Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
RunKitty

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Postby RunKitty » Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Oh, ((Harmony)), I wish you could find a different doctor. Advising an 800 calorie diet is completely irresponsible on her part. Even if her advice wasn't actually dangerous to your health, she never seems to encourage you in any way. You never feel better having seen her. That is unacceptable!
I never count calories, but even I know that 800 is way too low. Even at 1200 you would have to be careful to choose highly nutritious foods to have a healthy diet. There would be no room for empty calories.
I wish you the best. You truly deserve it.
And..........today I have officially lost all the baby weight. I weigh what I did when I got pregnant with our first child. Never thought it would happen. I'm six pounds under my original goal weight. It feels great. I encourage everyone to keep trying to add more nutrient dense foods, get some exercise, and really go for it. It's totally worth it!!! 8-)

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Yes, Harmony, I think that is too low. And you are active a lot of days because you do far more housekeeping than I would ever do, even if I didn't have a cleaning lady.

I'd encourage you to look at what I'm doing, which is not low low carb, but "slow" carbs. Balanced, healthy meals with no sugar or flour. Specifically it's called "Always Hungry?" which I think is an unfortunate name but you really don't get hungry on this way of eating. I haven't had a lot of success, but OTOH my compliance isn't great. And it talks about eating to only 80% full and eating protein, healthy fats and slow carbs.

I'm glad you and the doc actually talked some today but I do think 800 calories is scary low.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 pm

I am eating less than 1200 calories. I have watched another longtime SHE track her food on MFP for the past couple of years and she is almost always under 1200 calories and frequently under 1000. She isn't losing weight. This is what she eats to maintain her weight.

Years ago we were told by medical people that smoking was good for us. I do wonder if someday we will learn that the rule of not going below 1200 calories is also a bunch of malarky.

I do think that eating fewer calories means that it is more important that every calorie serves a purpose. Everything we eat needs to have a nutritious purpose.

Harmony - I am thrilled that many of your blood test results are in or near normal range now. That is a huge accomplishment!

RunKitty- that is FANTASTIC!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

IDK what is up with my weight gain. Logically it isn't possible to gain weight like that. Logically if I am eating under 1200 calories then it has to be all water weight. Logically. All I know is it proves there is nothing about stress that is logical.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Dr. wasn't telling me to go to 800 calories. What she was saying was 1200 is too much and others my size have to go way below to lose weight. I wonder what stress does to me. I sure have enough of that. But based on what she said, I don't think she'd be dismayed if I did go down that low to lose some weight.

2 years ago I was down in the 140's. I can't seem to get back to that. I had looked into all my logs and saw what happened when I started going back up. We'd just had the grandkids here for a week and had done all that fence work. I was cooking nice meals for them as a reward for doing so much work for us...and I couldn't keep up on special little things for me. I totally lost focus after they went home and couldn't get back to what I was doing.

I take care of too many things and don't have the time or energy to take care of me. I get so worn out I can't focus on me. But now it's really important. Right now I'm hungry and have no idea what I'll eat.

My numbers are ok except now I've got sugar to watch. I'm just in tears over that. I absolutely can't deal with something like that in my life. I already have the thyroid, my weight, my seizure disorder, acid reflux which drives me crazy, my teeth which are a problem, cataracts growing.....and really I have no time to put into any more tracking, testing, cooking, and let's not talk about adding exercise. I'm just worn out as it is.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri May 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks, LadyM. And you made a very good point regarding the low calorie diets needing to have every calorie serve a true nutritional purpose. That is probably why super low calorie was not recommended except under supervision. Since the typical North American diet is not nutritionally sound, that makes sense. Weight loss is not merely a matter of calories in and calories out, however. Metabolism plays a big part in the equation. At some point, a low calorie diet prompts the body to slow metabolism and to store fat since that is its attempt to prevent starvation. Interesting ideas to think about. Glad I found what works for me. As you have found, stress wreaks havoc on weight loss as well as on our general health. Wishing you lots of stress free days ahead.
Wishing the same for you, Harmony--less stress and more joy in your life. I'm so sorry all this is piling up on you. Not fair at all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat May 19, 2018 6:03 am

Well mowing the front yd last night after dinner was great for my bs # this morning.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 pm

I looked up the plan Twins is doing last night and began to understand and make decisions then I came across a site with all scientific information. Stuff about what insulin in one's body really does, despite what we have heard. Lots of examples of Japan, other places where they do eat a lot of carbs, etc. and a lot of scientific stuff that took a long while to slog through.

All I do know is I was doing low fat for a very long time because of the cholesterol thing... and there's not much satiety in that so I was always hungry and the only thing left mostly was carbs. Switching it up now a bit to see how that goes. I won't know for a long while what that does to my cholesterol. I was just getting a handle on all that.

I do wish they'd figure this stuff out definitely, women's hormones, weight and cholesterol. This generation - we're the guinea pigs.

Felt lousy today. I'd gotten a booster for the pneumonia shot I'd gotten a few years back and my arm is super sore, can't lift it very much, and I feel like I have the flu.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun May 20, 2018 8:07 am

we're the guinea pigs.

Harmony - I agree!

No one knows our bodies better than we do. What works for one person doesn't seem to work as well for another person.

The scales show most of the weight flash gained is gone. I am within 1/2 lb of my weight from last Sunday.

The logical side of me is thankful for having such good records that I KNOW this happened to my body twice. I didn't dream it or make it up. Maybe in the next generation, the medical research will document it happening in others. I personally think stress is physically harder on the body than the medical community recognizes.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun May 20, 2018 1:17 pm

I have to agree we are guinea pigs. There is so much they don't know about weight loss/gain and the effects of foods and stress on our health. I haven't lost much weight, maybe 5 lbs in the last year? but sugar is not high on my list now, and I'm paying more attention to how I feel when I eat. Last night there was ice cream with toppings and I didn't have to ignore it, it just didn't even register. There was wrapped candy on tables and in centerpieces and it wasn't on my radar at all. I ate at least four of the little cheesecake squares I made (they were sliced very small) and felt lousy. There were other desserts that also didn't register. I skipped garlic bread, except for a bite. It was delicious but eh, I didn't have more.

On paper, I feel like I should be losing weight. I don't do fast food anymore, I don't drink soft drinks at all. I know I need more exercise.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 pm

I walked at the mall for my exercise yesterday.
Today I walked the ddog & did some gardening, and yard work. Did arm work out with rocks for weights. Raking and shoveling.

Return to “Healthy Habits”