Health and Fitness, December 2018

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2018

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Today my exercise was shopping in 2 large stores, walked th dog a block, raking and bagging up 2 bags of leaves.
Did 30 more min. Of leaf raking bagging this afternoon in the front yard.
Later did another 30 min. Raking leaves off the back yard no bagging.
They are finally off the trees now yea!

Fri. I did 30 min. On the stat. Bike.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Run Kitty, you're my inspiration. I'm just checking in again. Still have to do a few more things.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:23 am

Keep it up, Dee. Think how proud you will be when you can log all that exercise. And, hopefully, you will be feeling much stronger too.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:19 pm

I have been trying to ignore this thread because I have been ignoring my health. My eating is once again out of control. I don't want to go near the scales because I don't want to know the damage. My clothes are extremely tight so I know it is not good. Not good at all.

I can't seem to keep my focus on healthy eating. I do good for a period of time then I revert to eating whatever is in front of me.

I have been listening to Atomic Habits and learning how we need to assume the identity of the person who does the good habits we want. What is the identity of a person who eats healthy? I look around trying to find a good example to follow.....but who? What identity do I want to try to become? Both of our DMom's are slender and are relatively healthy (good bloodwork) but they break all the "healthy eating rules" that we are told to follow. One of them doesn't eat any vegetables and the other one eats ice cream every day. This just leaves me confused.

I have tried almost all the different eating plans. I have been diligent in doing them.....until I wasn't. Life is busy and I can't keep my focus on my eating plan all the time.

I don't want to but I am teaching DS10 my bad eating habits. Last night DS10 asked me "How can I eat a hamburger and fries and still be hungry?" Both of us can eat and eat and never get full.

Well. This is depressing. No wonder I have been ignoring thinking about it.

I have to do something. What?
Weight Watchers?
My Fitness Pal?
Trim Healthy Mama?
Overeaters Anonymous?
All of these have worked for me in the past....until I stopped doing them. I need something that I become instead of just rules that I follow for a short time.

editing to add......

I have given it some thought and ruled out several possible options. I have decided to use the Fitbit app. Ultimately I will use it to track food, hydration and exercise. The Fitbit app has improved enough to compete with MyFitnessPal in the food tracking. I am picking Fitbit over MFP and other food tracking apps because I can encourage DS10 to use it. I don't want him to focus on monitoring his food but his exercise (steps). It is an easy way to have a friendly competition on a daily/weekly basis to monitor steps. DS10 and I have several IRL family & friends that use Fitbit and like to do their step challenges. That makes it an "identity" that I want to assume. I want to be an active person and I want to teach DS10 to be one too. That's an identity that I can successfully become.

This decision doesn't solve my weight and eating issues. I'm baby stepping my way to that.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:12 pm

I did apx. 45 min. On the stat. Bike today. And bagged up some leaves.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:34 pm

((LadyM)) You always have so much going on in your life and I think you handle it beautifully. I like your identity as an active person!! I think Harriet is the perfect role model for healthy eating; she certainly inspires me to do better.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:01 pm

With all you have going, Lady M, I'm amazed you're doing all that you are! Come hang out with us here -it's an inspiring place to be I'm discovering.

Just finished my 'rehab' for one more day. That now gives me 6 days in a row, plus I had done about 11 days out of the previous 18. Simply decided I absolutely had to commit to doing it each and every day. At least I'm trying to do all that I can do to become a better, healthier me!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Hurray for the six days of exercise in a row, Dee. That's wonderful. I'm so glad you have committed yourself to it. :)

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:53 pm

I totally understand LadyM.
Been there, still am to an extent.
atm I'm having trouble with getting healthy meals prepared each and every day, and even the most needed vitamins and minerals that are doctor prescribed taken.

My question for me:- What is the tiniest baby step that will help towards my goal to retest and see if following the strict regime will be helpful ?
Maybe there is something I've added that spins the rest out of alignment. Nut bars? there is sugar holding those things together.
My prayer - G*d - Please help. I can't seem to do this on my own, even though I've tried.
Giving thanks.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Awww... .. that's a nice thing to say, RunKitty. It's so much more optimistic and easier to ADD something to form a healthy habit than it is to restrict. If I fill meals up with interesting choices and focus on the good stuff I can get in, then the questionable things are automatically less percentage of the whole. Variety is encouraging, but also go-to no-brainer meals that will have the good stuff in them and don't take a lot of thought when stressed (therefore do-able!).

I relied on a no-brainer meal yesterday in the middle of a bunch of stress around here - made simplest guacamole of chopped red onion, avocado and a little lime juice, while the gold yukon potatoes were baking. Wedges of the potato arranged on plates with (canned) black beans over, then corn cut off the cob over those, then guac, and our fav salt substitute, Benson's. Dstepson was smiling at how large the servings were, lol. When we're filled up with good foods, we don't find ourselves making poor choices.

But when I make a smoothie I have so much variety of ingredients out on the counters it all kinda looks cluttered around me, I suppose. When I learn wise reasons for eating a certain food, it always seems that smoothies are the easiest place to add it!

Yesterday morning I hit the grocery in advance of the storm and the produce dept was running out of things fast. I wasn't even going to buy mushrooms this time, but somehow noticing that there was only one pack of sliced shitakes left made me grab it. That taught me two things - people are getting smart about buying foods that may be new to them but are healthy, and I personally have a problem with buying on impulse when something looks rare!

Today we are snowed in, and I'm making a cake of cornbread to have with mixed beans and probably kale, although I could just simplify further with a can of no-salt-added collards. Thinking.

RunKitty, when I traveled by car to the event with 4 other women, I happened to show a photo on my phone and the woman sitting beside me noticed the icon of the Daily Dozen on the home screen. I pulled it up for her and she used it as a traveling game, calling out the dozen to see which of us had those in our diets. Turned out the older 3 of us had high "scores" and the younger two were saying they realized these things were healthy but didn't know anyone actually ate them. The oldest was giving them pep talks about learning to cook greens, lol.

Return to “Healthy Habits”