my rock walk, got some to paint.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Nancy, that's exactly what it was, processing. Thanks for giving me a word for it.

Delivered the newsletters for this building. Left my fitbit on my computer so didn't get credit for the steps for that or the work involved in moving the china cabinet. Not a lot but at least 500 maybe 1000. (For some reason, walking downstairs is only worth 500 steps. It is a lot of effort but not many steps.)

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 am

Kathryn - your reasoning all seems quite sane to me.
Nodding at the food temptations. I need to not have those anywhere, with me considering them, on my normal circuit. Can you spell your concerns out to him?
Personally, I don't think I'd be so generous with my morning plans given his being 'otherwise occupied', but then, I'm not married so maybe its just selfishness on my part, and a successful marriage calls for such give and take.
Financially - I see your points too. His ego is stroked, but the reality is there is a cost financially, and a cost to you and your time if you go with him.
Its good to see his contribution recognised. Would they pay for you/someone to accompany him, and cover food and travel allowance?

Sometimes I am successful at >8 hrs in bed. Sometimes I even sleep perhaps 7 hrs - a rarity though.
Food wise - trying to get back to what works best for me, consistently, and give up on breakfast out of a box.
Walking - trying to do some more often. Sans dog, its no habit.
Recovery from yard work - trying to pace myself better. I find it hard when someone comes to help. And then I wish they would just go home. My lunch supplies for others is not much. Talk can just drag on.
And not to do nothing after those active days.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Kathryn - Would it be possible for you to get your exercise in while your dh is doing his? Your treadmill steps are probably at a quicker pace than your outside walking steps. In 90 minutes you could get in some strength training or do an exercise video too.
Best wishes for working out a plan to meet your goals.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:51 am

Runkitty: treadmill doesn't work well while he's on the bike.

The bike and treadmill are right next to each other (14" between them) but dh watches videos while he's on the bike and if I'm on the treadmill that will increase the noise in the room a lot.

Noise in the room is a problem - the bike and treadmill are tucked behind a screen in the office, so if he's working on tough stuff, I don't like to do the treadmill either.

I've decided not to walk to church today so will do the treadmill in 15 minutes. He's doing his email right now so we'll overlap. I'll see how that goes this morning.

BTW: I actually walk faster, or at least the same, outside because I am easily bored on the treadmill so surf the net or even work while on the treadmill. I can type non-important things at 3 mph and I can process/type a church service at about 2.5 mph. I can't read beyond 3 mph either. I can't watch a video (which is what dh is doing on the bike.)

Outside, I easily walk 3 mph if I have music or am late and it often works out that I'm sustaining 3.3 to 3.6 mph (depending on the distance and if I hit the lights right, although there are routes in this area where I can walk long distances without having to stop for lights or even people.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm

OK, my first indication that dh is taking this challenge seriously.

I didn't get on the treadmill or out for a walk to day. Early in the day he asked if I wanted to come with him this evening when he walked with NFD and I said no. Then he asked again before he was leaving saying maybe I wanted to get my steps in. So I went with him about 3/4 of the way and came back on my own. That was enough for almost 3 miles so I've got my 10K in for the day.

And I managed to not stop at either grocery store, the convenience store or the fancy dessert place I passed on the way home by myself. I just had an apple.

I've been munching all day but in general healthy foods. Just a lot of them.

Return to “Healthy Habits”