Health and Fitness, June 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2017

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 am

Wow, has been over a week since anyone posted here!

I am perhaps transitioning into the "Always Hungry" way of eating - The book title doesn't mean that one is always hungry, but it is a way to cut cravings (sugar and carbs) and then ease back into eating some of then, depending on how one reacts. It's a higher fat, higher protein, lower carb way of eating.

I've been accumulating ingredients and tools but not sure when/how to do a formal start. Perhaps will end up with a transition. My breakfast food has generally been Phase II, so once my cooked steel cut oatmeal is gone I'll start with the breakfasts which include cooked eggs and protein shakes with fruit.

We have another wedding weekend next weekend - a rehearsal dinner and then wedding the next day so I hesitate to try to "work around" the food at those events.

Dfriend M is also considering way of eating - we won't start at the same time but hopefully will be able to use each other for support. Also an active Facebook group.

The website is here if anyone is interested: https://www.drdavidludwig.com/
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Yesterday I did ex. Bike for my exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Harmony, I'd bet that hearing thing is going to be temporary, too. I have so many ingredients for my coffee now - cutting down on caffeine like you, so half reg half decaf, and cutting down on dairy so half cream and half almond cream, lol, and then cocoa because, well, it's cocoa! :lol:

Nancy, ds and HRH were walking toward each other, talking as they walked to meet, about a project. Suddenly ds stopped on a dime nearly falling, and HRH thought he got hurt - nope, a long snake crossing his path! Oooookay... .. traffic!

Twins' that's interesting - Ludwig has a point about how cutting back on calories can create a mental battle with hunger. I agree about providing the body with plenty of calories. I don't think his ideas are going to do anything about the chronic diseases, though, and since those are what's "out to get me", lol, they're first on my mind. I want to eat what the longest lived peoples eat, so it's the filling starches for me, and variety produce heavy on the greens. He's right that we may as well have full fat dairy if we have it. A decrease in dairy is the direction I'm heading.

Cravings that will do me in, in the evenings, are as likely to be for cheese or for buttery/oily items, as for sugar. Cheese is such a strongly addictive food chemically - has become a real problem for me. The cookies are gone (in fact the grandchildren complain, lol) but I will turn around and realize I've had some cheese I didn't even plan or intend, and then the scale shows a gain anyway.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Ack! On the snake in Harriet's dsons path.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Have been consistent with morning exercise, but in order to do that I stick with workouts that are protective of my back. Floor work more often. I still worry about morning flexibility, but notice that flexibility seems better the rest of the day if I do try this in the mornings. The jury is still out, I guess.

Visit to dbil John was as inspiring as ever. I'm so happy for him, experiencing health to the point of gardening outdoors in spite of predictions. He says it's been 3 years since his diagnosis and he's 2 1/2 years out from the 6-month best-case-scenario he was given.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I was finally able to walk slowly today 1 mi. No cane or walking stick. Glad for that progress. :mrgreen:

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:48 am

More filling breakfast today on the AH plan. Two eggs plus and egg white, fried, with their Ranchero sauce over - I substituted a sugar free thick salsa. Plus a cup of berries and 1/2 cup full fat Greek yogurt. I'm in phase I, where fat is supposed to be 50% (of calories? not sure.)

Phase one, two weeks, is supposed to reset the body so it "understands" that you're not starving. No sugar, no wheat/rice carbs, no tropical fruit, no alcohol. The underlying theory is that we get fat from sugar (including carbs that spike the glycemic index), not from fat.

Next time I'll put the berries over the greek yogurt. It's so thick it's hard to scoop up!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 pm

I have consistently reduced my coffee consumption this month and it's not a huge problem. I'm not craving it first thing in the morning any more, sometimes I wait a bit before I pour that first 3/4 cup.

Looked at Twins' link about the AH diet. My goodness....another diet. In the year 3000 how many diets do you suppose will have been on the market? Anyway, Twins, I hope it works for you and is easy to follow.

The other day I had mostly protein, and by the early evening thought I was going to die. Had some carbs then; by morning I was ok again. I don't know how anyone adjusts to Adkins, just how long does that take? I didn't do it on purpose, it just sorta happened. I have this huge cheese addiction Harriet spoke of. If I had a choice between cake and cheese, it'd be the cheese, hands down!

Today with that hard cement work ahead of me, I thought I'd balance my protein / carbs so I'd not have a blood sugar thing. Had 2 eggs with a slice of cheese on them, 2 pieces of toast with a little butter and a little jam for instant sugar. Still had that sugar "spike" after I'd done an hour of work. Maybe it was just the heat.

I have a goal for this last year of working; to get better in shape, more stamina, less weight. In the first week, I can tell this is not going to be easy.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:29 am

This week I did some yard work cleaned the chickens run, pruned apples and thinned them and some cherry sized plums.

Vacuuming floors ex this week.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am

Doc wants me to get 30 exercise daily. Ddog isn't able to walk that long yet, today I need to get in 30 min walking either inside or upstairs on treadmill.

Return to “Healthy Habits”