Health and Fitness, February, 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2009

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:40 pm

My new goal for the next 12 weeks is simply to exercise at least 20 minutes every day. In a way, that is not a bigger commitment than I made for my birthday-to-birthday year of consistent exercise. It's just that I did longer workouts then, every other day. 20 minutes daily seems user-friendly. - me on Jan 1

I had an injury in late autumn that meant some time away from exercising. The emphasis since then has been to get my stamina back to that birthday-to-birthday year level (50th to 51st). Because I really think it's coming back now, I'm going to switch back early to 3 times per week. I am so impressed by daily exercise and it's "the one that brung me" through January ;) but I know if I want to continue building stamina I need to increase exercise time per workout and so must increase rest time in between workouts as well. I'll stick with 140 minutes of exercise per week just as I committed Jan 1. I did it when I was 45, I did it when I was 50, and I intend to do it now - shoot, I'm just a kid. :P

Today I had a 55-minute workout while a second load of laundry washed. I took two (planned) breaks - one for flip-flop and one for fold. :) I sat down to fold! (okay, maybe that part wasn't planned!) :D The pause button is my friend. The inventor of the pause button is a technological genius.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Jan. 5 -- 160
Feb. 2 -- 159.5
Feb. 9 -- 157

Still trying to commit to 15 minutes every day... still a long way off meeting that goal, but better than I was 2 months ago!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

In which I am so talkative! Oh, well.

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 am

That was a good string of numbers there, lucylee, good trend. I'm convinced that the fact you've monitored so well through this time in your life is what is keeping meds and hormones from messing with you too much and sending you into the 160s. (Although you are younger than me, I know.) Hormones are subtle but 24-7. I recognize my fight with them and it is wearisome.

Dee, I never thought of a gallon of water and 4 pounds in the same brain-sentence! That in itself gives us a clue why we feel so much worse after meals that cause us to retain water - it's a quick gain of all or part of that gallon. Yeouch. I can gain 2 pounds easy on an oriental restaurant meal, or some Italian restaurant meals. Is DD still enjoying WW?

sherinjoy, hope you are feeling better and better.

I have spent some time this a.m. documenting how many calories are in some of my favorite just-me-for-lunch meals and getting that down for reference.
Tossed salad, 1/4 avocado with 2 tbls shredded ch. cheese, "dressing" of adding deli slaw - 265
Shredded squash and carrot (with mayo) and sliced cucumber on whole grain tortilla - 200
Egg Salad half-sandwich on whole grain bread w/lettuce and SlimFast - 355

It's a good exercise. It showed me, for instance, that I need to think of my tortilla sandwich as a snack. Unless I add milk, it won't be enough to keep me satisfied after lunch so I shouldn't be surprised if I get hungry. Yet, that tortilla itself is twice the calories of the bread in my half-sandwich meal. Interesting.

I can fill in the parts of a meal on the SlimFast site and have it print out for me the fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, fiber, sugars, proteins, Iron, calcium and vitamin C. Other sites probably do it better, someday I'll check that out.

That site, btw, is in upset now. Jan 1 they revamped their whole site, which included a forum, a "buddy system", people's weight charts and charts of their exercise. They simply DELETED. I kid you not. Is that sad? No notice. When we think of how important online friends can be... ... ouch. It was not a problem for me since I never posted or "buddied", but I had played around with a weight and exercise chart there and would have liked to have known to glean it for the info. Other people lost their buddies and can't find them, are angry over their charts being gone along with diary info (you could type in impressions of your workouts, how you felt, etc.). SF's idea is that everyone should be happy to just start over because ... ... um... ... the site is prettier? :| No wonder people are upset.

Wanting to check out the individual cards in the link Smile Lee posted but must wait for some family member who has flash - I don't right now.

Today was floor exercise day, of which I do about 3/4 and stare at the screen 1/4 in amazement. :D ("she said do WHAT?") Next time I may take a pillow and blanket to the mat for a siesta, because I could sure use one and I don't get up so quick!
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 am

Jan. 5 -- 160
Feb. 2 -- 159.5
Feb. 9 -- 157
Feb. 16 -- 157 * sigh *
-- I had several days below 157 before Valentine's Day candy arrived. :roll: Oh well... I guess I should be glad it's no worse after the weekend. Exercise has been fairly consistent -- 5 out of 7 days, which is really my goal. If I can get 5 days a week, I feel like I'm doing good!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 am

"-- I had several days below 157 before Valentine's Day candy arrived."

Hmmm... ... then that could be a new normal as soon as the extra carbs are out of your system. I always consider the new low numbers hit as reality or trend, any higher ones later off-and-on as fluctuations! This past weekend was also a stumbling block for me, with both dd and dh wanting to "treat" me to exactly the things I didn't need. Candy was good/bad enough but dh insisted on ordering pizza to "help" me, too, so I wouldn't have to cook. There is SERIOUSLY no help in pizza. I mean SERIOUSLY. :arrow: :|

Friday was a good exercise day, too. Today I hope will be the same.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:34 pm

This past week, exercise was really good, making 2 weeks in a row. Eating was not the best, although I have given up my daily small Pepsi. I do have something carbonated every once in a while, but often go a day or two with none, so that's progress. While houseguests were here, as usual, we had some take-out and other less-healthy meals, too much sodium.

bittersweet mentioned in PWYC that she has started on an adrenal support supplement. It will be interesting to hear how she continues to feel about it. Have you come to any conclusions about any changes in supplements, sherinjoy?

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Harriet - thanks for asking abut supplements. My answer - I don't know if they have made any difference - can't really tell, because my Dr. is simulanteously tweaking my hormone intake, so my body is feeling different anyway. She says it takes about a month or so to work this all out, so maybe I'll have a better answer then.

Someone mentioned that healthy living takes a commitment and organization, here is a quote from Cheryl Richardson, life coach:" I had the pleasure of coaching the women involved in the Good Morning America Fit Club who are trying to lose weight. What started out as "how do we get back on track when we fall off the fitness path" conversation, turned into an important discussion about the real lifestyle changes we need to consider when we want to lose weight, get fit, and create long-lasting, sustainable health." I agree that geting healthy, as seen on Biggest Loser, is a lifetime commitment to changing how you live and not just your diet.

Return to “Healthy Habits”