Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Looking at LadyM's list of foods, it strikes me that portion sizes are small. It always seems to come down to portion sizes in whatever diet plan I've ever read. I have similar problems. Food "policing" of my allergy things left its mark. Way back when I was little I'd hide and eat those things I was forbidden. It doesn't feel much different these days because I still have symptoms of allergy... so though I'm not forbidden to eat certain things, having symptoms tells me I have those problems still.

Now compound the problem with not being able to ingest much fluid, and my acid reflux problems, I find I am often in the kitchen looking around what can I eat... and I always get into problems when I go grocery shopping. Nobody can see if I'm eating stuff on the way home or after, which I know might not be good for me...

LadyM are you not doing weight watchers any more? Whatever you do, I wish you luck.

We have a very very obese guy at church who has had 2 gastric bypasses and he recently told me of his binging problems and addictions and he claims to have conquered them through prayer after years of trying. He is not making huge progress but is down a couple hundred pounds.

Harriet, microgreens. How about sprouts? I understand beans are easy to sprout?

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Harmony...I'm laughing at you. I used to eat stuff i wasn't suppose to and would eat it in the car before I got home...still do every great once in a while. Old habits die hard. My biggest problem would be hiding the evidence, the wrappers. and way back when I would eat too many cookies out of a package to go unnoticed so would stop somewhere, buy a new pack and throw away the one I had eaten so no one would know what I had done.

Funny I hadn't thought about that in a long time until you posted your comments.

I can dodge most goodies during Halloween, but Easter time always gets me. Last year I made it through the entire season with eating any, I think because my son's wedding was coming up. I know where my binging on Easter candy comes from. When I was growing up I was not allowed to have candy. My mom would fill my basket with small items like powder and girlie stuff, but what I really wanted was candy like everyone else.

Once I was on my own there was no one to tell me no, and so I indulge in what I couldn't have then, especially Cardbury chocolate eggs and old fashion cheap jelly beans...oh and I still tend to hide the packages lol
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Walied ddog on hill reg. Route w rocks on the way home. 25 min..

WYG everyone 5 pages in this thread!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Nancy...

I am down .6lb today. If I can continue on this plan I hope to loose 2.5-3.0 lbs a week. That would get me to my final goal by the first of April with a bit of wiggle room inbetween. My reward will be a small package of Cadbury Eggs and jelly beans. That way when I see them in the store I can tell myself...Not yet, not yet.

I have a girls night out at a friends house this weekend where it will be food and drinks. I will eat before I go and bring my own food. Can't drink even a sip because of my stomach so that will be a good excuse.

I was going to make a Hummingbirld cake, being that I really am a Southern girl, but nixed that Idea.. The left over cake would come home with me and that would be too much of a temptation and I don't need that struggle right now.

I have my first major goal coming up in 1.8 lbs and am looking at making that by Monday. If it happens sooner great. I'm just trying to maintain my focus and stay to the plan.

I made 11,471 steps yesterday and walked in total 7.4 miles, much of that on my Gazelle. I have a friend who lost over 300lbs in a year starting last Jan with bi-pass surgery. He was my assistant during my teaching assignment and has been an inspiiration to me. He cooks amazing treats for his family but never takes a bite and averages more than 20K steps a day. He is one of the nicest and happiest people I know. Just looking at his before and after pictures just blow me away. I can't even recognize him 450+ self.

I need to make a grocery run, but don't need much. It occurred to me that I could walk to the store and carry what I need home in my back pack so thats what I plan to do after lunch.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Shopping, walk ddog around the block, and 5 min. Of arm exercises on total gym was my exercise today. Not feeling the best calling that good enough.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 am

Nancy...anything is better than nothing. Feel better.

I’m down .2 lbs ... not much but at least it’s down. Got in 15,701 steps yesterday and stayed on my eating plan.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

RamblinR. Wtg on you wt losses. Doing laundry has me doing stairs this morning. I did walk the dog today. I am on week 2 of logging info. It is geting a bit easier.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm

~~~waving Hi to all~~~

I am taking a pause from PWYC because I can't keep up. I will be back ASAP. PWYC is my home and I feel like a traveler visiting another place but already longing to get back "Home".

Right now I am double/triple timing it to get my daily "must do" accomplished as I add in the intense 12 step study. Homework every day that is soul searching to journal (not quick and easy to accomplish).

I am a bit surprised how much I am enjoying the daily meetings (phone). I like the format of the meetings - it is very structured & timed. It is not about people as much as it is about experiences and tips doing the steps. Each day one tool is discussed with tips given. I find myself feeling like I'm trying to drink from a fire hose. The information is so new to me that I need to take notes on everything.

I am on day #7 of no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, and no flour. I can't say it has been easy but it does feel doable now.

I am still struggling to plan what I eat and eat what I plan. I do make a plan each day and am improving with sticking to it. The feedback I get on my daily food plan is disheartening on some days. Things that I thought would be acceptable are not (hidden sugars). But the good news is I want to learn so I only need to be told once. I am really focusing on weighing and measuring everything.

Today I tested cooking frozen mixed vegetables 3 different ways using the oven, microwave & air fryer. The air fryer won HANDS DOWN.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Ladym
I’m trying hard to do the no artificial sugar thing too.... already gave up sugar and flower. Some days are better than others and right now I am really craving something sweet big time. It what I have found that helps with that craving is to eat a small sliced dill pickle ...really works for me

I did focused journaling as well and it was really an eye opener to me as well ... good luck :D

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Cheering you on LadyM.
Of course its hard, but every day is a winner when you are trying to live a new way.
Remember to congratulate yourself for every effort.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”