Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Postby Harriet » Tue May 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Last month several of us had our planning on our minds :idea: medical appts, shape-up dreams, determination to wrestle those pesky health-marker-numbers into place. How are YOU doing on your plans? Do you need a jump-start? We hope to be your best cheerleaders. *\o/*

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2018

Postby Nancy » Tue May 01, 2018 4:27 pm

I have done yard work for my exercise today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm struggling on the treadmill. I should be outside walking -- it is gorgeous weather and aside from a moment on the balcony I haven't left the building today.

My calorie count was quite low today low enough that I've been over my tracking twice trying to figure out what I forgot. I'll have to eat something tonight before bed to make 1200 calories. I'm wondering if that has something to do with my struggling to keep my speed up high enough on the treadmill. The music isn't motivating me.

I've been unwell somehow for 4+ days now. I can't put my finger on it but I'd say I'm at 65% (with completely healthy at 100 and hepatitis or pancreatitis at 0.) It was digestive after my feet failed me (and step count dropped to under 3K) then today it was a headache and now a burning rash on the back of my neck. Weird stuff as if my body is sending out distress signals to get my attention. I'm still getting stuff done (so it is like pushing through a cold) but everything is hard for me to do and aside from when I was preaching, I've been in pain or discomfort. I noted I had no pain at that time. Weird but points to extreme stress.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am

I have decided to give CBD oil a try with DS9. I am erroring on the side of caution and starting him at 1/3 dose (5 drops on his tongue). I plan to increase 2 drops a day until at full dose or any unpleasant side effects show up. Last night he fell asleep within 30 minutes of me giving him a dose. He slept almost 12 hours! This is a positive because DS9 does not sleep well (sleepwalks and wakes up frequently) DS9 tics are in full force but I think his facial tics seem to be less yesterday. It is a challenge to ignore the tics but still to remain aware of them happening hundreds of times a day.

DS9 is doing amazing with no sugar effort. Without any reminding, he checks the ingredients on everything and puts it down if it has sugar or food dye. DS9 is doing diet drinks though. That is at DH prompting. Pick your battles and having DS9 give up non-sugar sweeteners is not one that I'm picking........for now.

DH is now the only person that eats sugar in our home. Yeah. Mr Diabetic is a sugar addict.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 am

I went on vacation and LOST WEIGHT!! I was so happy when I stepped onto the scales this morning. I don't think I have ever traveled and lost weight. It is usually a HUGE gain each time I get out of my daily routine.

Now, I need to put my focus on building a daily exercise habit.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat May 05, 2018 12:41 pm

That's fantastic, LadyM. Big WTG!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:39 pm

I unloaded the trailer of branches and walked a couple of blocks too, and a bit of weeding, moved the swingset for my exercise today.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun May 06, 2018 6:46 pm

LadyM ... congrats. Same thing happened to me when I went on no sugar and spent a week at the beach. Food prep was one of the reasons I like to stay in condos. Carried much of my food when I went on my last road trip. Just takes time to prep before the trip and a commitment to stay the course.

As you know I’ve changed the way I’ve been eating because of my acid reflux. Started doing Harriet’s green smoothies in the morning and some for lunch. Sweetie has been doing it too. I had to adjust his because he lost weight which isn’t good for him. Me, I just stayed abt the same. However I like the way I’m feeling and so does my stomach, most of th time.

Tomorrow I am taking it up a notch... I discovered a book with a eating plan that is called... 10-Day green smoothie cleanse by JJ Smith. It mirrors much of what I am already doing but instead of two smoothies a day it suggests 3. You can also do a two shake wth a protein dinner.

However it suggest that I increase my AC vinegar to twice a day. The AC helps to detox your liver. I belong to several other health sites one being a diabetic 2 that focuses on sugar. I joined this group in hopes of helping my migraines. They are a wealth of information on how certain organs do certain things and it is through them that I am learning more about my liver’s functions. That’s why I am willing to hid my nose and down a second cup of water and vinegar

Anyway I have preprepped for tomorrow with fruits cut up waiting to be mixed with spin h and water. I don’t think I would have considered doing any of this before my stomach went haywire. But like LadyM this program makes sense to me and addresses my health issues. I’m anxious to see if I can hold to the course, but the Facebook community for this program has been so welcoming and supportive that I am willing to give it a try.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 07, 2018 12:03 am

I walked the dog today for my exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Ramblin', your post got me looking up ACV and learning some of the mechanisms of how it may affect us, and history and such. As you probably already know, I see mostly happy thoughts, although several voices saying don't forget dilution before drinking, plus rinse the mouth afterward (as for any acid food) to stave off tooth erosion. i think LadyM knows some things about ACV. Got a little bogged down in Phi zer's horrible trek into creating a drug with similar mechanism on liver (rezulin), that ended up shutting down people's livers and killing them. They still racked up a $billion profit after they dealt with the lawsuits. What is wrong with that picture? Did anyone ever counsel those patients, "have you tried your produce section, fruits, vinegars, natural directions that haven't hurt people" - ugh. My pet peeve.

Oh well, only meant to tell you I still like Dr. Fuhrman's Eat Your Greens smoothie, too, which I think is online many places. He actually had more than one of those recipes that others tended to call "eat your greens" because they liked the name. I don't think he named all of them the same thing, but, anyway, they're all good. I do tend to "bolt" them down if I don't seat myself, and I know I should slow down. Of course, I'm probably going to do that once, and then a starch with a meal later, to keep the hungries away.

Have you seen the new phenomenon of smoothie bowls? Some people buy wide wooden bowls specifically for this so that they can have a very cold food but hold it in their hands comfortably or set it on a table without making a ring on furniture. They put the bowl itself in the fridge ahead of time for the sake of keeping the eventual food that will go into it cool, although the surface will be wide. This allows thicker smoothies that will hold on the surface various sprinkling and garnishing over the top. I haven't gotten into it myself but I see the attraction of variety in serving, and sitting down to more of a "plate"-looking meal. It would also slow down the eating of the smoothie meal, which is wise.

I do see a pitfall of way too much creativity and perfectionism, because these can become quite artistic palettes, of course (another reason for wooden bowls to "frame"), and lead one down the pretty-rather-than-healthy path, lol! As a friend said to me as we decided against some perfectionistic time-consumers for our luncheon, "I would be subject to that!" :) IF... IF it would lead to enjoyment of healthful meals, however, it would be valuable.

Return to “Healthy Habits”