Health and Fitness, November 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2017

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 am

They are not nutritional powerhouses, but sometimes I just enjoy a milk - in a recipe like my smoothies or some baked recipe like a cake of cornbread. HRH likes it in cereals. And the nut milks answer that need for a milk consistency in recipes, with nothing in them that's going to hurt us. I've been using nut milks since the 80s before it was in the stores and we used to make our own, when my older kids were young. We've always liked it. I used the Fit for Life recipe for Almond Milk then, but we drank cow milk, too (I wonder now if some of dd19's "colic" was due to cow milk products). Yogurts were a favorite for me until acid reflux let me know what a bad idea that was for me, lol. Harmony had to listen to me complain about that.

Nowadays I mostly stay away from cow milk. I'm sure we get some in products of already made foods, and that's fine. But I don't want much of it - the hormones are the big negatives, but also the antibiotics, the high load of toxins. There is protein but I get plenty already from foods that have a lot more nutrition to offer. I don't know of any nutrition cow milk products offer me. There was never any protection from it against brittle bones - the more cow milk consumption a country has, the higher the rate of bone fractures. There was never any truth to that business of losing weight with it - the FTC made the Dairy Council stop that ad campaign.

I wonder if some parents have gotten nut milks confused with soy milk. The USDA does count soy milk as a "dairy" serving, which is the circle off to the side of My Plate now. The nut milks on our shelves here say "not for use as an infant formula" on the carton, so I guess if they have to say it, it must have come up as a problem. The connection between soy and breast cancer is not as certain as it used to be - in the countries where women eat so much soy there's very little cancer. My dstepdil's mother avoids it for the same reason, though - she's had a lumpectomy in the past and doesn't want to rock any boats.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the answer, Harriet.

I'm convinced dh is addicted to milk. As soon as we have only four litres left in the fridge he starts agitating for us to walk over and buy more. When we lived in the country, that was reasonable since we go through over a quart a day and I wouldn't take the car out for just milk so it had to be top of mind so I'd remember when the car was out. But now there is milk available within a 10 minute walk 24/7.

I have 2 glasses a day plus what's in my tea. I get the other 2 servings of calcium from my multivitamin in the morning and a calcium/magnesium at bedtime (to help sleep.) Dh has both those pills plus 3 - 4 glasses of milk a day.

If I ran out of milk, I'd be annoyed but not anxious.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Just finished up my Wednesday exercise, the total workout again for this day of week. It wouldn't be a bad idea if that became a constant following this November challenge. A "When it's Wednesday", as Kathryn named the PWYC thread today. :) (have no idea I'd be able to be that consistent, but then, I do get the trash out every Wed somehow, lol!)

I must admit falling/stepping into that hole did a number on my shin. There is still a bruise! But if I had to name the threat to my November challenge to myself that was the worst, it was having so much responsibility and change around the holiday. I became overwhelmed. For instance, I didn't get in my normal water for a couple days. That affects everything. One afternoon I found my morning pint of water still sitting on a table out of the way, left behind when some early morning interruption happened, I guess. Glad to be back on track.

Anyone else having a good November?

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Great November. Thanks so much for posting the challenge, Harriet. I've managed 29 days straight of getting out first thing in the morning for a two to three mile run/walk. It's a habit again and I am so pleased.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 pm

My push up aim has morphed into window sill push ups x 5-10 - when I roll out of bed in the morning, most days.
Rainy day showers are a discentive to walking so that is not habitual on those days.
oh for dog who would not take its raining as an excuse most of his life.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

I rode the exercise bike this morning.

Return to “Healthy Habits”