Health and Fitness, April 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2018

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I had a bad week of not tracking food consumed last week. On the other hand, I did up my steps a bit and I have managed two days in a row of eating every calorie allotted (including credit for the steps) but not over. So that is an improvement.

I'm will to confirm I'm down a pound. So I'm at 174. My realistic goal for this month was 171 and my overall schedule should have me at 169. Neither of those are going to happen although I am disappointed about missing the 171. My goal of 163 by June 1 is obviously not going to happen now unless there's some sort of miracle. It is just 11 pounds over 5.5 weeks, should be easy, peasy! /sarc

I am enjoying walking longer distances, though, now that the weather is better. I've had several 4 mile days in a row now. And the turkey leftovers are almost all gone now so after tomorrow's lunch out at a restaurant, I'll be able to return to more restricted eating for a few weeks.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Walked the dog and did yd work for exercise both mon. & tues.. wed. Mowing day.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 am

LadyM: have you been able to reconcile your eating plan with church? My issue is that so much of life in community revolves around food (the same is true even for those who aren't church-goers) and taking my own food seems rude, trying to not eat seems impossible and taking enough for everyone is undoable when I'm leaving home at 8 in the morning, living 30 minutes from the church, and with no cooking facilities at our church except a microwave.

Our church is in the process of switching to evening worship over a potluck meal and I'm not sure how to reconcile that with my eating plan.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am

The first few weeks I struggled greatly with eating out and potlucks. Now it is almost a no-brainer. I have made choices, developed a plan of action and stick with them 99% of the time. A typical week for me -
* Sunday after church- eat lunch out at our favorite restaurant
* Monday after homeschool coop - eat lunch at a buffet type restaurant or having a picnic
* Wednesday before church - eat dinner at the church potluck
* Thursday - take DS9 out for lunch
* Friday - eat lunch with DGS21 - we either eating out or eat at his apartment
* Saturday - eat out after hiking

this required me to develop several plans of action for each type of eating -
** Favorite restaurant - Grilled meat (I like a grilled pork chop), baked potato (I eat 1/2 of it and bring 1/2 home with me), 1 T of butter on the potato, green beans, and tomato/lettuce salad. This is my go-to....already decided meal that I order when eating at a restaurant. grilled meat, baked potato, 1 T butter, low carb vegetable and a salad.
** Buffet type restaurant - I follow a similar plan - Grilled or baked meat with no breading (using the size of my palm to judge how much), 1/2 of potato or 1/2 cup of rice, 1 T butter, a large helping of raw vegetables, a large helping of cooked low carb vegetables (not fried or breaded)
** Potluck - I pack my food and eat it before the potluck starts. After we get all the food ready to serve, I step out of the church kitchen and find a quiet place or sit in my car to eat my food. Then I get a drink and join friends and family who have their plates filled and are eating their food. It is about the fellowship NOT the food. This is where the saying "Food in one hand, life in the other hand, don't clap" really helped me. In the many weeks I have been doing this, only a few people have asked why I'm not eating. I just tell them I already ate. A couple of people have asked why I eat before the potluck and I told them I don't eat sugar or flour so it is easier to just eat my food. At this point, 100% of the people have started talking about how they wish they would give up sugar and how bad it is for the body. I just listen to them talk about their wishes and smile encouragingly.
** Picnic - Easy. I have an insulated bag that is easy to carry and holds my food and drinks. I use this insulated bag several times a week. I pack food that doesn't need to be warmed up. I freeze bottles 1/2 full of liquid then I fill the rest of the bottle before packing it. These bottles of 1/2 frozen liquid keep the food cold and are my drinks for the picnic.

This probably seems too detailed and hard. But it is in the already-decided-action-plan that I am finding freedom and joy with eating out. Give me 3 minutes and I can have my next meal packed and ready to go.

Saying all this......I am wondering how well I will do next week when we are traveling 5 days back-to-back. DH and DS9 will be eating out 100% of the time. I will be out of my comfort zone and eating my food plan for 20 meals (3 meals & a snack X 5 days). I know it can be done, but I have no experience eating this way while traveling. It will be a challenge to learn, but one that I am looking forward to.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:35 pm

LadyMaverick, you have come up with some wonderful strategies for staying on your food plan. I loved what you said about it being about the fellowship and not about the food. I'm sure you will be creative in your choices while on your trip.
I now weigh four pounds less than my original goal weight. If I lose two more pounds, I will weigh what I weighed before getting pregnant with our first child (many years ago).
The best thing, though, is not having that nagging feeling of needing to lose weight. It's been very freeing in lots of ways.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 pm

RunKitty, that's wonderful that your scale is not so interesting to you any more. (smile) Or such a big deal, I mean!

