Health and Fitness, September 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September 2018

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 am

Welcome to our thread about benefiting health and fitness!

We are challenging ourselves to greater well-being and encouraging well-being in our family members. Each of us is learning - recognizing needs and finding personal balance. As homemakers, when we take care of ourselves, we increase the strength, stamina, resistance and optimism we have to enjoy life and to be nurturing to others, whether in our homes, extended families or community.

Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2018

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:07 am

In August, I had 6 days of being able to check off all my 24 healthy habits squares - more perfect days than any month since I started this way of record-keeping, 9/26/16.

Lost a half-pound in August, which is an extravagant loss for me. I have been staying the same for so long, that if it wasn't for others in the family I'd think the scale was stuck.

Best discovery in August may have been how much cooking ahead seems to spur my own health, personally. Having cooked meals in the fridge in advance for several days is not easy-peasy - I mean, how big is the fridge, for one thing. Time is another. But if it can be worked out, it's a good thing.

We don't have a books-we're-reading thread any more. If we did, I'd be talking about Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, professor of neuroscience and psychology at UC Berkeley, formerly of Harvard. On the one hand, it's scaring me to think of the times I haven't made sleep a priority in my past, but on the other hand, it's inspiring me to get the best sleep I can now. The search for a cell, system or function in the human body that is not benefited by sleep has been fruitless, and the lack of it turns out to cause damage all over us, pretty fast.

Also you'll never criticize an extreme night-owl or early-bird again if you read this book, because they are born that way and we probably owe them big debts. It was these types who could alert the community to danger, or else everybody would have just slept through the warning signs - we might not even be here if someone in our past hadn't been awake when our ancestor wasn't. So this calls into question a lot of societal pressures on people now, to ignore their own "clocks" and conform to the same schedule as everybody else.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Yesterday for my exercIse was gardening spaded some and walked the dog later on.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:46 pm

My goal for September -- WALK.
Either to walk away the pounds OR get in my steps each day. Right now my step goal is a very unimpressive 7000 steps daily, but for someone who generally would average 4000 or so without any extra effort, I am feeling quite pleased if the Fitbit starts vibrating at 7000. I am also trying diligently NOT to skip more than 1 day at a time -- hopefully not to skip ANY days -- but definitely not to let skipping become a habit.
I will try to post here for accountability.

When LadyM posted about the lady on youtube who walked 6 miles inside her home each day, I thought, yes... there is no reason I cannot do this, I can look at videos or even read while walking. And of course, I can watch tv while walking away the pounds b/c that is basically walking in place, using various steps -- side steps, back leg lifts, marching, swinging legs forward, etc. So far I've done pretty well since Sept. 1.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Doc told h he has to change his earing habits. H was in a sour mood afterwards. I told him I could put a salad in his lunch half of the time to start, he said he would toss it. I just laughed and thought at least he would be eating one less unhealthy thing. ;) Fresh fruits high in sugar. Are his favs not really healthy bananas and grapes, but I could do a fruit salad he quit taking apples bc the bruised or something. :roll: Let the adventure begin. As fall aproaches I stop buying icecream.

I had a friend that ate the best and did not drink alochol she died of liver cancer go figure, we are still here.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Here's a question for somebody. Years ago I remember posting something about continuing increased metabolism after walking. Ring a bell with anyone? I know that's one benefit of walking -that you continue to burn more calories afterwards. But for the life of me I can't find any info on that or how much it would be. I am trying a new way of walking -simply setting out and walking around 1,000 - 1,400 steps at a time -several times a day. Going to see what affect it has my weight (loss hopefully).
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I remember hearing that getting to the 8 min target when walking was beneficial Dee.
Also - short stints of exercise as hard as you can (thats a few minutes) are equal in value to a much longer moderate exercise.
That info is from those medical research be tv programs with Mosely. (comparing results of different methods)
I know all that seem like contradictions, so my approach would be just to do what you can.

Personally I just go at whatever speed I have in me that day without too much trouble, which varies.
Though, for me to rush up the hill for a bus really does a number on my chest, and totally walk to there would be closer to 5 min. And I can feel like I come undone if I try to do that intense exercise method so I avoid that. I think its a blood sugar thing.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Shopping and walking the dog was todays exercise, and cleaning. Leaf raking will be arm exercise in a bit.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Dee, this quote may or may not be what you want to read. This is from a Men's Health article titled "Does Exercise Make You Want To Eat More?" by Ian Allen, Ben Court and Maria Masters. Take what is said with a grain of salt, since it was published in May, 2015, prior to the May, 2017 publication of the studies that are now called "The Exercise Paradox". Those studies complicated everyone's thinking on exercise/metabolism/diet by proving that we all have a "calorie threshold of expenditure". For instance if a woman has the average female daily threshold of 1,900, any exercise she does to take her past the 1,900 mark will cause other systems of the body to compensate to try to find homeostasis for the body and keep weight/size stable. Yes, metabolism goes higher after exercise that is intense enough, but this average woman may still be surprised to find herself sleeping longer to compensate, even though it wasn't her intention.

Intensity trumps all. You not only burn more calories while you're working out but also help your metabolism stay in a higher gear for hours afterward, thanks to a mechanism called EPOC, or excess postexercise oxygen consumption.

In a recent study in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, men who cycled hard for 45 minutes burned an average of 519 calories during the workout and another 193 calories in the next 14 hours. The tipping-point intensity level seems to be about 75 percent to 80 percent of your maximum heart rate (which is roughly 220 minus your age).

So that is all probably as clear as mud.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

Yes, Harriet, it is clear -however some may be muddy. :?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Healthy Habits”