Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 pm

LadyM..thanks for being so honest. I used to have the same problem in the past. And boy was I good at it.

For a while I went to Overeaters anonymous which helped but I got tired of hearing sad stories without any real solutions. and then I stumbled upon this book:
http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/I ... 0743548854
Overcome Hidden Food Addictions, Take Charge of Your Body, Your Emotions, Your Life

Here's hope and help for food addicts. Developed by Janet Greeson, a nationally renowned pioneer in the development of addiction treatment programs, this day-by-day self-help program treats the physical, emotional and spiritual causes of food addiction.

Recognize why you overeat - get in touch with your past and handle the feelings that trigger your eating problems
Use psychological techniques to banish depression and build self-esteem
Discover defense mechanisms that prevent you from confronting your problems
Break the dieting and binge-purge cycles - and eat normally at last!

Providing significant information on food, nutrition, exercise, and stress management, It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You is an essential audio program for anyone who wants to choose a new life - free of food addiction and depression.

It is a guide that helps you discover why you binge and is based on finding your emotional causes for your food addictions. for me it was very eye opening and gave me great insight as to why I was binging. Knowing your history or at least what you have shared I have an idea of what you may using this book.

Mine went back to my childhood and my verbally abusive father. Plus when I was 9 i was over weight due to a thyroid problem and had to loose 15 lbs. Not easy to do at that age. I did it without much atta girl from either parents and my father was a hitler as he wouldn't allow me to serve myself dinner...he dished it out...and he kept count of the cookies in the bag.

Consequently I became a closet eater...stuffing my self with candy from a store that my parents did not go to. For me eating candy, sometimes 5 candy bars without anyone telling me I couldn't brought me a high...not really the candy, just knowing I was defying my father and bring control to me.

Over the years my weight went up and down. When I was happy, I didn't binge, but when life became stressful I did. Sometimes I wasn't aware of what the stress was. I was at my highest weight just before I divorced my son's father. He was as controlling as my dad and I swapped one abuser for another.

After I divorced I started walking and eating the way I knew I should. I was so happy with my life and it was easy. But I still was a closet eater. Years had taught me not to eat forbidden foods in front of people. I decided to slay that dragon. I explained what I wanted to do to my future husband. He knew an understood my fears. I cooked an apple pie and gathered all courage I had, cut the pie and carried it to the table. My hand shook so hard the pie almost fell off the plate. Getting the pie onto the fork and into my mouth took for ever but once I did it the world did not fall apart.

Over time I taught myself to eat controlled portions with ease. I had control again.

Over time I used my binges to make me become aware that something was wrong in my life. When I was home this past Sept I ate what ever I wanted, not my normal way of eating to handle the stress I was under. I knew what I was doing but I didn't care. Same for this past teaching assignment...food became my drug to survive.

For me my binged occur when I feel my world is out of control and I can't stop making it spin. It takes me awhile, but once I gain control for myself and I don't feel like others are stealing it from me I stop binging.

Binging is the drug that feeds your inner child..the im not gonna do it and you can't make me. kind of a thing.

Figure out what's eating you emotional and your binges should decrease. Remember you have to be very very selfish and take care of yourself. Not easy for you to do with all your home demands, not to mention you're such a care taker. Look back on your life when you weren't binging and compare it to your life now... bet you can find some clues there.

And for heaven sakes don't feel alone or ashamed over this...I'm sure there are others here in the village that can identify with your struggles... I know I do. Hugs
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 pm

kitty... for what its worth, this is the cd player I bought more than 30 years agao... Yikes!!!....

Its from Amazon and thought the ratings aren't terrific all I can say is mine has to have at least 800 miles on it and it still works. That aught to count for something. It has a large clip to hang on your pants, but after all these years and miles mine works best if I carry it in a running pouch around my waist. If I really do get back into this walking I'll probably by a new one. I love my CD's and can't find them in app form.

Philips AX3211 Jogproof Portable CD Player

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:13 pm

I did look at several different of the groups before selecting one. I found this explanation be helpful in exploring the differences. I carefully considered each one of these groups and might come back to them if the group I selected doesn't work out. (it isn't listed here).

The meetings are held by phone. They are recorded so can listen later if I can't attend. There is a very active FB group. I haven't been assigned a sponsor (yet) but have been given several (100+) names & numbers that are available to call/text/email as needed. Because I don't have a sponsor yet, I post my food plan online and get feedback about it daily (usually within an hour or so).

The food plan I am using is 3 meals and a snack. They encourage each person to develop their own food plan as needed. I am using the one they give as an example. There is A LOT of food to eat. I selected the foods that I like from their suggested plan (choice one item from each category each meal) and made me a "cheat sheet" to help me plan. Although counting calories is not mentioned I noticed it comes out to roughly 1200-1400 calories a day.

Breakfast:
    Dairy -
    6oz plain yogurt
    3oz cottage cheese
    8oz low fat or skim milk

Protein -
    1 egg
    3oz cottage cheese
    4 oz beans
    1 oz chicken, pork, beef

Grain -
    1 oz Oatmeal

Fruit-
    1/2 c applesauce
    1/2 c blueberries
    4 oz apple, orange
    1 c sliced strawberries

Lunch:
    Protein -
    3 oz fish/chicken/beef/pork
    2 eggs
    6 oz cottage cheese
    6 oz beans/legumes

Grain or fruit (optional)
    4 oz potato (white/sweet)
    Corn
    Green peas
    Spaghetti/acorn squash
    Beets
    Pumpkin
    Beans/legume
    Brown Rice
    1/2 c applesauce
    1/2 c blueberries
    4 oz apple, orange
    1 c sliced strawberries

