Health and Fitness, September 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September 2017

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm

The world is not necessarily going to rush to support you. You will definitely face temptation along the way. Those Golden Arches will gleam and beckon you inside for just one helping of burger, fries, and a shake. Those poker friends will urge you to "just live a little". Those doughnuts will still arrive on the conference table at work. And that chocolate cream pie will still be placed in front of you at a dinner party. "I made this just for you. One bite won't kill you!" Your emotions will vie to control your food intake. Bad days will beg you to dive headfirst into a pint of Häagen-Dazs.

In the end, though, this is about you, and only you can make it happen. Please don't be discouraged by this notion. You ought to feel quite the opposite: Your health and well-being, including your attitude, are all under your influence. You're in charge of your brain. You're in charge of the way you think about things, the way you react to things, and the way you talk to yourself and others about things.

from a talk by Franklin House, M.D. with Stuart Seale, M.D., called, Nature vs. Nurture in the Development of Disease

We're headed into the new month of September. Has the world been rushing to support your healthy habits this past summer? :) Some of us have encountered great support - I'm thinking especially of Dee encountering exercise folks who are monitoring her and encouraging, or saying, "sit down" when needed.

Can you think of those who support your health choices when you need it, or when the rest of the world is not on your side?
Can you think of people/incidents, however well-meaning, that trip you up?

Maybe more important, how are YOU are being a good example or supporting somebody else, helping to avoid the pitfalls WITH them? Are you talking to others and reacting to things as a good example?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2017

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 am

I was logging in the front yard for exercise today.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 pm

I didn't take Fitbit on this trip, I wasn't sure I would have places and time to recharge it when needed, and didn't want pressure of trying to keep steps up. OTOH, dh had his wristband Fitbit and several days was at or over 10K steps. Since we were together most of the time I know I had a few great days, stepwise. I did get pretty exhausted with walking at times, tho.

Best news is that my weight is only up .4 lb this morning. I don't think I generally overate, we did have a few big meals but some days only ate twice with a snack along the way.

I'm getting back on my WOE - way of eating - with slower carbs, protein and fat. I need to work on getting my daily step count up.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm grateful for the support from my family. They start to remember more often that my healthy habits will require more attention to what we're doing - just any old fast food or even picnic-like meal plan won't work for me or HRH, and will concern me for the rest of family. I'm hopeful about the symposium in early Oct, where there will be a lot to learn - that feels supportive. Grateful that I was even included in the fringes ( smile ) of those told about it because of the course I took. Family is very supportive of my going and HRH is even thinking of traveling with me and getting a hotel room - takes the cost of the idea way up but it's nice that he wants to make it work out for me.

Not supportive - the same ones as for everybody I guess. Sometimes I try to think which food/restaurant company's commercials are the most intent on hurting people to make a buck! Not that "they" probably think that way, but that "they" are not thinking at all. A hometown restaurant near us with an extensive "sides" menu of vegetables, fruits and healthy starches had to close (not because of fewer customers, but building changes) and that felt like some support fell away. There is another, but farther.

August was good to me, feeling well. Weight loss continues. Just a half-pound in August. More in line with all the other months than July, which was an outlier at a whole pound. Many months have just been a few ounces.
Have not gained in a year and a half.

Some medical stuff accomplished in August. Some in the form of agreeing to disagree, lol, but I made the visits. Weaker prescription glasses still working fine for me so I'm grateful my eyesight is better.

Healing, I hope, took place for hip and leg. I think a change to more shoe types that don't put pressure across top of foot might have helped. I remember my ddad talking about that as a reason for him to change, even socks that seemed too restrictive on the foot. Still not perfect, and long shopping in stores is just o-u-t.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 pm

I worked on more on the branches in the front yard for my exercise today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 pm

I was a scientist :ugeek: in my own restroom for a few minutes today and have completed my assignment of preparing the Colo guard package to which I agreed with dr. Out to the UPS place and free shipping to me (insurance) and $2 to fax form accompanying it and hey, I'm done! :idea:

Chased those 24 chipmunks again, Nancy, and had a perfect score on that (checkmarks) for Sunday.

Although I really like the idea of having a separate thread for our walks/bikes/treks chat during these better-weather months, isn't it amazing how hurricanes and smoke-filled air still threaten? No matter the situation, it seems we really have to pick our times... ... Awww... ... forecast shows pouring rain here for the next 2 days.

LOL, Kathryn! I did not mean you had to "weigh" in!!! Truly wanted your opinion! I was interested in you for your mind!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:39 pm

For exercise opportunities today I picked some plums & have done some branch clean up in the front yard and I got in at least 20 min. On the stationary bike.

Wtg Harriet on chimpmonk chasing!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Harriet, yeah I did that packet thing also. Older insurance wouldn't cover colonoscopy unless this other test showed a problem. So I did the other and it turned out ok. Kind of a pain to do it but all of health care seems to be a pain in the ... to me.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Did 15 on ex. Bike yesterday today did 30 min. Tomorrow I will be trying the gazelle.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm

The summer was a bust for me. Gained weight but more importantly, lost fitness level.

Tonight, I walked over 1000 steps in a row for the first time since August 20.

The lack of a fitness tracker really took its toll.

My pedometer arrived this afternoon. Thankfully it was delivered by the lousy A-river delivery guys so it was left outside our door. So I got it. Good thing it didn't come when expected, tomorrow afternoon, since we'd be on our trip by then and the box would be sitting there for 4 days. This now means I can't count on A-river delivery any more (these people are notoriously bad, people finding their new phones or computers on the driveway by the garage or other prominent places.)

In tonight's test gave me 5% more steps than the phone. I can live with 5% extra! Haven't tested how it is for tracking steps around the house, that could be the extra steps if it counts sooner than the phone does. I think I read somewhere it has a 4 second delay so if I move for under 4 seconds it doesn't count those steps. The fitbit had a 10 step delay, the Pulse a 20 step delay. Not sure what the phone's delay is, if any.

It is quite small and has a belt clip or a lanyard clip. Or I can just put it in a pocket or my purse. Tomorrow I'll try putting it in my bra, without the lanyard or the belt clip it should fit, just not as well as the fitbit (it is about 2.5x as big but still awfully small and very thin so not bulky in a pocket (or bra.)

The pedometer is straight forward to use and holds 30 days of data so I'll have to enter things into a spreadsheet but I don't have to enter it every day. Not sure how I'll manage time zones but that's an ongoing issue with all trackers. I have a 12 hour time shift in January along with a 30 hour travel day so the first few days of January will be low step counts. It also tracks calories burned, distance, time and speed. I'll have to read the manual to figure out how it calculates speed. Distance comes from my stride which we remeasured before entering into the device. For long walks, I'll use an app which will be more accurate since it uses the GPS on my phone.

In 9 days I get dh's old phone and it has a great health app (about as good as what Rosie uses) so that will help fill in any holes this pedometer leaves.

Return to “Healthy Habits”