Health and Fitness, January 2019

Share healthy living habits.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2019

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Hoping with you that it's sunny AND warm, Twins. It's sunny today but way too cool for me to walk unfortunately.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:31 pm

What do y'all think about the fact that Bob Har per had that massive heart attack last year that almost killed him?

I had missed that until I began looking up that expensive medicine DH is on. He is pitching that for the company and that is how I heard about it. Spent some time today reading some articles and interviews.
One thing that struck me is he ate quite a bit of red meat. Until now. And he ignored fainting or dizziness symptoms.

I'm wondering what symptoms DH ignored. He's not very self-aware of things. We've always recognized that in him. For instance, he'll be riding around in a car that has a broken a/c and not realize it's so hot until a very long time later. Or realize it's too cold. Or he doesn't feel quite right. Just recently I had to put a nice blanket on his bed. He was sleeping with just a sheet, in this cold weather. And he doesn't wear heavy flannel PJ's either.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:03 pm

It's funny, Harmony, because after seeing his ad "I recently had a heart attack", I looked up when it actually was: Feb 12, 2017 -so almost 2 years. Seems like you'd be able to get some 'help' for the cost of that med from the drug company maybe? Sure hope you can at any rate. Just goes to show you the 'fit' are not immune. Had a friend who was ultra fit up home and dropped dead running at a very young age. I keep trying to tell myself to eat better, eat healthier and I seem to have a hard time figuring out what to change. I know I don't want to go through a heart attack again -I've had 3 now. One in 1994, Jan of 2017 and Oct of 2018. I know the chances of another are with me all the time and yet it's hard to change much.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Yard work for my exerciise today and shopping. Picked up back yard dug 4 holes & planted roses for exercise opportunities today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Beginning in 2005, I guess, as the B L trainer, he was asked about food a lot. I was a show fan, and I remember that by 2010 he would answer in interviews that his own diet had become vegetarian or vegan. He liked it because it kept cholesterol low and used to tell back then what his cholesterol was, but I don't remember. But I never heard him promise anyone he was committed to being a forever vegan. It was what he was doing at the time.

In late 2013 he famously became an advocate of Paleo eating and he gave up all beans/peas/lentils and all grains of any kind, adding in 2 to 3 eggs each morning, butter in his coffee and lots of meats and fish. He had a new book he was already writing, but maybe had already gone to print before his Paleo decision, coming out in April, 2014, and it had the recommendation of one meatless day a week. In Feb 2017 he was thankfully near a doctor working out at the same gym when he had the massive attack. The dr found no heartbeat, but the gym had a defibrillator and the doctor knew how to use it, bringing him back. In his late-2017 book he names quinoa and brown rice as "super carbs" (title of book), and credits the Dean Ornish program/advice with his heart-attack recovery.

Last I heard he is now a pescatarian, meaning vegetarian who avoids dairy and eggs but sometimes eats fish. He's complained because some people keep questioning him, worried about the fish, which of course would add oil and pollutants, but he rightly said, "I'll do me, and you do you", and later said he understands that these are well-meaning - maybe even worried - fans. He has said he thinks genetics was a big part, but the history of heart attack in his family was at age 70 and he was 51. To me, with age factored in, then, genetics doesn't sound as significant.

Harmony, as far as awareness, I don't know what you can do except say to him to be more aware. ? That sounds lame, doesn't it? I think completely fainting was a lot to ignore - that wasn't a little thing. Mr. Harmony would notice fainting!
Thinking about him sleeping cold, was he just exhausted those nights and falling asleep before he got comfortable? I think I'm an odd one in that I have to get situated just-so or I can't sleep. I will pull covers over my head like a hood, and I have hair, after all. HRH and ds laugh at me because of course HRH has less, thinner hair and ds has almost none at all (shaven), but I'm the one who wants covers around my head.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Yep, I have to have covers way up under my chin at least if it is cold in the room. I will wake a bit if my feet are cold and I usually make sure to have an extra layer over my feet if it's chilly.

DH had his little room heater going, but still I don't know how he slept with just the sheet. (He sleeps in the buff ya' know :o ) and that isn't warm... We've talked about how unobservant he is. Plus he has high pain tolerance that does not serve him well sometimes. If he looks different I'll ask him how're you doing and he usually just says fine.

In one of the interviews B H gave after he got better, he called himself a carnivore. That says lots of meat. Then he did say he had to change what he was doing. But now he works out again, though he said he would never go to a gym that did not have cpr equipment and someone who knew how to use it. He was in a coma for 2 days I think.

And I really don't like when drs. say it's genetics. DH thinks he is a-ok and didn't do anything wrong and still doesn't because nothing makes any difference - because in his case it is genetics. Ah, no, his cholesterol was high for a while before he got that under control. Sure, genetics doesn't help, but it's not the thing to use as an excuse. And he thinks because they "fixed" the heart arteries, he's as good as the next healthiest guy. No, once you've had an attack like this the likelihood of having another within a year is way higher than the next healthiest guy.

Good thing though, that expensive med. he is on goes away after a year. Baring anything else happening.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

I did 30 on the stat bike.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 am

I know what to do, it is simply a matter of making it a priority and staying focused until it is accomplished. Repeat. Repeat
Lady M said this today. I resemble that quote a WHOLE LOT! :cry: Start out the day with good intentions and then fall into hunger later in the day. I need to find some things that are somewhat filling and very low in calories. The things dh has sitting around are definitely not it! Know I should stop using butter, but it's hard finding the 'right' things to eat all these months we're at dd's.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Dee I am struggling too, but I am trying.

Have you ever tried Earth Balance? Good substitute for butter, good to cook with or use as spread, really tastes close to butter. It has veg. oil blend (palm fruit, canola, soybean, flax & olive oils); a little salt, pea protein, lactic acid, color. Sat. fat 3g; trans fat 0g polyunsat 2.5g; monounsaturated 5g cholesterol 0mg. We switched to this after DH's episode. It comes in a little square tub of 15 oz. Ours says Earth Balance Original.

If I can just get myself on track and see a wee bit of progress then I can do what's right for a while. It's the getting started that's hard.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:00 pm

I did the stat bike and several rounds of yard work today.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Healthy Habits”