Health and Fitness, August 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August 2017

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:49 pm

What a great thread we had for July - long and lots of bright thoughts. Check that out!

It seems we are living by very brief words of wisdom, lately! No area of life is so dominated by one-sentence philosophy than our fitness and health. Sometimes rude and sometimes sweet motivational one-liners.

These are some of the "meme"s or "poster quotes" about health that can be found EVERYWHERE lately, it's just that these are "anonymous" ones without names attached. So there's no one to feel complimented OR get their feelings hurt ( lol ) about our opinions on these short philosophies. Are these valid? Are they accurate? What do you think? Are any of these WORTHY of being hung on YOUR fridge, or above the screen at which you do an exercise routine? Are any worth needlepointing? Have you got a real PROBLEM with any?

YOU control what your body looks like.

Whatever the problem is, the answer is not in the fridge.

Today, just get up and go, because yesterday you said, "Tomorrow".

The fact that you aren't where you want to be should be motivation enough.

Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not a punishment for what you ate.

My heart says chocolate but my jeans say, for the love of God, woman - eat a salad.

If you have any August successes or disappointments, please share - we are truly interested. Are there any goals you have reached (or small goals on the way)? Do you have a helpful idea or tip you've just gotta tell about? Is your scale safe for another day or do you have "window repair" on your to-do list? Do tell.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2017

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 pm

This mo. Gave up daily 4 sq. of chocolate cut back to 1 sq. and no cream cheese in the a.m. and cut back on having meat to only meal a day. So far so good. Shaving off sme more calories. Having a salad or two a day.

My exercise incudes moving water hoses. It is 105* at 6:35 p m according to my tablet.

Wed. 107* @ 4:31 my tablet says. Feeling a bit under the weather. Some watering moving hoses, and stairs doing laundry.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 am

Last night I set my August health goals to be
** Lose 4 lbs. I would dearly love to lose more but my body doesn't seem to be cooperating. I don't want to set an unachievable goal so I will stick with 1 lb a week. If I keep calories to around 1200 daily and exercise daily over 30 minutes non-stop (breaking a sweat) then I will lose about 1 lb a week.
** Increase daily steps another 1000 a day. It is taking me a long time to rebuild from last winter when I stopped walking. As long as I keep on keeping on, I think I will get there.
** Start riding my bike. My August goal is to just get on my bike and pedal. After I do that a month then I'll set a mileage or minute goal.
** Play basketball. My August basketball goal is to daily have the ball in my hands and bounce it at least once. I'm working on establishing tiny habits so I'm not overwhelmed and give up.

Other habits that I am doing well on but I need to monitor so I don't stop =
** Drink water. I have purple water bottles that I fill up each morning and I make sure they are all empty by the end of the day. I am having 100% success with this. (Note: everyone in the house has their own color of water bottles so we don't get them mixed up. Purple = me, Blue = DH, Green = DS8 and Pink = DGD6.)
** Walking daily at sunrise. I am enjoying this time and look forward to it.
** Logging all my food 6 days a week. I consider Tuesday logging to be optional.
** Weigh each day. I need this daily accountability.
** Attend WW meetings. This is HUGE in keeping me on track and motivated. I need that accountability of stepping on their scales each week. The meetings are motivating with a good leader and lots of group interaction. I learn something new at every meeting.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:27 am

Oh, Nancy, hope you cool down there soon!

Congratulations on your successes, LadyM. I remember your water-bottle-color plan - GREAT JOB! That's wonderful to have people to talk to - I bet you are someone they look forward to seeing, too.

I continue to pay the most health-attention to the record-keeping of types of foods I intend to get in each day and how many servings, making sure of the nutrition. I do lose weight a bit at a time, which has been going on as a trend through 2016 and '17, but is kind of coming along for the ride.

July loss reached 1 pound, which is more than usual. I'd look for no more than half a pound in August, then. I record any same-weight or lower weight the scale sees at its 2-ounce intervals.

Supplements have been slowly leaving my cabinet. Always take the garlic capsules, but I'll even leave alfalfa off when I can find it in sprouts. My B-12 was off the charts even though I was only taking a tiny dissolving tablet once a week, so went to every-other week. Probably getting it from a greater intake of organic root veggies that carry the microbes, even if scrubbed - dr had seen this before and predicted it, to her credit. It's not the time of year for D, although every once in a while I'll remember it and take one. Not much else. Algae for Omega-3 - that one's probably good, but I don't rush to replace it.

Here are my thoughts on those poster-quotes! :shock:

YOU control what your body looks like.
:( ignores individual health circumstances, I think - more condemning than encouraging. This was displayed over a photo of a gorgeous model!

Whatever the problem is, the answer is not in the fridge.
:? Hmmmm.... ... then fill your fridge with wisdom! Answers to a lot of worry for family futures can be kept ready in the fridge.

Today, just get up and go, because yesterday you said, "Tomorrow".
:D I like it! (I probably DID say "Tomorrow"!)

The fact that you aren't where you want to be should be motivation enough.
:? I'm not sure - this sounds harsh, but I guess it does remind us we can always find motivation.

Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not a punishment for what you ate.
:D I like it!

My heart says chocolate but my jeans say, for the love of God, woman - eat a salad.
:D Giggling too much not to like this one! (Hey, OR a sweet potato, lol.)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:18 am

So true, all the quotes! July was a total fail. Each night I said to myself, girl what did you do today. And then got up the next morning and did it all over again. :(

I think the stress of my ears derailed me. Still doing the drops twice a day. Amazing how such a little thing gets so annoying. I have to lay quietly on each side with opposite ear up to absorb the drop before I can move to other side. Then I put cotton in each to catch the ooze but I can hardly hear anything with the drops in there and the cotton too. I'll be so glad when this is done. Today though my ears were very very itchy and I noticed a bit yesterday too, and the itchiness had gone away...so I hope this is working.

This month besides weight I am working on strength and stamina. Back on my eliptical. Out of breath each time I get off. 5 minutes is all I can do.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 pm

another hot one 2 day counting groc. shoppng for my ex. feeling better.
weekend cool down to 99* :roll:
Smokey here bc of fires ack!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 pm

I need to check in on my weight. On 1 Aug I was down 2.9 lbs from my 1 July running average, on the other hand I was up 2.6 lbs from 1 Aug weight from 2016. So I'm heading in the right direction with this Way of Eating. Avoiding sugar and flour isn't so bad now that I've gotten used to it.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:33 am

Twins' I'm glad your weight is heading in the right direction. Also glad about the dog's well-being and less attachment problems so maybe going to walk will get easier.

Harmony, a start of itching and then ending - that seems like healing, I think. Wish I knew more. Your first paragraph about talking to yourself made me smile. I could have said that yesterday after scoffing down some of HRH's cheese pizza - why? He says I saved him from himself. :roll: I felt water retention in my fingers within an hour.

I had a perfect habit day of 24 checkmarks today - it's been a long time since this happened. All the good stuff in my stir-fry was the thing that put me over, I'm sure. I realized all I needed was one more fruit, so I had a small banana while watching a program this evening and I was done. Tonight my fingers feel so much better than last night.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Got my labs back had to look up on google to under stand it / a1c is up no surprise there,
cholestrol is perfect ta da and kidney test awesome. Focusing on the good news.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 am

I dropped into the merely "overweight" BMI category when I weighed this morning, assuming I am still five feet, five inches. :lol:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”