Health and Fitness, December 2017

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, December 2017

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm

December! Oh, the diversions! We're ready to stay on track, though.

Tasty "treats" we resist will lie in wait for us this month. We can dodge them!

We'll think of lots of extra things we'd like to do, and we will have the strength to get 'er done. (quoted from lucylee a while back) We will take care of ourselves with enough rest, pace ourselves confidently, and wink at ourselves in the mirror. ;)

Loved ones are charging new phones with better digital photo capability (and stealth) :| Not to worry. Our posture is excellent. Our self-images are stellar. Our smiles are serene.

The November thread was 6 pages long with inspirational habit thoughts - thanks, everyone.

Did you contemplate habits you intend to keep, going forward?

End of year makes me remember this quote I've shared before, from a book my great-uncle liked and gave to my father. I think of you guys when I see it.

Perseverance is the quality
found in people of an enthusiastic temperament,
who, once they have discerned
the favorable possibilities of an enterprise,
allow nothing to divert them.
- H. Bessler, "Mental Efficiency", 1915

Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2017

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks Harriet. I actually kept my goal last month most of the time. I just didn't post about it a lot.

This month big big goals. Same ones from last month and added a couple. Tweaking my diet. Back on a couple supplements.

What I've learned: we can't be the food police for someone else, it just makes us miserable. And it makes us feel like the "bad guy" all the time. Well, at least if the others are adults. Kids, they need guidance. Adults, once they know, if they do the wrong things, too bad so sad for them. I don't want to be the one saying "no you can't eat that" because then they're mad at us. Everybody needs to take responsibility for themselves.

I do have to remind DH to take his nighttime med. Annoying. I don't think he once asked me if I remembered mine.

Big learning curve around here. I hope this gets easier. For one thing, I'm tired of worrying about my lab values, and I'm tired of losing the same 10 pounds over and over and over. A month is supposed to set a new habit. How come that never worked for me? Go to a holiday meal and go right back to old habits thereafter. After months of doing right.

Just thinking here. Good luck everybody!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm

((Harmony)) I think my situation with a dh is unusual because he came to the conclusions he needed while I was still not eating the way he did. Now when I nag, even though it's from a "I'm doing it, so you do it too" (wifely?? caregiver-y??) standpoint, he was actually there before me, and doesn't think of it as coming from me specifically. So, I'm lucky. Of course, it's not like I believe there's ever been a moment of him thinking to himself, gee my situation caused HER any trouble. LOL! It's like, "well, of COURSE we're in this together". But that's actually fine with me. I've learned a lot and we both feel better. I hope that Mr. Harmony is okay with you telling us about his recent stuff going on. I'm sending him a "feel better soon".

No change on the scale for me in November, which is fine.

I was happy with my better commitment to exercise.

I still think November is a great month for getting into a habit, because of the upcoming time of seeing so many people, etc. But I will say December is a trying time to keep habits up! I got to the end of this hectic weekend and can't even remember half of what went on! Oh well, shake it off! This is one reason I really appreciate my record-keeping, no matter how simple. If it's a card, it pops up again. Even with what's on the computer, I can see that I haven't recorded in a while, and I'll get back to it.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

I am counting doing my weekly routine home blessing and 30 mn. On the stationary bike for exercise.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Interesting stuff in the mail today. :D

The trouble with DH is that we were already doing many of the right things. Nice big tossed salad every day. Apple a day. Always veggies with our meat. So we're looking at the other things, like to eat beef or not? And ditch the chicken skin and don't go for the dark meat first. He's annoyed that he isn't supposed to have a treat every night, like a piece of pie. Ok, can we agree nuts are healthy unless its pecan pie? :roll: And often he'll want a piece of bread and butter. Just trying to do our best here.

He is actually on board as long as he can have "something". I'm trying to fill him up with healthy stuff. He ate an entire honeydew in the past 5 days. And I made pudding with skim milk that is certainly better than ice cream. He's got some turkey in his subs instead of salami. Not liking it, but he's doing it.

He knew right away that he'd have to change but hasn't got a handle on what he should be doing. Was thrilled when I told him he could have salsa. Really? That's a tomato. So a big learning curve. It's just the little things that he's non-compliant with.

I'm actually doing the same thing to get my numbers a bit better. But I'm not grumbling about it while I'm doing it. I don't know what he'd do if he was told to be a vegetarian. I honestly don't think he could do it.

And no, he isn't particularly reticent about telling people he knows what happened to him. He's grateful for each and any prayer. We're anxiously awaiting the report of today's MRI. Can't get in to see Dr. for 6 weeks unless when she sees the report there's something urgent to talk about.

On my end, I had a call that my sodium is yet again lower. Lower than ever this time. Limit my water. Can't be good for me except for the sodium, but nothing else to do about it. Disappointed in that.

I'm down about 5 lbs in a couple months. Need more to go.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

My Keep it simple daily food plan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 am

Yesterday ex bike was my exercise.
Getting back on it today is the plan. X plus snow removal.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am

You're always an inspiration to me with many of your 'methods', LadyM. I've copied your simple daily food plan. Think I've given up too often because I've made it too complex. With this I can tell at a glance what I've put in my body on any day. I'm giving myself stars (at the moment) for every hour I can manage to go without a snack. I'm sure that's been my big downfall. For instance I've told myself "no cookies" -hard time of year for that especially when there's probably several hundred staring at me. (Many will go to cookie platters tonight -so that will eliminate some.) But as of yesterday I'm allowing myself 2 (TWO) cookies with a meal -probably dinner. That was enough to satisfy me without going back for 2nds or 3rds.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 am

I did 30 on stat bike and walked the dog for exercise 2day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Ex. On stat bike done. Got on the scales wt. Is the same grateful it is not up!

Return to “Healthy Habits”