Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Postby Harriet » Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 pm

LadyM, I'm grateful for your relief from that confusing scale number.

Harmony, these moments are being tempered (influenced, aggravated?) by your reaction to that shot - temporary. I'll be grateful for your relief from that, too. And then, to add "insult to injury" you had a snapshot number handed to you - remember that at another time that number will be different. It's in flux, and not engraved.

Simplification may be what I've always been looking for with a way of eating. I think that's what I was wanting at different times with various plans. Some were fine. But there would be mental frustration. I look back at intermittent fasting and am glad I learned it - there were proven health benefits. It just took a lot more brain time than I wanted to give, without nutrition focus. It got me into the habit of researching, though.

What's helped me with simplicity is learning who's out there living long, slim and healthy without the hospitals, and then emulating their diet. That takes some of the pressure off. It doesn't hurt that I recognize it as very similar to how my grandmothers ate when I was a kid - very garden focused. It makes me content to rely on comfort foods like potatoes, grains, yams, beans, and go ahead and eat enough to feel satisfied. I used to put butter on a lot of things, but rely more on condiments now. I watch HRH with his ketchup and think, he's certainly found an alternative he loves. Now that he doesn't have to worry about kidney stones, he uses lots of black pepper again, which is a favorite. He missed it so much back when he had to give it up. I put avocado in dressings and smoothies and have some nuts and seeds every day, and seem to feel pretty full.

I tried to find the quote/author/speaker who says (and I've heard it more than once, so of course I'm frustrated not to find it :roll: ) that each food we decide to eat is also a decision not to eat something else at that moment - and one or the other is a better choice. And so it's helpful, to think in terms of: what's your good choice in this moment. I think that's profound. Oh well, I'll find it later when i'm not looking.

About thyroid, almost forgot. My dr prescribes partly by just asking me questions about how I feel. Definitely does the blood work for hypothyroid, yes, but always wants to hear from me. Questions about my sleep, energy, how I feel about alertness. I always get the impression they would change it if I said certain things, independent of the numbers. I think they say they are keeping TSH around 1.5 (?) or at least under 2.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 21, 2018 4:57 pm

My TSH is 4.98 (ref. range 0.50000-5.0000) so maybe not so low. Or is this High? I forget how this all goes. My total T3 is 0.72 (ref. range 0.70-1.70).

Harriet, surprised they try to keep yours around 1.5 or 2.

T4, Free mine is 0.98 (ref. range 0.82-1.74).

I guess as long as I'm somewhere within their ranges she thinks everything is okey-dokey. Never mind how I feel or this weight loss dilema.

The one that has me concerned is glucose, 106 (70-100). Inching up. Blek! I haven't had any added sugar in anything since I heard and lots less carbs. Trying to get exercise in. Back tire of my bike wouldn't hold air, DH went and got a heavy duty inner tube and installed. We biked and I forced myself to keep it in #2 gear (harder pumping for legs) and I walked for 45 min. today. I'm down a few pounds already. Eating more fats and less carbs but I'm still hungry. It's not easy.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 21, 2018 6:37 pm

On my walk this morning I was wearing a new pair of jean shorts that are 4 sizes smaller than I wore last summer. When I bought these new shorts last week (at Sams) I wondered if they would fit. I briefly thought about buying a smaller size but immediately told myself there is no chance of me needing that small of a size. When I got home from Sams and tried the new shorts on they fit okay so I took the tags off. This morning those brand new shorts slide down my hips while I was walking! ARGh!! this is good and bad. I'm going to take some darts in them and keep wearing them. But I also am buying a smaller size. EeeK! I can't remember when I wore that small of a size. It feels almost like I am buying clothes for someone else. My head hasn't accepted that I wear that size.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Harmony - I wonder what you ate the night before your blood work? If I eat popcorn it will mess my blood sugar up for hours. I know this isn't normal for everyone, but I've learned it is my body normal reaction to such a high carb food.

I just looked at my last TSH test result and it was 1.9 with the normal range showing to be 0.27 - 4.20
My Dad had to take daily thyroid medicine all his life. I have wondered if I would too but so far it seems to be okay.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 pm

LadyM, terrific problem! Happy for you. I have gotten so good at "taking a dart". Even with those that have some elastic I can usually find an area that allows rather easy sewing. I am aware that for me, some of this may be because garments stretch out over time, and also that I may at times purchase without much belief in the size "down", convinced I'll need the size "up".

Harmony, that TSH range doesn't match the one they give me. On mine, normal range goes from .4 to 3.9 TSH. At 4 TSH it's "mild hypothyroidism" and 2.5 there is a note "at risk". Do check that out yourself, of course. It was a gynecologist who prescribed for me first, but general practitioner agreed with the plan and had wanted me to.

Harmony, if they haven't started doing an A1C test on you they're not worried about high blood sugar. If all they do is the one-time this-morning blood test, you haven't even been noticed. One thing for sure - every morning would be a different number. it bobbles all around. It can change in minutes.

Happy to hear about Kathryn's dd.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue May 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Twins, I think I had a couple pretzels (the curly regular ones - was craving salt as usual) probably about 9:00 pm and I didn't have my bloodwork done until the next morning about 10:00 or a bit later.

Funny thing was I went home right afternoon to pick up some stuff, back out to bank and supermarket and wasn't home till close to noon and at that time was having a low blood sugar and I was bingey all day long.

Dr. doesn't agree with me about the low b sugar because I've never been tested, but I sure know what that feels like.

Looking at all my labwork from back, appears I used to be in the mid 80's but began to creep up in the 90's but this time it is 106 (70-100). Appears my BP is also going up, which is 126/82 which she has marked on my office report as elevated bp without diagnosis of hypertension. That also used to be lower.

I got back into my office reports / labs for the past couple years and I can just see this stuff go the wrong way. I get my blood draws every 6 months.

What she called the BS thing is "impaired fasting glycaemia." So not the dreaded diagnosis yet but enough to make me shudder.

LadyM, such a good report you gave. I'd love if my clothes were falling off of me. I have a 2nd section in my closet (the back) with all the clothes that are too tight on me or I don't like how they look at this weight.
Last edited by Harmony on Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Gardening is my exercise for the most part thiz week. I am catching up from not so much gardening the last 2 yrs. My staminia is better yea!

Compared to the queen I am young!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Nancy, you are just young in general. Ask anybody. ;)

I'm still in denial, Harmony. Here's my argument. I do see that in considering blood sugar below range of Type 2 diagnosis, the range above 100 can (now) be called impaired fasting glycaemia. But that's only IF the numbers are CONSISTENTLY above 100. That tells me that one day's test isn't enough to discuss a new diagnosis, and one number may not mean much of anything. I don't like you feeling you have to take up a whole new set of worries about A number without a more serious reason than this.

Side note - if i were Asian or black, I'd be irritated at the "risk factors" that say just being of these races increases risk. Whaaaaat? Excuse me, the rates of Type 2 diabetes in Asia and Africa are so historically
invisible, it should make the rest of the world WISH. What these statements should say is that being black or Asian and unfortunate enough to be eating the standard western diet increases risk.

Surprised to come up with a perfect day of healthy habits check marks for yesterday.

Breakfast - "the usual bowl" :)
Lunch - pineapple fried rice with tofu
Supper - huge variety salad garnished with raw corn
Snack - a piece of "mochi" rice-and-icecream from dd19 :roll:
ttapp exercise

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 pm

I mowed the front took a rest break then mowed the back I need to water in back. That was my exercise today, yesterday I dug weeds out and walked w tbe dog for my exercise.

Return to “Healthy Habits”