Health and Fitness, July, 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2017

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 pm

ddog is doing better only short walks to corner bc of my sore knee. Did a few rounds of yard work yesterday picking up apples and pruning. Remembered my arm ex. so that is good.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:42 pm

I lost yesterday

hi everyone

today:
worked in yard
I did have a venti iced one pump mocha with 2 % milk :o I have to break that habit.
english muffin/boiled egg
breakfast

I spent a lot of time outside today; it always makes me happy.
No lunch today - I was not hungry

I am going to the gym soon as it's hot here.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Harriet mybe you can do some homemade baked sweet potato chips for a snack. Might be yummy.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 pm

that sounds good d nancy

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:00 am

ate 1/2 a pint of ben and Jerry's new york fudge chunk at night. why - I have no idea - I did it - its done - I got it out of my system but not happy I do this. I bought it and brought it home - I had planned on having a little every so often - it doesn't work - I just can't bring it home :|

so proud of d mom - she walked 2.1 miles with dd younger yesterday! She wanted to keep going - awesome.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Gee, blessed, that's cool about your dmom.

helia, how's your shoulder?

I'm doing something funny. Because I lost a half-pound from yesterday to today and felt very well, I'm eating exactly what I ate yesterday just to be sure I get all the "good" out of whatever things I did right, lol!

Having it in a (open office) document on the 'puter makes this easy for me. I don't have to try to remember what I did. No matter what the scale says (more, less or holding pattern :D ), I imagine tomorrow I'll eat completely different things since my favorite food is variety ;) . Just experimenting. The best thing about the document is the checkoff part but it is also good to post what I ate.

Bought HRH some of the new (to me) probiotic tablets that are time-release. The theory is that they are like enteric-coated aspirins in that they travel further before dispersing. They have a better chance of depositing what they're carrying where it's needed rather than chancing the stomach acid killing everything in the first place. HRH always has a little more need, we think, because of his digestive history, especially the gall-bladder removal.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Two years after my gall-bladder surgery I discovered the benefit of probiotics. I took them for a while (at least a few months) and then cut back to only when I'm ill or my system complains because of too much grease. Foods I couldn't eat for those 2 years are now staples in my diet again (for example 2 eggs in an omelet instead of 1 egg and 1 egg white - I might do that to reduce fat or calories but I don't have to do it now.)

One thing the new tracker does is give me blood oxygen saturation. Since we breathe off our fat (here's the explanation; http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... does-it-go ) I figure the more oxygen I have the more chance the molecules will bind to the carbon to be breathed out. I'm starting to think that that's the point of exercise to lose weight - not to use up energy but to increase the oxygen you breathe in and the C02 you breathe out. I remember decades ago seeing a tv magazine show have a segment on a woman who believed she could breathe to burn fat without having to exercise. I wonder if she was just lucky that science proved her right years later or if she had done the science herself but no-one would take her seriously.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 am

Interesting article, Kathryn. Thanks for sharing it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:53 am

Hiya, RunKitty!

That's a fascinating addition for the tracker, Kathryn. I'll have to tell ds that exists. He'll be interested, I think, because he does the fitness training at work, but also because he himself is bradycardic (low heart rate) like my ddad. Will go back and read the link. Over the summer, a mini-experiment has been taking place in my home. Dd18 is gaining some - she's surprised some jeans are getting tighter. 2 things to explain it, possibly - she chooses her own food and eats in her own home, so one point to make is that she's not nervous or ill-at-ease while eating surprise food with strangers. But also, she's not walking all over a far-flung campus (like a small city) anymore, taking outdoor stairways and hills. Can't help but think there's a further explanation than just the meals here, even if we do know the theory of "set caloric thresholds of expenditure" now. :) Certainly she was breathing deeply at times over the school year, as you mention. Hmmm... ...

And the scale says today ... ... a little more loss. So that was a nice experiment. I've put enough info about it in the document that I could find it quickly some other day and choose to eat the same again. A nice option, in case too much prepared food or whatever causes a gain. I hadn't actually had a gain, just noticed a "blip" down more than normal in a general slowwww retreat from higher weight.

I broke over and called the practice where our now-absent dr was our family physician for years, and asked to come in for annual blood work that is way overdue. Not too much of a surprise, but they withhold blood testing until you see a dr first. I questioned this with the receptionist and I think I did convince HER that this is not necessarily the wisest order of events, but of course that makes no difference. I'll have an appt at 10 Friday and afterward be allowed to have the exact same blood work done that they have always done. :roll: They already know this will happen, and know I will need to fast. Then, I suppose, the dr will eventually look at it and decide whether there was anything we SHOULD have talked about back at the time of the appt. :roll: But by then, there will be no talking to a dr about it, just a set of numbers online. Oh, well.

Kinda agonized over which of two drs to choose. The very obese fellow is SO nice but has misdiagnosed and over-reacted a few times for our family, plus, how can I talk to him about fitness/weight/eating/exercise - just can't. The woman is the one who told HRH not to get used to her because she was retiring. Now receptionist tells me she's not retiring, just on part-time hours. Hmmm... ... Finally I decided, well, she's a woman like me, close to my age, and sometimes I need to talk about woman-stuff for all I know, so I'll be seeing her. Now find out HRH thinks I should have chosen the obese fellow who will stay with us. Sigh.

Kathryn, I'm not taking probiotics right now, but jumped right back on them, of course, after being prescribed a steroid about a year ago. Firmly believe I'll start them again any time following any antibiotics or steroid, and oh... ... so glad you brought up this subject... ... just thinking I should tell dstepson to take them following his current course of steroids because of poison ivy. I myself have never had any digestive struggle except the acid reflux/gastritis that started when my dmom was first hospitalized, but of course experienced awful complications when the pneumonia prescriptions took my digestive health down.

HRH had an abdominal digestive surgery as a child (probably ill-advised, but no one can remember much about it anyway since it was during the "doctors are unquestionable" time period and his parents were young and impressionable). That, coupled with his seeming inherited tendency toward digestive ills (2 maternal first cousins died of Chron's) and lactose intolerance, plus the gall bladder removal, which may not have had the good results of others, have conspired to make him more vulnerable (in my eyes, and I'm the one nagging).

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:53 am

Oh how great to see you RunKitty!!!

I am back on my low carb eating...not weighing every day, but I have lost and inch around my stomach area... not my waist since starting on Monday. I'll take it :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”