Trek Season, 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Trek Season, 2017

Postby Lynlee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:39 pm

skin of bat remnants on twin electricity wires.
It used to be the caught up fruit bat, but now there is less of bat and more of wing.
Little Mary Sunshine

trying the shorter walk around house each morning. pull a few weeds.
on lilypilly
2 birds on branches a foot apart. different species.
Perhaps - a dove with speckled breast - a peaceful dove?
below was a species new to me. black head, red eye and surrounds, white lower belly.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Morning walk today.

It can't be an anonymous location, too famous.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:20 pm

More than 4 miles walking at a boat festival today.
boat festival2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 pm

what beautiful views! calendar worthy.

Lynlee, you saw a new bird - cool. Sorry, Mr. Bat.

Last walk for several days I'm sure ... rain, rain coming.

Discovered (and marked) a spot where I might come back and find these ferns growing around - quite a few. Great for adding to pressed flower bookmarks if I get back into those.

Ya'll did get my joke from the other day, right? There's not really a vine like that.

fern.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Harriet - I did see the nailedboardladder upatreetolookout acknowledged by (per DF) as neverputanailinatree incasetimbermillers trytosawit. I'll have you know I looked hard for a climbing vine in addition. It makes sense, or not.
also to Harriet. aka fishtail ferns here. a now forbidden invasive species to sell here as they do too well. My undear in this case parents brought them here to plant and they are one of the things I am attempting to strike back against, seen on every morning walk around my house.

Plantings in old wheelbarrows, beside a driveway seen in yesterday's walk.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 am

Most of the bat is down on the footpath, bones and skin. 1 wing remains on a wire.
Walked 3k.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 am

Ooooookay! :shock: Making those into some bookmarks one day, I think, then, without concern. Good to know that none of the folks around would miss having it as part of their world in future.

Looking out the window today only able to think of the nice spots to walk. So stormy. Neighbors have ducks - maybe they are happy.

HRH doesn't like these "vines" because of what it they look out upon - waiting on a deer. If he had his way, all hunting around here would be with camera. Pretty sure this is not a viable alternative, however.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 pm

I was able to walk w ddog last night after dinner munched on some black berries it is the end of the season. It 2as so nice out I really aporeciated being outside and enjoying nature seeing the hills and getting to enjoy the clean air. Yea! Time to pick plums.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm

About a mile on our property today.
Monday.jpg

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 am

We took the bus downtown yesterday so walked from home to the bus station, bus station to dinner, then to the Arts Centre. This was the turnaround point of my walk.

IMG_20170914_194637.jpg

I also spent time walking around during intermission. Our National Arts Centre just had a major renovation/addition and so I'm still exploring it and learning new pathways (and new washrooms!) We were, obviously, sitting on the main floor this concert, but from the Mezzanine (the first level balcony and boxes) there is a new way of exiting onto the main road (the Centre is built on a hill with the main entrance at the back in front of our canal.) And they added a wheelchair ramp to make the concert hall more accessible.

After the concert, everyone else in the hall was ahead of us as they walked toward the lobby and exits and it was slow going (the hall seats 2000.) As soon as I got to the ramp, I had dh follow me and that popped us out at the foot of the stairs to the Mezzanine, up those and we were onto the main road in a minute. It was much faster. The Arts Centre is half way between two bus stops so if we are in the theatre, it is quicker to exit towards the East bus stop, and if we are in the concert hall, we can go to the west bus stop. Same number of steps and both walks are equally pretty.

Cost wise, it is almost 3x as much to bus as to drive and park a few blocks away. Time wise it takes 2x as much time to get there but is faster to get home since we don't have to wait for the parking lot to empty. But stress wise, it is better to bus plus I get a walk in so we have been doing that since we moved here.

Many times we choose to bus, at greater cost and time, than to drive but it is part of the project of getting more steps into our lives. It is simply a mindset to slow down and not cram as much into each day as possible. In return, we can build a bit of fitness time into our days.

Return to “Healthy Habits”