Health and Fitness, August 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August 2018

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:57 am

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Here's some inspiration for August strength - which one speaks to you?

"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

" It does not take much strength to do things, but it requires great strength to decide on what to do."
-- Elbert Hubbard

"Our real problem, then, is not our strength today;
it is rather the vital necessity of action today to ensure our strength tomorrow. "--
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Always remember, there is more strength in you than you ever realized or even imagined. Certainly nothing can keep you down if you are determined to get on top of things and stay there."--
Norman Vincent Peale

"Each of us should do something every day
That we do not want to do
But we know we should do,
To strengthen our backbone
And put iron in our soul."--
Henry Hitt Crane

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2018

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:50 pm

I walked the ddog.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Yay, Nancy found important lost items on yesterday's walk, too. (whew)

I remember about Indiana that she really liked the Norman Vincent Peale quote above.

To me, right now at least, the Eisenhower quote is very meaningful. As I get older (more responsible?), I learn that, looking in hindsight, doing smart things in the BACK THEN would have been really smart for the NOW. :) It also makes me think of lucylee's wisdom once when she wasn't really very happy with some long-term results (weight or stamina or something), but noted, what if she hadn't been trying all along. Wouldn't she have been less happy, then, more concerned. So, a positive.

My exercise is such a start... .. and then start.. ... and then start... .. Not so much start and stop. At least I don't remember stopping. I just look around one day and have to start again. What's up with that? Weather has been a very mean-spirited detour, but that's not all of it. It's a brain thing. (knocking on head : hello in there, what's up, girl? )

I had two days in July that were "PERFECT" days of checking off all 24 squares of Daily Dozen healthy habits.

New foods tried in July :
The new cherry/plum cross ( not truly "new" - I've had both "parents". But interesting & delish)
Acai in packets - frozen. Tart but with sweeter fruit it's a very nice taste. Convenient puree.

New method tried :
loving my homemade guacamole these hot days
Frozen beet slices - zero time to pop a few into a smoothie. Can hardly taste it, but nourishing.

lucylee, I thought about beets for your dh, since they reduce bp, among other good benefits. If he wouldn't really eat much of them as a usual thing, there are concentrated powders made from beets and cherries to mix in to teas/juices/waters. Long distance runners and other athletes pack them because they reduce recovery time and muscle fatigue. Hibiscus tea helps bp, too, and looks appetizing (pink).

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for those great quotes Harriet!

Two walks yesterday, today shopping and watering are how I am getting my steps in. I walked, this morning.

Will be trying some juicing I have decided. I have a blender. Will keep my eye out for a smaller bullet type one.

A family member is having great success with P lexus, lost wt. And got off type 2 diab. Med. Lowered a1c to 5.6. Another family member tried it and it made the heart race so much that this person could not give blood. So had to stop using it.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am

I have done exercise, 30 on stat. Bike, 20 walking dog, 20 mowing front yard.

Did that again today except mowing.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Put in 15k steps on Thur and 7k yesterday. Aiming for 10k today
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 am

I loaded stuff for hens to go and raked a section in the back yard yesterday for my activity.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Have had 2 days in a row of checking off all 24 of my Daily Dozen check-off chart.

Did a little more rigorous and long exercise video tonight and am feeling the tingling from that in thighs, so that's good. (perhaps I'm over the mental resistance I was dealing with.) I did make sure to have water in the middle.

I'm actually trying to be a little more intentional about water. Trying to remember that when noon rolls around, I can let the noon hour be a reminder to have another pint of water before even considering lunch.

Getting around to reading Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, director of UC Berkeley's Sleep Lab. It was highly recommended by a speaker/author I listen to as often as I can, Doug Lisle. He says Walker's work has changed his own opinion, and convinced him that the preservation of sleep is the most important of the exercise/nutrition/sleep trio of health emphases. He even says he's now been able to diagnose some sleep-related reasons for dementia in some of his patients, and prescribe better sleep habits that have helped. Has anyone already read this or heard of it? It was released in late 2017 and became a best-seller before I even heard of it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Wtg Harriet on the daily dozen, my exercise was cleaning the carport and a couple rounds on the shed.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks, Nancy. I actually got a third in a row - first time that's happened. It's because I'm cooking more, I think, and not just that, but making larger dishes, expecting leftovers. So if I ate well one day because I cooked well, the next day it's easier than ever. Usually I halve recipes for just us, or even avoid large recipes completely. Maybe I've been going at it the wrong way.

Return to “Healthy Habits”