Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Agreed, Lynlee!

Guess I'm so familiar with growing in a flat tray with "soil", that it makes me more interested in the microgreens, Harmony. Also, they make the windowsill pretty. ;) you can use mats/pads that look like felt, too (hydroponic type things). I have the impression they're more expensive, but could be wrong.

Have never tried growing sprouts. Yes, I think the advice for learning that is to start with bean sprouts of some type. Jar or bag. it's supposed to be very easy. Has anyone tried it? HRH hates how quickly his mung bean sprouts go bad after bringing home from the grocery.

Today we ate the broccoli microgreens on our salads for the first time. Cucumber was the last thing I had sliced into the bowls, so it was a pretty salad, dark baby greens on top of the light slices. Taste is good, somewhere between broccoli and radish - a little of that peppery radish taste. You just snip as much as you want with scissors as if cutting hair, and leave the rest growing.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:29 am

I've done mung bean sprouts Harriet. a jar in the fridge, stocking piece tied on the top for ease of daily rinsing.
Was that all there was to it? Little lots so they are fresh, keep making them to have them coming along.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

Well at a standstill again..oh well part of the process.

My stomach... hernia ... is bothering me for some reason this morning. Not sure while as I only at the same. Didn’t get as many step n yesterday as I spent it cleaning the house and didn’t feel like stepping on the Gazelle. No worries just one day. Just staying focused and n plan
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:39 pm

I did a brisk 20 min. Walk w ddog. Glad to say I could keep up with her, my knees are good again now yea! 45* out side when we left.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I changed it up today did my 30 min. arms & legs on total gym, and the last 5 min. On the gazelle bc of a sore knee. :idea: Cannot belive I did not think of this last summer.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Tomorrow I head back to the gym with dfriend M. Eating on this trip wasn't too bad, I ate few restaurant meals because I didn't have time.

We'll see what the scales say in the a.m.

The Facebook group I'm in for the "Always Hungry?" woe uses an NSV acronym for a non scale victory. I bought a Hershey's "Special Dark Chocolate" bar in the hotel gift shop as a snack and it was vile! Way too much sugar! I gave the rest away.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:21 am

I have lost 8 lbs since July 1. That's measuring from the 10 day average on July 1 to today. And no weight gain while away!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Woo hoo! That is wonderful, Twins!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 pm

I won my diet bet but don’t know how much I won... not everyone’s results are in but one they are the game adm will figure out what are shares are. Had to loose 7 to win and I lost 8. Am atlready in a new game. It started this past Monday.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Happy for you, Twins'

Lynlee, it does sound simple, so I ordered some mung sprouts - we shall see! HRH truly loves those. Don't think the ones pictured look as large as the ones in stores, but if they have that refreshing taste, he will be delighted.

((Ramblin')) happy for you but stomping my foot for you and tummy - unfair!

Kathryn knocked into something today - familiarity. I know exactly how she feels, turning around and wondering how something got on the floor, because it certainly couldn't be that my own body touched it. Could it? :? BTDT

Wanted to say (in case it rings any bells) I finally put 2 and 2 together for my situation. In my (correct) blame of stress, I was forgetting another key for me: sodium. When stress leads me to a processed food, even a processed food made of healthy items so it looks pristine in my daily journaling, it opens the door for sodium. (usually the door to the freezer and a prepared meal) Then the sodium kicks the scale up higher and there's a cascade effect from seeing that. Mainly, a lack of encouragement. (Just give me an encouraging scale number in the morning and I'll do great the rest of that day.) Although there can be a cycle to more stress as well. Anyway, finally today - in 30 days, this time - I'm back to pre-holiday.

I spent several days sticking to a general plan for plenty of food I truly like, that doesn't come with hidden sodium. Everybody's different, but for me it's just generally:

breakfast either 1.5 serving whole-grain cereal with 1.5 serving variety diced fruit, or a sensible smoothie
poor-girl's lunch: beans, greens and brown rice (big plate - each one 1.5 serving, too)
salad-is-the-meal supper: a sweet (or white) baking potato on the side with a really large bowl of variety tossed salad with oil-free dressing and a few nuts.

And THEN the scale says, "oh, let me encourage you". :| And things change, part from sodium/diet and part from starting to believe they will.

Also should say yesterday I said my kitchen towel falls to the floor for children or adults. Definitely the edges of my body are a culprit.

Return to “Healthy Habits”