Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2018

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm now down to 3 pounds above my post-Christmas weight. I was another 4 pounds above that on Saturday when I weighed in for the first time since coming home. Most of the loss since then is water (flying causes me to gain weight, while simultaneously being dehydrated.)

The gain over the 3 weeks was upsetting because, for the most part, I ate well. I had french fries once or twice and onion rings (shared order, once.) I had, at most, 4 non-fruit desserts, two of those were ice cream (despite being in hot, hot, hot, weather all that time.) I had only about 10 Cokes or Dr. Peppers over the 25 days which was good given I was flying 8 days of that time. I drank water like there was no tomorrow. I had my breakfast of yogurt and fruit and a glass of milk the half of the holiday where I could control my breakfast. I did have potato chips but only 2 bags (not single serving but smaller than North American bags.)

I think the biggest issue was the grazing. Since meals were often not at a set time, I was grazing and it is easy to have 3 healthy snacks that combine to 400 calories instead of a 300 calorie breakfast. If cheese and crackers make up your calories for lunch, a snack of potato chips and a sparkling water and then a dinner, well, that puts my calorie count too high for the day despite 'not having' breakfast or lunch.

I had one day (Jan 1/2/3) where the only food offered on the trip was breakfast food. Then on the way home (Jan 25/25 again) I was offered dinner 3 times. With me criss-crossing time zones, I never knew what time it was to eat, or what was appropriate.

Dd's struggle with too little weight reminded me of what slavishly sticking to an eating plan can do (she's trying to not lose weight, her BMI is now 18, but she also won't eat more carbs and is maxed out on protein.) She's inspired me to do my best to stick this out to the end of February and see where that leaves me.

In the meantime, dh has been read the riot act. I'll cook my meals and he can either join me or not, or add sides if he wants it with fries or something else. If it is some he usually cooks, I'll get him to make it but to my standards (i.e. less oil, he cooks with too much oil.) I'll go out for dinner once a week. That's it for the first month, we can negotiate after that.

He loves eating out so this is a punishment for him. But, I'm at my wits end with this weight and it is giving in to him wanting to go out all the time that is part of the problem. I'm sure another part of it is giving up diet soft drinks (I'm up 5 pounds since I did that.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 pm

K in C in the heat of your va it is a challenge I am sending U cyber hugs.

I have some good news down a couple lbs., plus baggy jeans yea. so my efforts are beginning to pay off. With more spring-like temps it is easier to get exercise. I am grateful to be healthy so I can do yard work. We were discussing taking the stuff like branches we have loaded to eco, plus we have things to take to the dump, and gutters to clean. Glad for the mojo.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Harriet... I would have been down more but during the first part of the month ate only bread, rice and potatoes.

My stomach is doing better as l learn what I can and can not eat. Smaller portions, less meat I usually eat chicken..a bit of fruit, no starch bread or rice and no oil, which tends to upset my stomach. Same with dairy, including cheese. Probiotics and natural apple cider vinegar have helped... as has my thiacine and niacin.

When I feel ok I walk or use my Gazelle. My PA has confirmed my unusual stress over the past 9 months contributed to some of my health issues. I used food to medicate myself at times and my weight shows it. I am not beating myself up over it. I am now 8lbs down and look to loose anoth 20 by my birthday which is the end of April. It’s doable

Today I bought myself a bracelet that states Enjoy the Journey. I am not an impulsive buyer but it spoke to me.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I meant to add...carbonation tears up my stomach as does caffeine so that does away with soda,at least for a while. I can drink homemade decaf ice tea. I am Walden’s products at the moment so at least I can have some salad dressing on my salads...oh and no nuts of any kind either.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 am

Kathryn - the cordial you added to water in Australia is full of sugar. The content label gives the % sugar for a diluted drink, not the cordial itself. Its seems like cheating to me when manufacturers do that, when people are expecting it to be the % of whatever is in the container. I don't know how much of that you had, but it will be in the mix.

Harriet - maybe look again online at sprout making instructions. If I was to start making them again I would read online first. The seeds do swell with the added water as they sprout.

I was so stiff after this week's yoga class. Epsom salts in my bath water last night helps.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 am

I am on Day #14 today with no sugar and no flour. I also gave up artificial sugar with one holdout - chewing gum. Yesterday I decided to give it up so I gathered my supply of gum and put it into a bag to give away.

I'm surprising myself with the lack of desire for sugar and flour items. I have no desire for them now. I prepare them for DH and DKids but I don't eat them.

Everything I eat is weighed & measured so I am not going to weigh myself except on the 1st day of the month. This is HUGE decision for me and feels like I am stepping into the unknown. I always weigh myself daily and experience the up/down from emotions of the number. I don't like letting the number on the scale set the mood for my day. I am making the commitment to follow my food plan for the next month (at least) so I am going to trust the process. I will weigh Feb 1st and then not again until March 1st. That commitment feels scary to me but it also forces me to not cheat with extra portions.....even though the food I am eating is mostly healthy.

The 2 food items that are bothering me the most now is miracle whip and tortilla chips. I have been allowing myself to eat Miracle Whip because sugar is the 5th item on the ingredients. I allowed the tortilla chips because they only have 3 ingredients (corn, oil, salt). However, those 2 food items trigger me to desire more and more of them. I struggle controlling my eating when I eat them. So those 2 items are off my food plan for February. I'll revisit this decision to eat them in March.

Otherwise, I am enjoying my new food plan. I eat a lot of food! I can't fit all my food at lunch & dinner onto a single plate so I use 2 plates at each meal to hold it. It takes me over 30 minutes to eat it each meal.

I am not doing well with steps since cold weather happened. I will be working on increasing those adding more steps to each day.

I totally agree that stress is a huge part of eating. I know I am under stress now but I can see no end in sight so I just need to deal with it. My stress is from caring for others. Taking care of myself is something I fit in between taking care of others. I am not going to bale on them so I just need to be a successful juggler. But honestly, we all have things that stress us. Mine is no more than others. Other people successfully handled all that I do plus more. I can't use this as an excuse. Stress is a fact of living life, but it is not something that can't be handled.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am

Lynlee: I was mixing the cordial at 1:5 or 1:6 (so only 1/6th of the drink.) I was confused with the labeling as well. It doesn't help that I think of things in calories, not kilojules so that messes up the calorie count on items as well and to be honest the print is too fine on the bottle (even on their website, with my full screen monitor I had to increase the magnification to read the calorie count.)

It is funny that the label says per 250 ml* and the * says when mixed according to directions since the big label on the front says:

"Ideal for mixing or simply a great thirst quencher," which implied to me that you could drink it straight.

The small print directions say mix 1/4 so I was diluting it further than they recommended so got less than the 95 calories per glass. Although I will admit to at first (not) believing it was 95 calories for 250 ml, since that's what the label said. But the label also said 15 servings per bottle and it was a 750 ml bottle so that's when I checked out the finer print.

At that point, I wasn't counting calories and in total had only about 250 ml of the stuff (so 380 calories, or the equivalent of 2 cans of soda.) Thus, that alone, would not account for the weight gain. But it all adds up, the 100 calorie packet of nuts, the ounce of cheese, the glass of milk in a larger than usual glass, the 130 calorie protein bar.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Woke up at 3:15 checked bs #65 so had a donut bs was up in to ack! Zone by morning. Enjoyed the blue moon while eating that & took dog out for a wee.

I am back from walking the dog this afternoon.

Return to “Healthy Habits”