Health and Fitness, July, 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2017

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Blessed...
I can relate to binge eating. When I was a child I had a thyroid problem and had to loose 15lbs when I nine. Later in childhood I would spend 25 cents for five candy bars and eat all
Of them from the time I left the store till I got home. However I was very active during that time so I didn't gain weight. I also became a closet eater for many years as an adult ... favorite place to eat was in the bathroom so no one could see me.

Years later I read an interesting book entitled... its no what you eat, but what eating you. This was when I realized I was an emotional eater and that explained much of my unhappy childhood and marriage.

After I divorced and was with an other very loving man I decided to break the chain. I made an apple pie, cut a slice and decided to eat it in front of him. Simple, yes???

No I had never eaten "forbidden food" in front of anyone for years. My loving friend knew what I was doing and when I cut the pie I broke out in a sweat. And when I carried my plate to the table my hand shook so hard the pie almost feelnoff the plate ... and when I brought the pie to my mouth I thought I would puke.

However I ate it and in front of some one. As time went on I learned to change my eating habits and formany years stayed at or around 120-123. I ate what I wanted but my portions were much smaller.

Meds may me bloom and I almost hit 160. That's when I learned I was sleep eating.. stress was behind it and it took three years to get it under control.

I do have a difficult time eating after dinner. Something that has never bothered me in the past. I have found a large mug of heral tea... I like constant comment decaf with stevia... really quells my sugar hunt as in I hunt around the house for sweet things to eat.

My guess is you're much like me... food, especially sweets and high carb stuff, and the want for it is tied to my emotions...it's the one thing that makes your brain happy until you fall a k on feeling guilty about what you' e done

Then you get down on yourself and prove once again you really are the Failur that all those people tell you you are.

It's a very vicious cycle and easy to repeat.

The trick lies not in the food you eat... you're smart enough to know how to eat... but the why of what you're doing.

The hardest part of loosing weight is not what goes in your mouth but rather what is going one between your ears. It IS the reason why all the winners of those weight loss shows gain back all their weight...they've been taught how to eat, but no one has address the cause for their weight, so they go back to their old eating habits because those thoughts between their ears have not been changed.

I am on Day 5. Made roasted cauliflower and merange cookies. I'll eat some of those with my hot tea tonight
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Blessed...
I can relate to binge eating. When I was a child I had a thyroid problem and had to loose 15lbs when I nine. Later in childhood I would spend 25 cents for five candy bars and eat all
Of them from the time I left the store till I got home. However I was very active during that time so I didn't gain weight. I also became a closet eater for many years as an adult ... favorite place to eat was in the bathroom so no one could see me.

Years later I read an interesting book entitled... its no what you eat, but what eating you. This was when I realized I was an emotional eater and that explained much of my unhappy childhood and marriage.

After I divorced and was with an other very loving man I decided to break the chain. I made an apple pie, cut a slice and decided to eat it in front of him. Simple, yes???

No I had never eaten "forbidden food" in front of anyone for years. My loving friend knew what I was doing and when I cut the pie I broke out in a sweat. And when I carried my plate to the table my hand shook so hard the pie almost feelnoff the plate ... and when I brought the pie to my mouth I thought I would puke.

However I ate it and in front of some one. As time went on I learned to change my eating habits and formany years stayed at or around 120-123. I ate what I wanted but my portions were much smaller.

Meds may me bloom and I almost hit 160. That's when I learned I was sleep eating.. stress was behind it and it took three years to get it under control.

I do have a difficult time eating after dinner. Something that has never bothered me in the past. I have found a large mug of heral tea... I like constant comment decaf with stevia... really quells my sugar hunt as in I hunt around the house for sweet things to eat.

My guess is you're much like me... food, especially sweets and high carb stuff, and the want for it is tied to my emotions...it's the one thing that makes your brain happy until you fall a k on feeling guilty about what you' e done

Then you get down on yourself and prove once again you really are the Failur that all those people tell you you are.

It's a very vicious cycle and easy to repeat.

The trick lies not in the food you eat... you're smart enough to know how to eat... but the why of what you're doing.

The hardest part of loosing weight is not what goes in your mouth but rather what is going one between your ears. It IS the reason why all the winners of those weight loss shows gain back all their weight...they've been taught how to eat, but no one has address the cause for their weight, so they go back to their old eating habits because those thoughts between their ears have not been changed.

I am on Day 5. Made roasted cauliflower and merange cookies. I'll eat some of those with my hot tea tonight
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Tracking using MFP and making sure I'm averaging my 10K steps per day has resulted in a 2lb drop this week. I'm also weighing almost daily now. Before I would only weigh under 'perfect' circumstances.

I have to really push myself to get the steps in since I'm 'missing' about 1500 a day from what the fitbit counted. And the PulseOx also doesn't give me credit for any walk under 20 minutes.

