Health and Fitness, January 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2019

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Yes, although excess sodium is the fastest water retention culprit for me, white flour products do make my scale jump. As I was researching swollen ankles (for HRH, who is experiencing that temporarily), one dr said that staying away from sugar went without saying because sugar causes so much water retention anytime, whether with swollen ankles or not. That actually surprised me, but he's an expert.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm

I feel good! I went for a 22 minute walk and I did my cardiac exercises for a total of another 30 minutes. Had to quit as one of my pedals fell off. Dh tried to fix it but I think it's going to need a little more TLC.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Hit my 8K steps today and my goal for the week, which was to take whatever I had Monday and Tuesday, and then average 8K daily for the rest of the week.

Dh and I walked four laps around the neighborhood this afternoon in the sunshine.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:06 am

Today I walked around the block earlier. After dinner I did 30 min. On the gazelle changed things up a bit.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am

Did a walk with the dog & 20 min. On stat bike Mon
Tues. 30 on stat bike. Done. Shopping was good for some walking.

H tweaked his eating program by cutting out clam chowder because of too many potatoes, and dividing the large meat pies we had to cut in half they're two servings so far that's all he has had to do.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am

I’ve been back on my eating plan for the last few days but am unsure how this will go with my hernia. Haven’t done Amy type of exercise especially since I was fighting that sinus crud.

One of my biggest problems has been trying to drink water. It often set my stomach of for some reason. Been able to enjoy drinking it these last few days without consequences so that’s nice. I haven’t had a soda since Oct, but that hasn’t been by choice.

So I’m gonna keep doing what I’m doing. Low carbs, as much water as I can and try to start moving. We shall see where this takes me.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Walked 22 minutes yesterday & shortened it today, but not by much. Did 18 minutes today & it was evidently too much as the last 5 or 6 minutes my hip/thigh were hurting mightily again. Wasn't able to do my cardiac yesterday. Will see how I am later on. But at least it was some exercise.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm

I have a working Fitbit again, albeit only 1200 steps yesterday (in the washing machine) and 5300 today, since I took it out of rice this afternoon and got it going again. Weight is staying above that dratted number with the zero in it. :twisted: I'm not 100% compliant with no flour, no sugar et al, but I've been eating well.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Harriet, thank you for my gold star!

It's a little tarnished...but I'm mindful. It's really stressful to be mindful and constantly recognize what I'm doing that's so wrong... and not have anywhere inside myself to drag up some will-power to change things.

Dieting for me has always been a brain drain. I have to do something inside my brain first (you might call it being in the 'mood'). A few days ago I discovered a bin of clothes tucked way back in my closet and I got that out to see if there were a few things in there I'd been looking for. Sure enough... when I'd originally lost a bunch of weight I took everything out that was too big... then a while later when I went back up and I just had smaller clothes to pick from I was depressed about the things that didn't fit and I took those out.

So my bin has a couple different sizes in it and I tried some of them on. Some fit me now, some are too small; not everything that fits me looks good.

I need to sort that all out and start with a closet of things I like to wear and feel good in. And go from there.

We've been taking more bike rides than before, so that's good. My bad knee is still sore. Today's ride I was in 2nd gear practically the whole way and we went farther than we usually do so I must be gaining some stamina. I go out there and pedal not thinking about weight but stamina and better health so that's good. Baby steps!

Read all month's posts here and I gotta say, y'all sound really motivated!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 pm

not thinking about weight but stamina and better health so that's good. Baby steps!
Agree, agree, agree, dHarmony! I'm thinking if I can increase my stamina and go for better health, the weight may just follow naturally! I went for a shorter walk today -15 minutes so far. At least my hip/thigh didn't start hurting. Will try again later this afternoon. Got a brand new cane with the four feet on it so I can stand it wherever I go. So often I hang my cane on something and it ends up toppling to the floor. Told dh to just leave it in the car as I really only want it when I go somewhere. The other cane is good for walking here.

Return to “Healthy Habits”