Health and Fitness, August 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2017

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 am

All 24 checkmarks again yesterday for another perfect day.
But again, was partially in response to a bad day the day before (Tues). :(

Tuesday a too-acid bottled spaghetti sauce surprised me with :twisted: heartburn :twisted: - first time in so long and I didn't respond very well. I did remember to eat a stalk of celery (helps ph level in tummy but takes time). The surprise and pain drove me to eat a waffle dstepson had brought home from WHouse, that I would normally avoid. Sigh. Probably the soft bread did comfort/absorb enough to allow reasonable sleep later, but a poor choice otherwise.

Anyway, a step back, then a step forward. Hopefully the good TRENDS overcome the difficulties.

LadyM, one thing I didn't remember yesterday, that might have to do with idea of eating protein all day long. The body has stores of all 20 amino acids. Called endogenous as opposed to dietary. It picks and chooses what to let go of, what to add from incoming foods. It's doesn't let go of any that are needed and keeps it all balanced. The process to mix from the 2 directions of dietary and endogenous is constant, so maybe that's why the idea of spreading protein equally over the day's meals. To me it's freeing to know my body will make the decisions about what I offer it, and hold on or toss out correctly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I am glad you got all 24 points checked off yesterday but also hoping today you are feeling much better.

to everyone - cheering you as you work towards the trend of health and fitness!

I still struggle at night. I am not sure what I will do but I have to do something to change the nighttime roaming binge.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Blessed... keep some easy to eat protein on hand like cut upped cooked chicken breast or lunch meat or hard boiled eggs around. Eating small amounts of protein after dinner and closer to your bed time should help. And make sure you eat some sort of protein at least three times a day . You can also buy some sugar free hard candy to keep on hand. Usually a piece of too helps me at night.

When I find myself forging during late hours these really save me from devouring cookies and bread which are my down falls. You needs to plan ahead so you have these ready to eat when you need them. Wal mart sells packages of cooked chicken over by their meat dept. I use them all the time.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 am

Blessed - I am right there with you with the night time binges. I am having success by planning my binges. :roll: Instead of fighting it (and losing) I decided to embrace it. I acknowledge that EVERYONE says eating late at night is not healthy. I do not think what I'm doing is recommended by anyone in the health profession. However, IMHO pretending that it isn't happening and overeating is worse. So I save calories for my night time eating. On some days it is when I eat the most of my food. By planning my night time binge eating I can control what I will eat and make sure my night time binge eating includes -
** carbs = I have learned that I need the carbs to sleep.
** Protein - I need the protein to keep my blood sugar in check.
** lots of chewing. I need the night time binge eating to take some time in order to satisfy my binge mentality.
** different flavors and textures - sweet/sour. Salty/crunchy Smooth/sweet

My current go-to night time binge meals are a fruit bowl, popcorn bowl, oatmeal bowl and or a peanut butter lollipop

Fruit bowl is around 300 calories. It typically includes
** Ambrosia Apple cut into small chunks
** Frozen Blueberries
** Greek Yogurt plain
** Cinnamon
** Chocolate syrup (sugar free)
** Spray whip cream

My Popcorn/yeast bowl is 160 calories and includes -
** Popcorn (air popped)
** spray butter
** salt
** Nutritional yeast

My Peanut butter Lollipop is 120 calories and includes
** Peanut butter 1 T
** Honey 1 tsp

My Oatmeal bowl is 260 calories and includes
** Oatmeal 1/3 c
** Chia Seeds 1 T
** Applesauce 1/2 c

By planning my binge food I get the satisfaction that my brain needs without dumping a bunch of unhealthy crap into my body. I have years of experience of standing in the pantry or in front of the refrigerator and eating whatever I can find in unlimited qualities. When I am binging late at night there is no feeling of being full. I can eat endless quantities. I'm not proud of that but I acknowledge the truth of it. I can't seem to quit the late night binge eating but at least I'm not overeating now because of it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:06 pm

I also have the nutritional yeast here for sprinkling, bought in bulk section. Have not yet put chia into my oatmeal - will have to think on that though since I do have the ground chia in the fridge for a particular shake recipe. I do usually put hemp seeds and ground flaxseed on oatmeal. Ambrosia apple is great, isn't it - we think Pink Lady and Opal are good, too. I am not a fan of the hard, Granny Smith types for fresh eating, and not a fan of anything that isn't crisp in texture such as the Deliciouses - spoiled by variety now, I guess!

The small potato has been good for me in the evening. I don't reach for it often, but knowing it's so quick to have ready for a comfort snack is helpful. Actually, I can microwave, and it's super quick. I've learned microwave times for wax-paper-wrapped, stabbed potatoes of various sizes and can look at one and do the calculation in my head fast. I would put my salsa on, but right before bed... ... maybe not! Fine for anyone without heartburn fears.

(Also can do that for individual corn on the cob for alone lunches - one rinsed, wrapped diagonally in wax paper with ends twisted, 3 mins on high, wait to cool.)

Oh well, time to think about baking a cake! :lol: Family eats with us tomorrow evening to celebrate dd18's bday. How can I pretend cake will be healthful? Well, it will have fresh fruit, so there's an attempt!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 am

hi! cheering you all on

still trying!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:57 pm

last evening I walked the dog one mi. today ladder work getting apples out of the tree and moving the ladder walking a bit packing rocks as well.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Yesterday ds and children were here and I made the "Eat Your Greens Smoothie" recipe and he shared it. He kept insisting it was fine but the children were suspicious because his smile was a little tight-jawed when he "proved" to them that Daddy liked it. He said why so thick, so I guess the smoothie concept of a thicker green drink is not his favorite. I hadn't thought of it being new to him. Dd19 and I have gotten so used to it we don't think about it. I used to juice in a Champion juicer rather than blend in a Vita Mix or Nutri Bullet, so that's probably the texture he expected me to be giving him again.

Fruits and the changing seasons -
Lately have learned that you can really ruin enjoyment of a mango by cutting it before full ripeness. :? Otherwise, am loving the fresh mangoes in the stores now with breakfasts. The rambutan fruit has been very good - I would buy it again next year (it's only available for about 2 weeks) even knowing that it takes some work to get to the fruit. I saw a beautiful photo of figs and now I am wishing I'd had more of them this year - I served them at dd's bday party and thought they'd be around at the stores longer but they are gone.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:07 pm

A funny wondered what Harriet was doing with 24 chipmunks then reread it said check marks!.

Return to “Healthy Habits”