Health and Fitness, October 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2017

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 pm

I walked a medium long walk today w ddog in two diff segments. Found my pedometer battery is working so may use it tomorrow.

I have stairs to do sweeping them, and taking crafts up and down. I try to use em time early in the day, and then again later like when finishing up laundry.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 am

Harriet.... I just loaded Headspace on my phone before reading your dr recommendation. Have yet to listen to it. Maybe tomorrow :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:56 am

Harriet - I was hoping you would share some of the highlights of your training. I read them with great interest. Thank you!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks for the post, Harriet. Tell us more.... :D

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm

I walked around w stores for part of my exercises today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 pm

After reading this I loaded Headspace and did day 1. Let's see if I can keep this up. Right away I ran into a problem finding a time to have it remind me. Tomorrow morning I'm at the hospital for my test for meditation isn't suitable then even though it is a stress test!

I set it for 3.

I've moved almost not at all today. I'm actually surprised but my new pedometer is reluctant to give me steps when they are for cleaning purposes. Dh wanted a walk when he got home so I sat here on my computer with my coat and purse on. Then he walked by in a robe so I asked and he said he gave up on the walk idea.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Today's exercise 30 mi . On stat bike. Going up and down the stairs decluttering in the basement.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Survived the stress test but they had to modify it because they couldn't get an IV line into me.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Sorry part of that was frustrating, Kathryn.

Glad ya'll appreciated hearing that brain dump! Ddil wants to find out more about CHIP in case it is brought in to her hospital as well.

Blood work for HRH came back to kidney dr and that appt was one of his errands while I waited in waiting room. (I don't go in to his appts, but if I had been there I'd have done a happy dance.) His protein-creatinine ratio has reached the magic .20 number the doctor was looking for - a 20 percent further improvement in 6 months, so he has moved himself into the normal range. Ain't normalcy wondrous! :D Other numbers better, too.

Dr. extended his time between appts (so HRH was loving this - this is his big dream: avoiding doctors). Dr said he'd considered going to every 12 months but changed his mind to 9 months this time, then 18 months! He tells HRH "keep doing what you're doing" and even if things only stay the same without change, he will release him then - yay. But pointed out it looks like numbers are still on a consistent path toward mid-ranges. He just doesn't want to do that yet, because releasing a patient for whom a future dialysis plan had been sketched out (plus privately getting ready to have the transplant talk) is hard to justify.

He does still have blood in the urine - it's consistently better at each appt, but not improving to the point the doctor thinks it will go away anytime soon. Dr. believes this is because of the kidney stone damage over the years - all that time with nobody telling us the gall-bladder doctor's diet to avoid gall stones should have been continued after 2006 removal, for prevention of his already-recurrent kidney stones, too. We had no idea of the correlation. Sigh - just think of how many trips to ER in so much pain from 2006 to 2014. No one putting 2 and 2 together for us, even though I can find it throughout the medical literature, then and long before. Dr is still not sure if the pain he sometimes has in kidney area is from same, but possible. Perhaps a kind of scar tissue just from the sheer damage stones can do.

And even now, when I do find myself with respect for this dr, I wince wondering why HRH had to be the one to tell HIM about changing diet, to which he then concurred - why didn't he bring it up. Why wasn't there so much as a brochure on hand to help HRH, but basically just him saying, gee, good luck. At least (old at the time, and crotchety) gall bladder dr in '06 did give out his own "dos and don'ts foods" sheet he'd written up himself after decades of observing patients. (maybe he was a genius - too bad he only suggested it regarding his specialty)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Signed up for medical records since I can.

My blood work from last week is already up and it isn't good.

Overall Cholesterol is too high. We measure differently in Canada so top end of the range is 5.2 and I'm at 6. On the other hand, my HDL is 1.71 (they want over 1.3) and my non-HDL is 4.3, (they want under 4.5) therefore I'm thinking my high good cholesterol is pushing me into the too high category.

More importantly, though, is two tests indicate kidney issues. Given I drink enough water, eat reasonably healthy and don't smoke, I'm guessing the high protein diet is causing too much strain on my kidneys, along with the 200 - 400 mg of ibuprofen per day because of my aches. I've avoided acetaminophen due to its effect on liver but was aware that ibuprofen is hard on kidneys. That means I need to talk with the doctor about what to do for pain relief from the joints.

Finally, one particular white blood cell is out of range, on the high side, 20% higher. Ironically, it is a marker for inflammation and asthma.

We'll wait for the breathing test next Friday and then I'll book my follow up appointment with the GP. The breathing test will eliminate asthma as the cause of the last anomaly on my report.

In the meantime, I'll start working on the weight once more since being overweight can be a factor with all my bad numbers.

Return to “Healthy Habits”