Health and Fitness, June 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2018

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:46 pm

I wonder if the mustard works because it has so much sodium in it?

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Harmony... my yellow mustard only has 55mgs of sodium per teaspoon.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:45 am

New England Journal of Medicine has retracted the 2013 publication of Spanish reseachers' study called a "landmark", that said their specific application of the Mediterranean Diet had had a "causal" (cause-and-effect) relationship with reduction of cardiovascular disease. There had been a lot of criticism over the ensuing 4 to 5 years anyway, mostly because olive-oil companies turned out to be the main funders of the study and because the supposedly "low fat" control group turned out to have been prescribed much more fat than the 15 percent usually assumed for other studies - almost 30-percent.

But the straw that broke the camel's back for the NEJM was the discovery that the all-important random assignment wasn't true, with family members accepted to same groups for convenience, and whole villages assigned to same groups for the convenience of researchers. The researchers will be allowed to publish again, but must say they found "correlation", not a cause-an-effect relationship. NEJM says they will publish it for the sake of transparency. But the new paper turns out to have such slim evidence that it wouldn't have made NEJM's cut for publication in the first place.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 pm

I walked the long walk with the dog Fri.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:19 am

Harriet, so if I read that correctly, they now assume the Mediterranean diet does not always mean a reduction in cardiovascular problems? Hmmm. Now I'm questioning, should I always reach for the Olive Oil if I'm using an oil for something? It's the only oil I use now.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:54 am

Harriet - Thank you for bringing this up. It prompted me to do some reading on the study. In particular, the type of oil used in the study.....olive oil or mixed nuts. When I read the studies are funded by the olive oil people it makes me read the results even closer. What I think that I am finding (and I could be wrong!!!) are the results are about the same using olive oil or nuts.
The two intervention arms were supplemented, free of cost, with one liter of EVOO weekly or 30 grams of mixed nuts daily.

But what really caught my attention is both the olive oil and the mixed nut groups increased their consumption of MIXED NUTS during the study. The group that did the best increased their consumption of mixed nuts. Why is that detail seemily buried in the report?
Over the five years, predictably, the EVOO group had an increase in consumption of EVOO (and, interestingly, mixed nuts) and the mixed nuts group showed an increase in mixed nuts consumption

Give me a choice between olive oil or mixed nuts and it is a no-brainer for me. I'm going with mixed nuts simply because they taste better (IMHO).
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:39 am

True, LadyM - and they can have crunch! Comparing an oil to nuts seems odd, except in the sense of comparing their fats. Nuts have nutrients and fiber to offer since they are the whole food. They surprisingly don't cause weight gain like oils, although that probably doesn't give us the green light to load up on them, lol. They boost our bodies' ability to take up fat-soluble carotenoids from greens, so that the greens we eat with a bit of nuts are even better for us. A study a year earlier than that one, also done in Spain ("Crossover Study" by Damasceno), had 3 groups replace regular oil with either EVOO, walnuts or almonds. Cholesterol was lowered better with nuts than with olive oil. Btw, between walnuts and almonds, walnuts did a little better on total chol. and almonds a little better on LDL. It took a month for the nuts group to lower chol by about 7 percent. I don't think they charted exactly how much each group ate of nuts - just that they replaced.

Harmony, Extra Virgin Olive Oil is better to reach for than the vegetable oils and better than butter and other saturated fats. It doesn't cause as much of a spike in inflammation as even regular olive oil, maybe because it somehow still retains a bit of the phytonutrients of the olive. I haven't seen a study directly comparing EVOO to coconut oil for heart health. Coconut oil has a different benefit in its digestion, but I don't know how much that would matter for cardio issues.

A Mediterranean diet is way ahead of "standard western diet", of course. But I think the olive oil's claim to fame in it, is probably going to rest in how well it goes along with the Med diet's vegetables/beans, whole grains and balsamic vinegar, rather than its own benefits. If it has historically gotten people to eat more of those, that's something that deserves our attention.

I want to do more of whirring some walnuts, for instance, into salad dressings in the bullet and having them ready. But when I'm in a hurry I sprinkle some chopped nuts over a big salad and call it done, with just a little of some prepared dressing. It can be a totally unhealthy one sometimes - more than once I have used part of a Chick-Fil-A sauce mini-tub. Now, that can't be right. lol. i don't think I'll look up that nutritional profile.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:48 pm

Like veg in my omlette, and low sodium v-8 type drinks in the morning.

Today we logged for our exercise got the old apple tree down cut up and branches loaded in the trailer. Picked up most of the apples for the hens put them in the run.

Return to “Healthy Habits”