Health and Fitness, November 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2017

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am

I'm going to tell HRH you are wearing a reflective vest, Nancy. It's a pet peeve and worry with him that so many people go out walking in dark clothing and don't have a clue how invisible they are. We saw a lady wearing a big white jacket in the dark the other evening and he said he felt like stopping to tell her how smart she was, but figured she'd think he was a nut!

ellyphant, that's cool that you enjoyed some neighbor contact and are keeping up the relationship. We never know when one person may need another - we lose so much human contact these days.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:09 am

I have had people stop and tell me that! It was a Christmas gift a couple of years ago from hubby one of my all time favorite gifts!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:06 pm

I got a reflective vest from IKEA that is small enough to fit in the outer pocket of my purse. That way, if I'm out and it gets dark, I have it to wear. At this time of the year it is so dark and no snow to reflect street and moonlight so it is really important.

I downloaded and tried Insight Timer last night in the middle of the night. Was looking for a sleep relaxation one and found one. Not as good as the previous one in some ways, but definitely very useful. Thanks, Harriet!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Cool, Kathryn.

How is everyone doing with various challenges to ourselves?

Just finished this week of challenging and get to write on my calendar!

150 minutes of 3 full workouts:
Monday was Senior, since I'd done its instructional Friday
Wednesday was Total, longer than the others
Friday (today) was Torso, shorter but more advanced
.....and then added Core 2, which is for children, 12 minutes

I've never really paid attention to this children's video before - just owned it in my stack because it came as a bonus, I think. But was thinking maybe ToddlerC and I could do it when she's here and call it school exercises (it's children seated in school). We can try it, but it's for older kids. I don't know if she's old enough to be inspired by school-age children, or old enough to bear being seated so long!

Didn't do any floor work this week, so maybe time for some of that next week.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:41 pm

I would probably fall asleep if I tried to meditate! And the phone rings all the time...

LadyM do you know exactly what's wrong with your foot?

I haven't done as good as I hoped, but I'm doing better than normal. Funny, the first couple days I had nagging headache and upset tummy. Then as that eased up my tummy problems started and I was a few days of that. Then it started over a few days after that. So all of my diet has been off.

But it is progress and I am happy. No ice cream. No cake. A couple cookies, that's all. No candy. Much better. You'd think the scale would reflect this... NO! Why the heck not? Who knows.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:42 am

Today I raIed leaves in the front yard most of them, and walked some with the dog after the boys left.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Progressing here too. Eleven days straight of getting out first thing in the morning for 1.5 to 2 miles. It's been slow progress, but I'm loving having the habit of morning exercise again. :D

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm

LadyM do you know exactly what's wrong with your foot?

Sorta. :)
Ganglion Cyst on top of left foot, but it isn't painful.
The pain is in both feet. Last week the chiropractor scanned the bottom of my feet and mentioned several things with the major one being fallen arches. She worked on my feet doing adjustments but I couldn't tell any difference in how they felt. She has recommended that I get custom orthotics for my shoes. The office person said my insurance will cover 85% of the foot insert cost (approx $200) but I haven't met the deductible yet. I'm unsure what to do. If I spend the $200 and the orthotics don't work then it was just a waste of time & money. When I did the Dr Scholl foot scan at WM pharmacy it also showed fallen arches. I did get a pair of OTC orthotics inserts ($50) and will be testing those out while I decide on the custom inserts.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 pm

DS9 and the Chiropractor Doc have "clicked". I couldn't be more pleased. I'm in the exam/treatment room while DS9 & the doc talks, but I am staying mostly quiet and just being a supportive presence. The doc & DGS9 are talking food choices and he is not only willing but eager to try what she is telling him. They have briefly discussed many aspects of food choices (vegetables, fake sugar, caffeine, drink selection, etc). At today's appointment, the Doc gave DS9 an assignment. Don't try to do everything at once. For now, just focus on staying away from food dye. He is to check all food and drinks ingredients to discover which ones have food dyes. She gave him a suggestion of snack to try (fruit leather) and told him a brand that doesn't have extra ingredients.

DS9 is passionate about this. My trash can is filling up as he is reading ingredients of things in our pantry and discovering food we have on hand that contains dye. We are becoming a dye free zone.

When I told the chiro Doc about our pediatrian saying DS9 was in puberty, she suggested that we seek meat that has no hormones. She said the hormones are passed from the animal to the human and she suspects it is a factor in premature puberty.

Of course, I have heard dye and hormones are bad for us (plus many other things). But actually going through the effort of changing lifestyle, habits and staying away from them has always seemed overwhelming. Not sure where this will lead us, but we are committed to removing as much dye from our food as possible.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 pm

I got a walk in w the dog. I raked leaves in back yd. this morning when I went out to plant a rose, and swept up leaves, this afternoon raked up the front yd.

Return to “Healthy Habits”