Health and Fitness, June 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2018

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm

I had to back of from my smoothies as the sugar in the fruit was spiking my BS. I test every morning when I get ups and sometimes an hour after my meals to see if something is spiking it. My BS runs better 84-95 most days, but most of the time it hovers around 88. This morning it was 91.

I started doing this because of my CH.. cluster headaches... because there is some evidence that sugar can effect migraines. Doesn’t seem it does anything for me, but I have discovered my
CH meds may increase my BS. Many times I have tested my BS during the onset of CH and I am still in my normal range. I don’t eat while having a migraine, but my BS does rise some which makes me think it has something to do with the meds interacting with my body.

I am back to doing my low carbs like Harmony and it seems that’s what my body likes best.potaotes age too many carbs for me and high carb foods always send my body out of control and craving more.

I bought my meter kit at Wally World and it encluded evrything I needed. You can also buy from Amazon.

I belong to a type two diabetic site that Emptynester suggested a while ago. They are hell bent on wheels to keep their members eating below 20 carbs a day because of how their disease attacks their organs. Very interesting stuff with people who are extremely knowledgeable.

Anyway I’m in a CH cycle which was set off by high temps and intense sunlight. We’re at 112 today. When I have to go out I wear double no glare sun glasses and a wide brim hat. Can’t get my usual shots cause I can only get them every three months. So I am pretty much house bond. However Sweetie has had his cataract surgery so I’ve had to drive him to his appointments. Sometimes I can’t avoid not running errands so it’s always a gamble.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 am

I am struggling big time again. I can't seem to find my groove and keep it. My hunt for CONSISTENCY continues to elude me. I guess I can say that I am consistent in not being consistent? >>>groan<<<

My first and only sponsor had a personal crisis in her family and has stepped away from sponsoring at this time. This leaves me with a choice - do I seek another sponsor or not?

Do I want to continue with the OA program?

I do enjoy eating this way. It is the only thing that has helped my insane desire to binge eat with an added benefit of losing some weight. So I have no desire to return to eating sugar, flour, and my trigger foods. That is a slippery slope that I have proven over and over to be a failure at controlling.

Although I do miss DH "treating" me by bringing me a diet drink each day. I miss the act of love more than the drink itself. I don't want to give that daily joyous moment up on a permanent basis. So after 3 months of telling DH no thank you, I have decided to return to having that diet drink delivered to me.

I know that I don't want to return to counting calories, carbs or points. Counting those do give me some knowledge and I will probably continue to count them occasionally, but it is too tedious for me to do it CONSISTENTLY on a daily basis. I have learned (am learning) how to eat healthy with minimum effort. I like my food to be simple, easy, healthy and tasty.

So I am unsure where this leaves me. I am without a sponsor and making a choice to only do the part of the OA program that brings me the results I want. I feel like I have one foot in and one foot out of the OA program. Logic tells me I can't have it both ways.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am

LadyM... I go through periods like that. Stress with my mother last summer and my sub assignment knocked me off course with an “I don’t give a flip” attitude and allowed myself to emotionally eat things I usually don’t eat like cookies and ice cream.

Took me a while to recover from that thinking and I had to easy myself back to my normal way of eating.

I spent a lot of time thinking back to my childhood and how behaviors back then have influenced my eating. I was denied so much occasional fun foods, with both my mother and father controlling and shamimg me that out did what most kids do... I rebelled and eat “on the run” so to speak. I ate fast and shoveled in the food so no one would see me. I ate cause I was unhappy at home, so in someways even in my younger years food became my drug. And because I was so physically active, riding my bike every, swimming and playing with the boys, the added treats had little effects but the habit was formed.

Back to eating low carbs has been a blessing for me. After several weeks I am no longer eating after dinner. However if a sweet attack does occur I can kill it with just a spoonful of peanut butter. Before I stayed away from fats, but learning how health fats keeps you feeling full and not crave more has really work for me. Now I eat fats with every meal ...mayo, avocado, bacon... things like that.

I knew I had lost weight but didn’t want to keep getting on the scales every day. It can trigger me if I eat well and don’t see results, but I got curious today.

Happy and glad I did. I’m down 14.75 lbs since the middle of April. Don’t think I’ll get back on it for a while and just continue doing what I’m doing cause it works.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 am

LadyM... I go through periods like that. Stress with my mother last summer and my sub assignment knocked me off course with an “I don’t give a flip” attitude and allowed myself to emotionally eat things I usually don’t eat like cookies and ice cream.

Took me a while to recover from that thinking and I had to easy myself back to my normal way of eating.

I spent a lot of time thinking back to my childhood and how behaviors back then have influenced my eating. I was denied so much occasional fun foods, with both my mother and father controlling and shamimg me that out did what most kids do... I rebelled and eat “on the run” so to speak. I ate fast and shoveled in the food so no one would see me. I ate cause I was unhappy at home, so in someways even in my younger years food became my drug. And because I was so physically active, riding my bike every, swimming and playing with the boys, the added treats had little effects but the habit was formed.

Back to eating low carbs has been a blessing for me. After several weeks I am no longer eating after dinner. However if a sweet attack does occur I can kill it with just a spoonful of peanut butter. Before I stayed away from fats, but learning how health fats keeps you feeling full and not crave more has really work for me. Now I eat fats with every meal ...mayo, avocado, bacon... things like that.

I knew I had lost weight but didn’t want to keep getting on the scales every day. It can trigger me if I eat well and don’t see results, but I got curious today.

Happy and glad I did. I’m down 14.75 lbs since the middle of April. Don’t think I’ll get back on it for a while and just continue doing what I’m doing cause it works.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

Sorry abt the double post..feel free to delete one

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:38 am

I had a slice of key lime pie. :o It was the smallest one I could get out of the tin. The next day I was up a pound and my overall calories were still way down that day and the day before. Something had happened that was stressful and I'd completely lost my appetite. So definitely carbs are a thing for me.

Noticed with the low carb thing: my ankles rarely swell anymore. Course I am not sure I'm getting as much sodium as I used to. That might be bad for my sodium count. I don't know how all this is affecting BP, BS, sodium levels and it appears chloride now as well, and my cholesterol numbers. It will be a while till I find that out.

RRose, that's approx 7 lbs a month, very very good!

LadyM, since you seem pretty set on how you're eating, I'd ask myself if the OE is helping with the mental thought processes that keep you on track. You could always try it without and go back if you sense a problem.

I find tracking calories tiresome. I wish I didn't have to do it. But for me it doesn't work if I don't do that. Right now I'm sitting around a lot with my hand so I have time to do this. Usually it is a chore.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Thxs Harmony...key lime pie sounds great. Think I’ll take 2 ozs of cream cheese and mix it with some fresh lime and a tad bit of stevia. That would work and will have it for Dessert :D

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Took out the cream cheese but decided to use just one ounce... think it will make enough for two nights of “fat bombs”

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Walk done w dd & kidN.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi LM
Some alternative you could consider
going back to OA newbie post page to post diet/plans.
Brainstorming with DH different 'love treat' he could bring to you.
ice tea w/o sweetener, soda stream /water with piece/ slice of fruit for flavour, ?
- Maybe a jug of whatever in the fridge would make this simple.

For me - I try to avoid sweeteners as they awaken my tastebuds to the taste of sweet.
And 'incursion' with sugar/allergens has effects that ricochet through following days/ weeks.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”