Health and Fitness, July, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, July, 2018

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:02 pm

There is plenty of time to impress yourself! :idea:

It's The Half-Point of the Year, 2018 !! :shock: Yes, there is reason to like this calendar moment each year, because if we haven't gotten what we wanted from New Years Goals, here's another perfectly good, very valid, starting place. ;) And if there are some things that have been going right, we can see how to build on them.

If anybody's interested in goals that are calendar-oriented, here's a quick review of how many weeks we have to effect change before some meaningful shared dates when we might want to look our best or have renewed energy.
Plug in your own personal dates to ponder, too!

Until Labor Day picnics – 9 weeks
Until Thanksgiving invitations – 21 weeks
Until the most likely Sat. party date in mid-Dec – 24 weeks
Until we ring in 2019 – 26 weeks

Whether you choose to see how many straight weeks you can keep up a healthy habit, or aim for a particular number goal (weight, health-marker, inch or mile) by a certain date, there is plenty of time to impress yourself! Pick out a favorite record-keeping method and have fun with it. Writing down “where we are” at memorable times of the year helps keep us on track long-term.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2018

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:52 am

Today Mon. I got 30 min. Exercise cleaning up the back yard in the a m , after lunch I had a windy walk with the ddog.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 pm

I've always been so bad about getting back on program once I slip off. I got off target when DD & grands were here, though I did try and wasn't as bad as I could have been. Anyway, I didn't gain and am stuck in the 150s. Not losing so I need to get back on track. Did ok today.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 pm

I put 5.1 miles on my glider last night while talking to my mom. It was a long conversation and I just let her talk and talk and talk.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Yard work has been my excersize lately.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Trying vegetables for early breakfast is going okay. I'm getting better at it. This was a tip from the book "Unprocessed"; a way to insure you get in servings of the things you probably get to the end of most days and wish you could say you'd eaten. But by then, they don't seem tasty.

The idea is that you get in a pound of simple non-starchy vegetables first thing in the morning before you eat anything that can start you craving or expecting more sweet/salty/heavy things. Very like my theory of at least a pint of water before you eat or drink anything that is going to "spoil" you. Or the theory of doing exercise early before other activities can change your mind.

Instant pot is working for me on this - broccoli and red onion with a few carrots sliced in has been very nice, using its rack, 2 minute timing and releasing pressure right away. Zucchini can work when steamed, but instant pot makes it lose texture. A little salt-free seasoning is all the veggies need at that hour of the morning when taste buds are easily amused.

Whenever you then realize you've gotten hungry again, you eat again; you don't have to worry if it's too soon. The stretch receptors of the stomach have registered with the brain that you've had a filling meal once today, and all your cells are busy putting the good stuff to use, so you don't need to have anxiety over whether you're being "good".

Found bitter melon at the Asian grocery. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it - I just remember that the Blue Zones guy from National Geographic was so impressed with the health of those who ate it. lol! Adventure eating! I think you add it to soups or even to smoothies but need to put in some honey. We'll see.

Also they had big beautiful dragon fruits. Yay. They had a sign that explained that they are the white-fruited ones. I really appreciated that, since I am on the lookout for the red-fruited ones. That makes me believe that if they do get any in, they'll let customers know, and I can feel confident buying several.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Got my labs back a1c is down one full point yea me! Other #s in normal range. Good dr. Report.

Today's exercise has been yard clean up and loading stuff to be hauled off.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Nancy - Woo Hoo! You are such a good consistent walker - I bet that's a lot of it.

Correction to my "method" for Instant Pot non-starchy veggies - one minute, not two, results in better texture. This way, I can include summer squash wedges with their skin-side down, on the rack, too. Also have learned that greens laid over the carrots will allow small bits of veggies or rings of onion, etc., to still lie on top of the rack and be steamed rather than boiled. Hoping to try roasted also, but will admit that the heat of the summer doesn't lend itself to that idea... hmmm. Maybe the air-fryer ...? Will have to look that up.

Tobias nags me for his "cut" of the veggies every morning. I put in a little broccoli for him since I know that's what he loves. I think he equates it with munching grass, which is something cats do for tummy health.

Dragon fruit report - the one I'd found at a grocery was SO bland. It was like, where's my delicious flavor that I know I remember from last year?!? So I actually gave up on it and threw half away - it was that bland, and the chickens didn't recognize it as fruit. :? But I cut into the one from the Asian market this morning and wow! Just a wonderful tartness and flavor. I used the small-size melon baller to ball one-half this morning and then scoop away all traces of the white pulp (yummy in my oatmeal fruits), leaving just that hot-pink oval "bowl". Put the little balls into it to serve. fun!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 pm

That's a wonderful report, Nancy. Yes, yay you!!

Sasha, our cat, congratulates Tobias on his successful nagging for vegetables. She received a fresh batch of wheat grass this afternoon. She is an excellent nag herself.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

I rested yesterday.

Today I walked ddog plus worked on pruning roses by the west gate. 2 hrs. On it, done w the cutting part, not need to round up the branches to get loaded up next round.

Return to “Healthy Habits”