HRH's girlcousin and I laughed recently about the old online advice we'd both read years ago for what to do with the scale (take to driveway, set down, drive up and down until it's broken, say "oh, my", then trash and don't repurchase!). Notice I'm saying we laughed remembering it - both of us said we certainly didn't DO it.

Lynlee, I asked a fellow who may or may not have been the manager, and he rummaged to rear of a shelf of Bob's Red Mill and found the exact cereal package you showed! And it was well within date. It was because I said to him that I knew I had seen a package with a man's photo on it, yet we weren't seeing that along his (very neat and flush) shelving. This rang a bell with him and he said that was weird, because he'd seen that man, too. Hmmm... ... where were they... ..rummage, rummage. :) So, thank you! Now I'm making nearly the exact same mix, but at a much more sensible cost from my own pantry, and as much as I choose, rather than the little packets. As usual, my additions are ground flaxseed and a serving's worth of berries/fruit. (Obviously, this is not a cheaper option unless a person is really going to use up the pantry items).

My (doubled) recipe to match the Super Seed Cereal convenience packets, coconut flavor

1/3 to 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
2 tsp ground flaxseed
2 tsp Red Mill buckwheat (with Bob's photo)
heaping tsp unsweetened coconut flaked
1 tsp hemp hearts
1/2 to 1 tsp ground chia seed

cook to oatmeal directions
let cool a little, stir (add warm water if too thick)
a couple drops monkfruit/stevia sweetener
stir in diced fruit and small berries

On my Daily Dozen checklist, this counts for 2 servings of whole grains, 1 serving berries, 1 serving nuts/seeds (coconut doesn't really count much but adds fiber and a fun look/aroma), and 1 serving flaxseed (fudging a little there, but close). That's all I need daily in those categories except whole grains, where I need one more. So since I'll have gotten 2 for water, that's 7 check marks out of 24 as I finish breakfast.

So now i'm content with my project ... ... and therefore probably will switch any time! :lol: If I try a buckwheat base for cereal rather than oat, who knows, may love it.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Harriet - I'm glad you found that buckwheat cereal so you can experiment to your hearts content. Lucky day.
7/24 as a breakfast score sounds about right. One meal of three?
My breakfast score is 6/20, or 7/20 if I can count the probiotics in the yoghurt. I could add sunflower seeds and pepita (pumpkin seeds) to add a couple more to that score.
I once heard someone on the radio talking about eating at least 20 different types of food a day to cover all the nutritional needs we have. I tend to have a heap of different veg with my cooked meal for the same reason.
(so not just eating a few things many times daily, as promoted diets/ convention often have a tendency to do)
eg - wheat in cereal, bread, sweets/cookies. Dairy milk as milk, cheese, yoghurt, icecream, and in all sorts of other products. sugar in 'most produced things. lets not count anything artificial as a food. Perhaps anything it is added to is no longer a food.
Sorry - I'm preaching to the converted.

Today I cut up a small pear and added that as fruit to my cereal saucepan. I cook my extras, excepting the goat milk and yoghurt, in with the cereal.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 pm

LadyM: there is not too much detail there.

I'm still concerned about restaurants that toss veggies in oil before serving or when grilling them since there's no way to measure how much oil. And your church is larger so stepping outside is fine. In our church with only 15 people, me being gone is really noticeable.

Ironically, the pizza served as part of the church board meeting is being served in the home of the woman who eats as you do. She sat down to a different meal while we ate the pizza. Since we are eating and working at the same time, stepping out is not an option. I could bring my own food, just as she has done, but that's problematic in a way (more mental on my part, since I don't think of cold food for supper as being a dinner, even if it is the right mix of calories, protein, carbs and fat.)

As for traveling - that is a HUGE minefield. Without diet soft drinks, I gained 8 pounds over the month in Australia. And that was with me assembling over 1/3 of the meals from whole foods (yogurt and fruit for breakfast, store-bought cooked chicken, salad and steamed veggies for dinner for example.) Part of that was the reliance on cheese as a go-to for low carb, portable protein. And lots and lots of nuts.

I have the 7 days in a row coming up May 12 - 18. The hotel doesn't even have a breakfast buffet (which I can sometimes manage successfully.) There will be a lot of Subway. If there's a microwave I'll use a lot of frozen dinners as well. None of those would be acceptable to you (sugar or wheat will be in all those offerings.)

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Kathryn, the WOE (way of eating) that I am following says you need some fat to feel satiated. Of course, I'm not losing weight but I think if I were eating according to their program I would.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:15 pm

I mowed and did yard work for my exercise today.

LM wtg on getting that plan lice what you said that you do for potlucks!

Return to “Healthy Habits”