Health and Fitness, November 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2018

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:55 pm

I bagged up 5 bags of leaves and did 15. Min on stat bike for my exercise today. Walked the dog around the block.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Trip to NYC just reminded me I must get myself to a better place health-wise. I was walked into the ground by kids - of course, they are 26 and I am 62, but I don't like the way I look and feel. Thanksgiving photos with family did me no favors!

My BP has also been on the high side the last two times I've seen the doc, so I'm supposed to buy a BP monitor, take it to the dr office to be sure it is recording accurately, and start recording every day for two weeks, then ck in with doc. (What a run-on sentence!)

While away, I hit 14K the first day, 10K the next and 9K the last day in Manhattan.

Part of my issue is that when this hits me, I want to "plan" and set goals. And I let it sit for a little while I think, and then the feeling goes away....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Cheering you on, Ramblin', that you are staying focused on your true end game. I did check out StepBet. I've decided against joining though. I know how competitive I can be with myself and don't want to become obsessed with increasing my running goals. Keeping it simple is working well. As long as I meet my goal of two miles or more, six days a week plus one day with three miles or more, I keep moving forward and feeling good. The new running shoes were tempting, however.. :D
Twins', would it work for you to just set a simple goal of time or distance for daily exercise and a single improvement in your diet too? You can always add more goals as you go. You don't need the "perfect plan". We will be cheering you on too. :)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 am

Thxs Runkitty... I totally understand how you feel. I managed 10508 officially steps yesterday plus two miles on my gazelle. And I am down another .4lbs today.

Usually I would be doing some gym classes, but with my hiatal hernia I’m just staying focused on my eating and my steps. Plan to add some simple exercises here at home like squates and such today to see how my body handles it. If all goes well I will continue to do them and build on my success.

Twins... sometimes my planning interferes with my doing. You have the knowledge of what to do, but the best mind set, at least for me, is to set boundaries with others and declaring I’m putting myself first. You’ve had plenty of life changes recently, but by having an honest conversation with yourself, and perhaps your therapist, you can set simple goals you can live with.

I know you have to eat out for many reasons and I know how easy that is to railroad good intentions. At first I declared to myself that I wasn’t going to eat out while staying focused on my eating. Then I realized I was robbing myself of the company of my friends. Now I try to read a restaurants menu ahead of time so I can stay on plan. I do the same with cooking at home. I cook things thatSweetie likes, but I don’t want to eat cause it’s not one my plan. This way I can enjoy sweeties company and at the end of the day be happy with myself
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I have a good start today with 8400 steps with dfriend M and R uby this morning. And it is cold and windy! (Feels like 34 degrees now)

RunKitty, you hit the nail on the head. The perfect plan being the enemy of the good of course. I like the way that RR is thinking, perhaps right now focusing on steps and eating. But OTOH, since we don't celebrate Christmas, maybe this would be a good time to start a gym habit - M and I discussed maybe setting a schedule for two days a week to start.

Weight not up but just a little from NY extravaganza of eating, and I have recovered there already. We did not eat a lot of heavy meals except for Thanksgiving and Sat night before we left. I took leftover eggplant in a box, but decided not to eat it for breakfast - it was mostly cheese. We did a lot of walking Mon - Wed too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:47 am

Yesterday I had a bad case of idontwannas. I stayed on my eating plan and got my water in, but really didn’t want to get in my steps. I had a real mental battle going on.

I just kept putting one foot in front of the other while I kept saying to myself... I don’t want to do this. The argument continued while I walked... kept thinking of my goal of 10k steps and how I would feel when I finished. Just said 10k steps and you’re done. Battle continued till I made it and looked down at my pedometer 10305!!!! 2.2 miles on my gazelle and I got to go to bed early cause I really was just plain tired.

My reward? I’m down a pound from yesterday!!!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:16 pm

Fantastic, RR!! Great effort!!
Well done, Twins'!! I like your plan!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:59 am

Stayed focused and on plan. 11305 steps and 3.2 miles on my gazelle. However I didn’t get in all my water. Already drank 16 ozs with my first hour of getting up, along with eating my breakfast and drinking my 10 ozs of decaf coffee.

Off to drink more water and watch Perry while on my gazelle.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:00 pm

You are doing great, RR! I didn't plan any extra walking yesterday and still got 5K steps. I have my goal set at 50K for the week, so thanks to Monday I'm well over half way there. Trying to start small. I have a treadmill upstairs and could also go to the mall if I want.

I have walked the dog....

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Twins do you have a tv within watching distance from your treadmill? I can watch tv from my gazelle. Now when I watch tv I do it from my gazelle. This morning I started doing that while I watch my morning news and Perry. I also started putting on my clothes first thing in my morning. However the first thing I do when I get up, after using the bathroom and weighing myself is make my bed.

I don’t shower every morning, though I do wash off, because I have extremely dry skin and my dr keeps after me not to shower daily. I don’t need to wash my hair every day so that helps. On the days I do need to shower, I set my alarm to get up earlier.

Thinking abt how morning routines have changed since I have completely retired now, I am no longer subbing, I find my mind set is more relaxed in the morning now. But in retrospect I also see how it influences what I can get done. Decided I’ll give myself grace on Sat and Sunday but will alter my mornings.

I’ve also found if I talk to myself last thing before I go to sleep abt my morning places it makes it easier for me in the morning... I just get up and do it, rather than slowing myself down by thinking abt it.

Return to “Healthy Habits”