Health and Fitness, July, 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2018

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:24 pm

I walked the ddog this afternoon. Glad it was not so hot.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Verdict on air fryer for veggie pieces - no.

There are youtube videos of people able to do that. HRH says they must have some magic setting on theirs, lol. For us, even by their directions, several of the veggies will just "toast" in 5 minutes and be inedible. Broccoli is my favorite, and it is lost in the air fryer - florets are scorched. Oh well, lots of other possibilities for preparing.

Found a thick berry-greens smoothie recipe I liked and then switched it up to include some ingredients I wanted instead. Gave me a great way to use some frozen Acai puree I'd bought. It's extremely tart, so adding a date helps to keep from puckering up like a lemon, lol. I didn't want just more banana - didn't want to taste much banana.

Cup of baby spinach or equivalent in variety greens
frozen Acai pouch, slightly thawed and broken up
3/4 Cup variety of berries/cherries
half a frozen banana, in pieces
one Medjool date, pitted
1/2 cup silken tofu
one cube ice
whir in blender

This needs a spoon or large-diameter straw, so I think it would be a fun choice for a "smoothie bowl", too, thick enough to hold pretty garnishes on the top. I never have gotten around to trying that... ..

Dsecondbil has been insistent that I try adding a tsp Maca powder to smoothies and see what I think. He is very happy with his, believing it helps with his energy during long hours on his feet as a grocery manager. I don't taste it at all. We'll see. Don't know how I'll be able to say this-or-that increases my energy, though. I'll probably think it was one thing when it was another. At the least I've honored his recommendation for something that has helped him, though.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 pm

YES! YES!! YES!!!

I am soooo very thankful to receive a wonderful report from the tests done today and last week. *****EXHALE****

I took DH to the appointment with me so I could have another set of ears in case the report wasn't good. It was also an opportunity to introduce DH to our small town new doctor. He travels here 2 days a week from his main office in the city. DH and I are both impressed with this doctor both in his manner and expertise. I think Harriet might give this doctor a "thumbs-up" because he is a vegan. :)

In April my tests gave me a preliminary diagnosis of Stage 3 Chronic kidney disease. Today my test results showed kidney function is in a normal range. Big relief. I have been VERY diligent about drinking my liquid every day. I measure & prepare it in the morning so there is no doubt how much I have left to drink.

All the test on my heart and arteries were well within the normal range. He went over each of the test and the results in detail. He said I should know my EF # is 57%. I didn't know what EF stood for so he explained it is Ejection Fraction and what it measures. He said I might be asked if I know what my EF # is if I go to the Emergency room. I don't think I have ever been asked my EF # but if I ever am asked then I have the answer. ;)

My lipid panel (cholesterol & triglyceride) continue to show improvement by the cholesterol dropping another 20 points. My triglycerides are still coming down and the numbers are now almost half of where I started. The doctor wants it to be lower still and says diet is the best way to improve these numbers. His recommendation is to take an Omega 3 supplement and eating a plant-based diet (no meat). This past month I started taking the Omega 3 supplement so I wonder if that might be what caused the 20 point drop. ANYWAY, I am thrilled to be headed in the right direction. The doctor is going to do another test next month on the bad cholesterol. I honestly didn't pay much attention to his explanation of this test because I was too excited about all the good results he had just given me. Something about the LDL being big or small and the danger of having small LDL? I'll take notes and ask questions when I have this test next month so I can understand it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Really really good news, LadyM. I'm happy for you.

I had to check out what EF is. That's the blood that comes out of the ventricals and I guess measures how good the heart is working. 57% is within good range. Yay, now I know something else!

Drum roll..... I lost 1 pound in this past month. Sheesh. I've been stuck but this little bit is good. Keepin' on trying.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 pm

EEEEKKK!

A couple weeks ago I was asked to speak to a group about my eating challenges and changes I have made. This is the second time they asked me to speak. The first time I begged off so this time I agreed to do it....then promptly forgot about it. I just received a text reminding me of the commitment. ***groan*** Why did I agree to do this? I am not a good speaker. I am not knowledgeable about health things. I can only tell about my experience and that isn't going to fill up the 30 minutes. I am sooooo not looking forward to this.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

LM say what you have and then do q & a.
:idea: I tell folks I no longer speak for free, it cut back so much on those requests!

I have walked the dog today while it was cool out back by eight a. m.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:36 am

Harmony, congrats on the scale! How's the healing going?

LadyM, Woo Hoo A big slap on the back for you! (Also speaking will be good - you can do it! ) But mainly I'm so happy to hear you have this good report on your kidney function - such a vital point of strength to bolster our long, happy lives. (in which we'd rather not spend much time with doctors!) I read out loud to HRH and he says to tell you Good Job, that's pretty much the prescription he's been given, too, also the attention to liquids. He was interested in how you phrased the part about the water drinking.

It's wonderful you've run into a physician who knows what he's talking about with kidney-protective diet - HRH hears the same thing but always from people who are saying, "Keep doing this because I read the literature that shows it would be good for you. How do you do it?", ;) not "let me give you my own experience/tips because I know from personal life". Yes, I'm very impressed with those who chose to be vegan - it might happen in my life someday. Takes a lot more intentional planning than I do. Italian meals mean the family expects cheeses, for instance.

I made my first smoothie bowl today, using blue powder (spirulina), and then granola sprinkled with the fruits over top, as shown in the luxe photos of these (look up blue or pink smoothie bowls so you won't think I've made this up - my goodness). Fun. I did the oatmeal kind rather than the completely smooth. Took a photo to send to the grandboys, who love to see what crazy thing Grandma ate today. Interestingly, even though many ingredients were exactly the same as my oatmeal breakfast he loves, Tobias wouldn't eat any, turned his nose up and walked away. Dd loved looking at it, but, handed a spoon, said, "I'm not touching that!" and went with Tobias.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 pm

I never came back in to say the children called to comment on my smoothie bowl. They basically said they would pick out the pretty fruit and eat that, but weren't so sure about the bowl of blue food, lol. also asked about the "bird's eggs" and I told them it was dragon eggs (dragonfruit balled with a melonballer) and little britches said please hatch some of those little dragons for him, they would be cute!

I have made one more smoothie bowl this month, a true smoothie type not an oatmeal, in red color from non-exotic beets, lol, with just coconut flakes and cacao powder for decoration. Frankly, I'm not getting any takers on these. They are beautiful to me, but my family is just not there yet. I guess I know intellectually how good the various ingredients are and therefore the whole simply "tastes" better to me - even visually.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 pm

I walked the ddog this morning. Did some up and down the stairs, and out to water extra steps.

Return to “Healthy Habits”