Health and Fitness, March, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, March, 2018

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Welcome! This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2018

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Two workouts this week, and hopefully one on Saturday too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 pm

I walked with the dog today it was great weather today for it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:35 pm

My hip is really bad. It woke me up several times until I put Voltaren on it last night. I managed 2 miles today but that's because it was outside and we had an errand to do. My total steps for the day will only be 8K if I'm lucky. And my pace is slow. I sat in the recliner tonight with heat on it and it is a bit better.

My weight was still at 180 this morning so a pound more than my goal but my goal was 8.5 pounds in 4 weeks, which is terribly aggressive.

I have had three 'bad' days in a row where my calorie count is much higher than it should be. At least with the food logging, I'm seeing this and have the warning bells going off. If I can't exercise, I will have to keep my calorie count extremely low so I need to be careful not to damage my hip. I'm thinking of heading to the physiotherapist in the next week if it doesn't heal quickly. It isn't great most of the time but not to the degree that it keeps me awake or causes me to call out in pain from time to time.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 am

Almost 14k today... stayed on plan, well almost. Madechocalate chip cookies for Sweetie and ate one. Then he tells me he doesn’t want to eat sugar cause of blood work he’s having done. Don’t know if the cookies will freeze well, it that’s where they are... out of site, out of mind :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 am

Harriet - thank you for this monthly thread! You are a wonderful encourager for us to take good care of our health & fitness.

My first of the month check-in.
Day #44 No sugar, no flour.
Day #32 No artificial sweetener and no corn.
Day #21 Toolbox used
Day #14 No instant potatoes
Day #10 Exceeding sleep goal (6 hrs)
Day #8 Exceeding step goal (7K)
Day #6 No nuts
Day #2 Freedom from overeating.

Overall I am pleased with my progress in February. Although, I have MANY areas to work on and improve I feel like I am heading in the right direction.

My biggest struggle is still overeating. This is a complex issue that doesn't have a single solution. There is a physical side and a spiritual side. The physical side is fairly cut/dried. When I eat certain foods then it causes me to crave more and more. The solution is to eliminate eating them because if I restrict myself and try to eat just a little bit, then I'm in constant negotiation with myself with how much and when I can get my next fix. Or I'll just eat something else to make up for not being able to eat as much as I desire. For me - 1 bite is too much and 1000 bites aren't enough of these trigger foods. To eliminate the insane physical cravings it is simpler to just eliminate the trigger foods. I am learning what my trigger foods are and the DANGER signal goes off in my brain now when I think about them. I don't want to eat them because I know what they will do to me. I am enjoying a peaceful & calm feeling as I learn what will set off these physical cravings. Once I remove them from my eating plan and get over the initial withdraw, then the desire to eat them goes away.

But the issue I am working on the most now is the other part of the problem. I have discovered that this is a spiritual problem more than a physical one. I realize that might sound totally wacko but I have come to realize it is the truth for me. I am seeing progress in my understanding which is encouraging. I am trying to hang on to my patience and not get frustrated that it isn't happening NOW. On the positive side, I am not hiding my overeating but logging them. My binges now are only eating too much of healthy type of food, but they are still overeating because I'm not satisfied with "enough".

I am doing the exchange system with the OA program. That means I plan to have a certain number of servings of all of the categories (protein, dairy, fat, vegetables, and fruit( each day. This ensures that I am doing a well-balanced food plan. Once I meet the exchange system categories, I am using MFP to tweak the size of the servings to meet my calorie goal (1200) because I want to know this information. This is not part of the OA program but something that I am doing for myself.

This is my food plan for today -
B:
Protein 2T Collagen
Dairy 4 oz Greek Yogurt
Grain 1/4 c Oatmeal dry
Fruit 2 oz Applesauce
1 oz Blueberries
L:
Protein 2 HB eggs
Fat 1 T butter
Grain 4 oz potato
Veg raw 6 oz raw veg (celery, tomato, cucumber, carrot)
Veg Cooked 6 oz cooked veg (summer squash)
D:
Protein 4 oz chicken breast
Fat 2 T sunflower kernels
Grain 3 oz pinto beans/1 oz brown rice
Veg raw 6 oz raw veg (celery, tomato, cucumber, carrot)
Veg Cooked 6 oz cooked veg = 3 oz Salsa/3 oz Artichoke hearts
MA:
Protein 8 oz organic chicken broth,
Dairy 4 oz Cottage Cheese
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 am

LadyM....my biggest trigger for binges is carbs, especially bread and sweets like cookies and/or candy. Same thing happens to me, one bite and I’m on my way. I know I’m additive to sugar... plain and simple. I consider mysel a sugar alcoholic and treat myself that way. However for the most I can ignore the cravings. The less sugar and carbs I eat, the less I crave them. That’s what keeps me on track... even fruit can set me off and I have finally realized as much as I love them one bite and I’m off on a binge.

