Health and Fitness, April 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2018

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Hmmm... ... somehow not seeing my own post about March. Maybe it didn't post.

March was a no-movement-on-the-scale month for me, which is fine. I have had compliments on weight loss from acquaintances and friends, but I think it's just "lighter" seasonal clothes showing them a loss that was already there.

I cooked with several new veggies and fruits in March - something I love to do.

Arm exercise has been haphazard. That's one thing I wish I could brag on more. Try, try again to get that into the routine.

LadyM, how is your hair growth going? I thought of you when my dd38 mentioned that she seems to have a lot of "baby hair" right now around her hairline. Whatever you and she are doing, good job and please bottle that. lol. She is saying, hmmm... .. no clue? And just wondering. She also does take alfalfa like me, but that has been over a long period, not starting recently. I think my hot curlers are no friend to my hair, but hate admitting it since they do make my hair look so much nicer.

cats was chatting about her foot, pleased with healing.

Does my driver's license have a weight on it? :shock: (checking) no, I'm glad to say, only height, lol. I would have to take the date of mine and go back then in recordkeeping to see if I match - I doubt it, since it was way back.

Congrats on matching yours, RunKitty!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

RunKitty - CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so thrilled for you.

The new hair growth continues. I don't ever remember this happening to me before. Weird!

Today is Day #84 No sugar, no flour, no sweeteners
Day #10 Abstinence streak

I started out posting my daily food on my OA group and MyFitnessPal but decided to give up posting my food on MFP. OA food plan primary focus is not on calories and it was causing me extra effort to meet my calorie goals on MFP. Now I just focus on following the Step easy food plan using their food exchange guidelines. At first, it was a total PITA to learn and do but now I am comfortable with it and find it easy to follow. I am losing about 2lbs a week now. I've lost 3.5 lbs since 1st of April.

I am still struggling to learn and do the 12 Tools (which include the 12 Steps). I post those daily to my accountability group and that is what takes so much of my time & effort. Hopefully, as they become familiar to me then doing the 12 tools will get faster. I am excited because as of today I finally have a sponsor!! So now I think I have all the pieces to do this OA program.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm

I did a ten min. Walk with ddog, and several more rounds of yard work for my exercise today.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:27 am

I enjoyed looking at LM's link, the ins and outs of her group, and suggested standard meal plan.

For me, Its a pity its on FB as a delivery system for meetings as I continue my boycott of that, and it is an effort for me to keep away from certain things.

Day 3 of cereal out of a box, so that would be a no on doing that. I know cooking the actual seeds is better for me than the processed product. Not having gotten the seedy mix cooking when it would have been timely is the issue for me.
Yes to the addictiveness of it all. And other things.

I did a compare and contrast to the suggestions found searching the link RR? left
especially this page: http://www.getoffyouracid.com/8-foods-m ... me-go-eat/

I thought they had some common elements.

When I started finding out what worked better for me in late 1979-80, I took 3 suggested and diverse diets and just did what was common to all 3. No sugar, artificials, preservatives, tea or coffee. It helped.
I need to get back to very strict on the no sugar thing. There is a little in the aforementioned boxed cereal.
And to listening to my body.
If my urges are more more more for anything, its usually/ mostly the wrong for me thing.
Ahhh that's nice, that can satisfy.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Thank you, LadyMaverick. Congratulations to you too on your steady, healthy weight loss.
I also enjoyed reading the link you provided. The spiritual component is essential if we are to gain true freedom from addiction/obsession/cravings. I'm so happy that OA is working for you.
During the refrigerator discussion, you mentioned that you would not be replacing the candy you had been using as rewards for your ds. I began thinking about what we tend to call "treats". They usually have absolutely no nutritional value and actually cause cravings. A treat should feed your soul, not just satisfy your taste buds for a minute or two. My kids' reward for finishing homeschool work was to go outside and run around the house a few times. Thanks for sharing the link. I was inspired by it and by your success. :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I have walked with the dog for my exercise today.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:04 am

A treat should feed your soul, not just satisfy your taste buds for a minute or two.

So very true.

Thanks RK!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 am

Heading out to do a round of yd work this morning leaves need picked up on the side of the house. Did that for 30 min.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Day 3 of cereal out of a box, so that would be a no on doing that. I know cooking the actual seeds is better for me than the processed product. Not having gotten the seedy mix cooking when it would have been timely is the issue for me.
Yes to the addictiveness of it all. And other things.

Lynlee, re: time on cereal
I wanted to pass this by you anyway! So I'm glad you mentioned it. (I know - this based on oats. Not sure you would do that.) Because I truly liked the convenient "super seeds" cereal pouches product available here, yet each little serving was $1 :shock: and only half as big as I like, they were therefore filled with guilt. (An ingredient that is not good for me). :| So, I started about 4-5 days ago trying to mimic it from my own pantry. So into 1/2 cup uncooked Old Fashioned Rolled Oats i have been adding a teaspoon each of hemp hearts, ground flaxseed and unsweetened coconut bits, plus a half-teaspoon of ground chia.

Their product must be "instant" oats although they say "rolled" - otherwise, how could it cook in 75 seconds in microwave? And of course I want the less processed. So this takes the time of the rolled, which is not much more, and it seems to be no problem changing cooking time for any of the ingredients. The stars of my oatmeal are the bits of fresh fruit anyway, but this base is so close to the fancy-pricey convenience food that I'm pretty pleased with myself. So, it seems to me my attention-span may be kept (bought? :lol: ) for the sake of penny-pinching!

The only ingredient I'm missing to recreate their product (I don't count inulin) is the buckwheat, but that doesn't cook in so short a time so I can't figure how they put that into a convenience packet anyway - must be precooked and dried. i suppose if I ever cooked buckwheat for a meal I could save it and add to cereal the next morning, but by that time I could have eaten all I wanted, so doesn't seem interesting for this purpose, knowing that. To choose buckwheat, it seems to me I would probably just start with that as the base whenever I feel like a 15-to-20-minute cooking plan.

More flaxseed would be better for this mini-recipe from a nutrition standpoint. I'm trying to get the look and mouthfeel of the convenience food right now, though.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Todays exercise included unloading trailer of branches, picking up the back yard, cleaning the patio garden area, getting limbs off the fence & I walked the dog.

Return to “Healthy Habits”