Salad -
    6 oz

Vegetable:
    12 oz - Asparagus, broccoli, carrot,
    Cauliflower, cabbage, celery, cucumbers
    Eggplant, peppers, lettuce, greens, mushrooms
    Okra, onions, peppers, spinach, radishes, tomatoes
    Turnips, turnip greens, yellow squash, zucchini

Fat -
    1 T butter, olive oil, coconut oil
Dinner -
    Protein -
    3 oz fish/chicken/beef/pork
    2 eggs
    6 oz cottage cheese
    6 oz beans/legumes

Grain -
    4 oz potato (white/sweet)
    Corn
    Green peas
    Spaghetti/acorn squash
    Beets
    Pumpkin
    Beans/legume
    Brown Rice

Salad -
    6 oz

Vegetable:
    12 oz - Asparagus, broccoli, carrot,
    Cauliflower, cabbage, celery, cucumbers
    Eggplant, peppers, lettuce, greens, mushrooms
    Okra, onions, peppers, spinach, radishes, tomatoes
    Turnips, turnip greens, yellow squash, zucchini

Fat -
    1-2 T butter, olive oil, coconut oil
MA:
    Dairy -
    6oz plain yogurt
    3oz cottage cheese
    8oz low fat or skim milk

Fruit -
    1/2 c applesauce
    1/2 c blueberries
    4 oz apple, orange
    1 c sliced strawberries

And yes, the food is only a small part of the 12 Step Plan. There is a lot of self discovery & soul searching to do.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 pm

LadyM...good for you for being proactive and much success in you future.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:14 pm

i am a couple pages behind on CUOP in this thread! but see we are sharing lots of knowledge and am impressed. will have to catch up as a reward, maybe tomorrow. It will be the same in PWYC I think.

RunKitty, my only venture so far is broccoli microgreens, which I chose for nutrition's sake. I believe if I had learned more before-hand I might have tried a more reliable stand-by, since broccoli has a reputation for being more difficult to grow. Radish is supposed to be easiest, and suggested for learning. Sunflower and buckwheat are supposed to be the traditional reliables that probably will do well growing and make a big, pretty show, with good nutrition, too. Wheatgrass also, but you must juice it, and I was looking for attractive additions on top of salads, other foods. I've learned most from the Growing Your Greens videos on youtube (videos on everything for the garden, but a lot on microgreens). However, there's a lot on the net, and John at GYGs recently said that gotgreens.com (who, of course, want to sell their products, but still) have a lot of info on their site. I haven't been there yet.

I've been meaning to go over to our Outdoor Spaces forum and post about this. I guess I've been thinking I don't know much! I'll post over there the few things I do know!

Harmony, I was just reading the idea for people who want to cut down on meat but not eliminate it : shredding meat into a supper recipe/meal, so seeing it and getting it in most bites, maybe, but low percentage-wise. Then, mentally knowing that was/will be supper, makes breakfast and lunch without meat seem no big deal. That was from new book of Dr. Fuhrman, which I am finding to be a slow read, lots of science.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 pm

I did 30 min. On the exercise bike.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 pm

That group and food suggestions looks really good LadyM.
I admit I had heard the same thing of repeated sad stories about OA from a friend who went there,
though I know of some doing the OA/AA double, so maybe they do more of the emotional work there with their sponsor. Some add alanon or Coda to the mix as well. Good groups can be hard to find.

In the last 6 mths I've had to stop mindlessly eating dried figs like candy. Actually - the quality went down and I became adverse to them. I think all the wars around Turkey had an effect on production quality.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks, Ramblinrose. I've put the player and cd's on my wish list.
Hope the group is helpful, Lady Maverick. You always do such a good job researching. Glad you are going to be working the 12 steps. I've heard it's a good way to live your life.
Harriet, I'm going to try growing kale, broccoli, and radish microgreens to start. I'll let you know how it goes. Didn't have time to start them today, so hopefully tomorrow.......

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 pm

I came back in to correct my post. I posted a photo, and more about my little tray in Outdoor Spaces, and realized I'd made a mistake here.

Very cool to hear your plans, RunKitty - I'll be so interested to know how it goes for you.

Anyway, my mistake - It was gotsprouts, not gotgreens - sorry. Also as I go there and follow the directions I heard on the GYGs video, it turns out that there is a charge for their info, $2.99. Not a lot, I guess, but I was under the impression it was on the site for free. Under "got info?" it is called Home Grown Amazon Instant Video Stream. I've never purchased a video stream before, and am extremely spoiled by free youtube where I can bounce around to whatever I want, such as this squirrel or that :) so would probably learn more online instead.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm

My scale is at a stand still today. I did ge my graph paper set up to record my progress. I like using it to see how I am doing. Need to drink more water. Didn't reach my 80+ ozs yesterday.

I signed up a new to me step bet. There is only on game at the moment and it started on Jan. 15. The game uses my Heart app on my phone which counts my steps to calculate what my average daily steps on. To win the game I need to reach that goal at least 4 days our out of the week and then they set a higher goal for two days with a rest day as well.

I have to walk 7900 on my 4 days and 9500 for the other two. Thats doable for me if I saty focused. The game lasts 6 weeks and my bet amount is $35. The first week of the game doesn't count. Its used to get you used to the game and correct any errors that you make. If I play the first game, the next games calculations change according to my previous game. I'm gonna play along without joining to see how much of a commitment it will be.

My Gazelle calculates the distance I've gone each time I use it. I don't know what model Nancy has, but mine is over 12 years old and still going strong. It's distance and my phone are both accurate with each other, give or take bit, but I can live with it.

Sometimes I use it when I watch tv and other times I plug into my music and just go.............................

Off to drink some more water. two 16 oz bottles down and three more to go

Return to “Healthy Habits”