Artificial sugar doesn’t set me off, but I don’t use much any way. Sometimes I find myself standing in the pantry looking for something with carbs and/or sugar. While I’m standing there it occurred to me that my addition as kicked in. Usually I can kill the craving with a hot cup of decaf tea... don’t know how I discovered it but I did. I believe the process of making my tea distracts my mind and drinking the tea also dampens my cravings.

I want to binge when I get my feeling hurt... I self medicate like an alcoholic ... or when sever stress spins my world out of control... binging slows my world down. Usually I can control it, but throw me back not situations like when I was growing up like taking care of my mom this summer and fall and I find myself binging all over again. I think if I had been able to prepare myself for it I might have handled myself better

I know my binging started when I was a kid. And now I know why have for a long time... but as we both know old habits are the hardest to break.

Last night I almost let it when I made cookies for Seeetie.. I ate two and wanted way more. I quickly wrapped them up and put them away... out of sight, out of mind...and then took the time to think about my whys. I’ve been eating health for a while with very little cheats over these past six weeks. I’m just not happy with my progress and those two cookies was my way of medicating my disappointment with my scale.

One thing that might help you with your portion control and something I’ve been doing for over thirty years is to change your plate size.... I never ever eat off a dinner plate but use my fancy dessert plates instead. It tricks the brain not thinking your plate is full. I also use a salad/dessert fork as well because you can’t put sa much food on them as a regular fork. I also use much smaller bowel like custard cups to control my portions.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:09 pm

I have two addictions - salty and sweet. The sweet is the easier to control for me, though. Giving up artificial sweeteners added to my weight since they satisfied my cravings and not having them meant I dealt with the cravings by adding in sugary drinks. I did my best to limit but those extra calories add up.

Stress is a whole other monster, though. The other day something went wrong and I found myself binging. For now, my goal when this happens is to binge on healthy things and forgive myself. We'll see how that goes.

My calorie count has been up for the past few days. My pain level is also up and I'm reminded that I also overeat when in pain which creates a double-whammy. I can't exercise when I'm in pain, therefore I should be eating fewer calories, not more.

Predictably, my weight is up a pound this morning. So I'm focusing on an extreme low calorie day (for me that means 1200 calories.) And I'm trying to remember to take ibuprofen through the day to keep the pain at bay. I'm achieving that by having just yogurt and cut veggies for lunch plus a bowl of popcorn for the volume to help me feel not hungry. Dinner is planned and an after theatre snack as well.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:12 pm

I walked the dog.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 pm

My goodness, Kathryn, that's a remarkable month.

Your workouts are getting more frequent, Twins'.

Nancy, we have good weather, too, but it has got to give in to some cold again soon - just stands to reason.

LadyM, your gains may become as much self-realization as measure. Interesting.

Ramblin' I would add to those binge times the moments when there's too much going on, when "nerves are frayed". Yes, I think the process of making the thing that you're substituting can be a big help - it's like saying to your craving, "I'm doing it, I'm doing it. Hold your horses." ;)

I'm back on my usual meandering, stop-and-smell-the-roses weight-loss trail. lol I lost almost a pound in February (this scale measures in 2 ounce increments, so 8/10ths, but that sounds finicky). Nurse at dr's office 6-month appt says for me to weigh at other offices or wherever, and get other opinions of my scale's accuracy, because hers disagrees with mine (and it would be in my "favor").

Dr noticed loss since August, and the full crossover into optimal blood pressure, saying pleasant things. I don't think doctors realize how much a few seconds to say something positive can impact their patients. I don't define myself by dr's statements, but I do leave with optimism.

Now to stay optimistic through some arm exercises. Also more commitment to having enough water.

Return to “Healthy Habits”