Health and Fitness, February, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2018

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:56 pm

I have weighed my food so offend I seldom need to do it anymore. When I first tried loosing weight as an adult I used a place called the diet center... it was there I learned about proportion sizes and learned to weigh my foods.

Later when I gained back my weight due to medication and stress I knew I was eating all wrong. I had just turned thirty eight and wanted to see what I would look like thin. Went back to weighing food and proportions, only use a dessert plate to eat off of and a smaller fork. Added walking and in three months lost thirty pounds.

After a while I got so good at it I didn’t need to weigh my food.

Last night I had a 7 oz steak. I eat three last night so I cut it in half for my lunch today. I can eat 1 1/2. cups of veggies for each lunch and dinner and I am pretty good at judging it.

I put 4 16ozs bottles of water on my kitchen counter which is open to my living area so it’s easy to see. I drink a whole bottle when I first get up. I’m not a sipper do I just down it. And I usually drink 80ozs a day not counting coffee or tea. I never drink milk... stalls me out ... except dab in my coffee.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 am

DS9 asked a couple days ago if he could eat like I am eating. YES!!!!!!! I do not want to push healthy eating on DS9 because I don't want to be in the position of being his food police. This has to be his decision. For the rest of his life he needs to know he is in charge of what he puts into his mouth.

We have studied healthy eating in books and are currently doing a Health study in homeschool. That is helpful knowledge to have but it is "book learning". He needs help with real life.

So, because I had no other idea..... I got 6 large clear plastic containers and labeled them - Protein, Carb, Vegetable, Fruit, Fat, Dairy. These 6 containers are in our refrigerator with all of the food in our refrigerator divided up into these categories. I've told DS9 that he needs to select something from each box when he puts a meal together. It is also prompting several discussions and real-life learning opportunities for him.....I thought lemons were vegetables. Is Mayo a fat? It's not a perfect meal system, but it is a start.

I'm eating 2 vegan meals a day. I have zero intention of giving up meat, but I legumes are soooo tasty that I don't have meal space to include it more.
I use meat to boost my protein so I can meet the macro requirements for the day. It's a learning process.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Walked ddog this morning , yea did that before the winds started up.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 pm

I've lost a pound. Now to keep it off, that's the hard part.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:52 pm

I cleaned chicken run 25 min. Did some yd. Clean up in front for a few min. To get the rest of my exercise in. I had a short walk with the ddog around the loop. A nice day for it. Had pea soup for dinner it sounded good.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Kathryn, best wishes in your plan! I looked at your list and certainly see your point about so much being interrelated. I have also had the half-formed thought of a similar list for myself of things that are probably aggravated by water retention (in other words, sodium in my diet).

I again weighed at my same low weight of 2017 this a.m. So I'm in a hovering place right now, but like Harmony says, keeping it off is part of it. Today had to be a rushed day, and we had veggie tacos with salsa, which I know will have had more sodium than usual for me, so it may not be the next couple days that I have any progress at the scale. When I do, I expect it in ounces at a time, as usual. It's all good.

I feel it in my fingers right now. I am so sensitive to sodium.

LadyM, do you ever have lentils? I have had them rarely up to now but am thinking they would be a good addition. Like you say, legumes are so tasty.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 am

Harriet: I'm lucky about sodium. I seem to be able to tolerate a higher amount than some people with no side effects. On the other hand, if it is a high sodium meal (like pizza), then there is a 1 - 2 pound gain but that comes off when I return to my regular sodium levels.

Today I was back at my pre-trip/post-Christmas weight. So I've 'lost' 7 pounds since getting home. Three came off within 2 days so that was the sodium/dehydration/flying weight.

While this makes no sense, I feel the remaining 4 pounds were recently gained therefore were not firmly attached to my body so came off quickly.

I have 10 more pounds to lose before no longer being 'obese'. Sigh...

The test of this way of eating is if the weight continues to come off at the same rate (2 lbs a week.) If so, then I'll make my goal 179 for March 1 and no longer obese by Easter.

The way of eating is becoming both easier and more difficult. I've added in more veggies (telling myself they can be virtually unlimited.) And a second serving of fruit a day. That has replaced peanuts in my diet so my fat count is lower than I'm shooting for. I don't miss potatoes so dinners are fine. I've started having occasional sandwiches (whole grain bread) with no ill effect although I can't have that plus some higher carb for dinner, it is an either/or.

I'm having trouble finding the time to exercise and plan and track food each day. That's the hard part. I'm considering drawing up a 7 day eating plan and then eating the same things each week. That will solve a lot of the planning and tracking time problems.

I'm still exceeding my calorie limit (even when adding in exercise) but that's OK, the important thing is to count and be conscious of what I'm eating.

Last night I deliberately ate half my exercise calories before bed by having a piece of toast and honey. I need a better, lower calorie spread since I forgot I really don't like honey. Peanut butter is too high in calories. There used to be a fruit spread that was 15 calories a tablespoon so I'll go looking for that in the store (all jams, etc. were lost when the fridge lost power.)

Looking back at my weigh-ins you can see when I gave up aspartame. There was a 5 pound gain over 4 weeks after my weight hovering back and forth by a pound for almost the whole year. The gaining only stopped when I added Zevia into my diet, but one can a day instead of the 2 of Diet Dr. Pepper I used to have. In my case that shows the people who believe aspartame makes you fat are not using it the way I used it. On the other hand, I'm hoping those 5 pounds are also 'new' and not 'firmly attached' so they'll come off too.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

I am on day 6 of my eating plan. I am down but I don’t know how much since I’ve decided not to get on the scale for a while. I know I’ve lost weight because today I put on a non stretch pair of jeans that I haven’t been able to wear for a while .

I’ve only gone off plan twice, both while I was in the hospital with Sweetie. I ate several gram crackers will in the surgery waiting room because it had been more than 24 hours since I had eaten and I was starving. I also used a tad of their cafeteria salad dressing which contains oil and sugar because I was t carrying my own. I’ve cut down the amount of stevia I am using and am not using any dairy or butter which I love.

Some days I get way above my step amount and other days not so much. I realize for me the scale is a distraction and if I don’t see results my convictions weaken.

So I’ll just stay on plan and let my clothes be my guide.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm

I need to round up my friend M and get back to the Y. I'm not sure whether that will happen this week or next. We are going out of town next week - a fun trip (sorry, fun for dh) to Las Vegas. Considering the trip to SLC and then the flu was what knocked me off the schedule before, I might do better to wait?

My weight has been gradually dropping a bit. I gave up alcohol for "Dryuary" and I think that helped. I've only had one glass of wine in February.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:03 pm

I have been cleaning up the yard and have done several rounds here for my exercise today. I am glad for the near record high temps for this week.

Return to “Healthy Habits”