Not sure I'll be able to keep this up but will do this one week at a time, one day at a time. It takes a lot of time to think through what to eat and when to move.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 am

Sharing my experience with Air Fryer -......I love it.

Several of my friends got an Air Fryers last year and were very pleased with using them. But I held off getting one because it just seemed to be another appliance that has a special use that can be mimicked with convection oven.......or so I thought. After seeing so many WW people menu that was using the Air Fryer, I decided to get one. I am still learning how to use it but am using it 3-5 times a week. DH and the kids give it 2 thumbs up. We have liked everything we have cooked in it so far. I have been experimenting with cooking 1/2 of my recipe in the Air Fryer and the other half using conventional method. The Air Fryer has "won" every one of my experiments. I am glad I bought it. I did my research and decided to get a big one because I usually cook for several people each meal. I am using the Tristar Power AirFryer XL from Sam's.

A few weeks ago I decided to give up french fries. They are ridiculously costly (WW smart points). I don't ever order them but I would eat some from DH or the kids' order. It was HARD the first couple of times to not put one in my mouth, but it is becoming easier now. The Air Fryer cooks them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. So I have decided that I will eat french fries and hash browns at home when they are cooked with no oil in the Air Fryer.

I have been logging every BLT (bite, lick, taste) and staying within my points. I am FRUSTRATED to be stalled. I have heard of the plateaus that apparently are common, but I DON'T LIKE THEM.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am

thank you so much d rose! thank you for sharing. very helpful - more helpful than you know

I get so bored at night when the tv is on - I always used tv for depression to space out - I am struggling with what to do next.

things I am working on:
not moving bc I no longer have the d kids to go with
not being physically fit enough to go out with people my own age who are active
(I used dh's not wanting to go places as an excuse)
I have no focus on the house and feel guilty that I don't work on th house and then feel guilty if I do take time for myself
again going by myself but being afraid to join others even though I love people - they are in better shape than myself
boredom - huge but it's my own deal

Keep on swimming will be my focus on health and exercise. ;)

i did good last night... hoping to have another good night on not binging
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm following this way of eating but not losing weight. It is supposed to be very slow weight loss anyway. I know I am eating healthier and that I probably need to look at portion size. Recommends stopping when one is 80% full. I need to add more exercise than I'm getting too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm

I walked the dog.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:12 pm

took a long walk along Northwestern Uni. the water color was so unusual today. my pictures are on the members only: I always love this time of year there because they have student/parent tours going on.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Such good discussion here, everybody. Ya'll are interesting folks.

LadyM, I just recommended the Instant Pot at lunch yesterday with friends, and the guy beside me whipped out his phone and looked it up on A-River right away when I said it was great for both rice and beans, lol. I know the Air Fryer might be good for HRH, who loves potatoes fixed all ways. I have not purchased one yet. So far, he seems happy with baking when he does fries. Oil is going to be 120 calories a tbls no matter what, so when we can get by with less it's a good thing.

Btw, the restaurant that friends chose for us offered a great menu for my hopes. I had collards and black eyes, rice and slaw with cooked apples for dessert (we all had same dessert) - super good. And there were at least that many other veggie choices I would have enjoyed but couldn't try it all. How cool is that - friends were very thoughtful. Nice to have found another restaurant with bright things to eat. The sodium was probably high, but that's all restaurants.

I've been obsessing a little over numbers from blood work. My red blood cell counts are all uniformly high, like my ddad's. I was specifically told back then that it wasn't inherited and so I didn't keep his records. Sigh. But of course I remember him having his "blood draws" (meaning actually taking blood as if for donation, in order to reduce the number of red blood cells). I rest somewhat assured that his health was always excellent. I don't think he knew about this at all when he was 61, though - they did those during his 90s. At lunch, the friend who is a nurse told me that a couple of her aunts went semi-regularly for "blood draws", too.

(I also spoke to this nurse friend about my anxiety and not being able to sleep on Saturday nights thinking about church. That was a good conversation to get out. She emailed me this a.m. just to reassure some more.)

Anyway, chipping away at the lipids , cholesterol is down by 48 points and into "good" range, where it's never been since they started poking me for it in 2011. LDL down by 49. I'm still chasing behind HRH's better numbers as I always have on these, and we have been pondering why, since we think of me as the careful-eating one.

Number one thought is the cheese, since I'm an addict and he's never been, so I'm glad I've started to monitor it. Also, I'm my mother's daughter - and she and her twin always had the cholesterol discussions with drs. HRH's family, not so much. And thyroid med might need tweaking - that could have something to do with it.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

interesting d harriet - I never heard of that (red blood cells and donations) before- praying your other numbers become perfect! so great that your numbers are down in your cholesterol

trying to keep myself busy at night to control non hungry eating. emptied car - will do french now.

Return to “Healthy Habits”