Health and Fitness, August 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2017

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Harriet: I love your take on those poster quotes.

Off to clean up the kitchen. There is a carrot that needs putting away. Maybe I'll just eat it.

July was awful for me too and August has started poorly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:29 am

I was able to walk half of my former route today a half mile. Ddog and I were both pleased to be able to get out and do that this morning while it was cooler. Still smokey but not quite as bad. I munched on some black berries today too. I did not make it to the farmers mkt. This weekend.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 am

Today shopping & errands was my exercise.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Does this sound right to ya'll?

Amount of protein needed

I've read to divide the protein up because the body is limited on how much it can absorb at a time. I don't know if that is true but it sounds logical.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:37 pm

LadyM, that's about right I believe. I was taught it averaged to 42 when you took all the entities out there that make determinations and got an average of their averages, lol. It went up slightly for the CDC in 2005.

97 percent of Americans meet the goal. The 3 percent who don't are those who, for some reason, are incapable of taking in enough calories, like Chrons sufferers, or bulimia sufferers, some alcoholics or other unusual situation. Vegans and vegetarians both exceed the goal by at least 70 percent per day and meat eaters exceed it by more.

I've never heard that about dividing protein up. Every item in the meal is going to have protein you'd have to count. Grains are high. Beans higher. Maybe a bowl of orchard fruits would have the least, but if you include some citrus fruits, like lemon juice, that has up to 17 percent protein, so math-wise, it's a tall order to estimate all this.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:41 pm

LadyM...

I only go by ozs not grams for protein, but have heard half your weight for grams. I eat 7 ozs of protein daily. Much easier for me to calculate. When I worked for the Diet Center we recommended 7ozs of proteins for women and 9 for men... but we weren't eating any white stuff... and no grains with the exception of wasa bread each day.

It worked for me... I lost 40lbs and kept the weight off for years. It also allowed me a bit of fruit each day as well. I am eating that way again and it seems to work. I am also not eating potatoes either and same goes for carrots which has natural sugar. Onions also have sugar in them as do tomatos which by definition are a fruit. I am careful with them.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm

RunKitty, helia, and Ramblin', I had a visit with hormone dr today. She is a marathon runner and extreme athlete. She's headed for an 80-mile 3-day run(run-hike?) race soon, where the course has a 13,500 foot grade gain (ugh). She is required to carry a headlamp in case she can't make camp before dark one of the nights. Not my cup of tea, but I will be rooting for her. She really enjoys it. Although she will be carb-loading somewhat as usual, she will change it up for this race considering the series of long days far from amenities. She says you really start considering fiber intake, porta-potties and the wild woods when you face an event like this one. (smile - never thought of that)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:08 am

Harriet... marathon and extreme runners are known to pee as they running. And as an avid hiker port-t-potties are seldom available. As a child I spent much time in open fields and treehouse where it was inconvient to go home. I learned to pee in the wild at a very early age.

And at the Spartan races there are a port-a-potty or two longnthe way. Problem is sometimes when you're involved with these types of events your body functions can react in ways you don't expect. Adrenaline reacts differently for each person.

When I do multiple over night hikes I know for sure that I will be carryingbio-degradable toilet paper.

And interesting fact cause y'all know I'm a history major... many pioneer women who joined wagon trains that crossed our country, though very modest offen did not wear what we call underpants. The reason was while crossing the prairies there wasn't any trees or such to hide behind for privacy. However they could squat down and use their full skirt to provide privacy when needed.

Extreme runners usually exist on protein bars and water stations if they are running a organized race and carry as little as possible on their body. And they tend to get little sleep

The fastest record for hiking the 2,189 mile applachaian trail is around 42 days. These ultra extreme hikers have a support group that keeps them supplied with food along the trail. They also provide the runners with new shoes. The runners tend to eat once every 30 minutes with trail mix that equal 100 calories. Most hikers take 3 months to make the hike. Ultra hikers usually carry a very small backpack with a tarp for shelter and some never cook during this time.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Ramblin, I read about a woman who lived in her van and she also wore a long skirt for the same reason. She had a dog so would take it out for a 'walk' and squat down to talk the dog so know one would suspect what she was doing.

The protein is about right although the chart doesn't go up to my weight. Sigh... But at 1200 calories MFP says I should have about 80g and that goes up as I'm active through the day. Remember, I'm shooting for more protein and fewer carbs.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Today - Thurs. pulling weeds and shopping is my exercise.

Return to “Healthy Habits”