Health and Fitness, January 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, January 2019

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

We chat here about all aspects of health, with an eye to building strength for the calling of Homemaker. Taking care of ourselves is vital, but it also means a better chance at taking care of those around us. We hope you will join us.

How cheerful is this full year of possibilities spreading out in front of us!?!? :D It's gotta make you smile! Just think of the goals that could be reached, the new healthy habits that could be formed in 3 months... ... 6 months... ... 365 days!

Tell us here about your goals, ideas, plans or resolutions for 2019. All tips warmly welcomed!

And be sure to report on your news of 2018 - progress made, proactive health measures taken, milestones reached. And if you had frustrations, this is the place to tell that, too, because we all understand.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2019

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:36 pm

I did 30 min. On stat bike.
Had to get bigger slacks sigh.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 pm

Healthy habits are part of my new January Habit Tracker --
drinking water, exercising, walking outside for at least a short period of time each day, fasting after 8:00 pm

My weight is about where it has been for several years now. I weigh each day, but comparing 1st days of the month, I am up about 1.5 pounds from Dec. 1... BUT today I weighed less than I did on all but two of the firsts during all of last year. So, that is encouraging. MAYBE if I can stick with the better habits, I will see improvements.

I know I wander in and out of this thread, and mostly out... but I'm glad y'all are here! WTG, Nancy with the bike!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Awww... I miss being able to reach an end-of-month and say I didn't gain. Not happening for me now, and even though I didn't even have time to check at end of Nov, I was so scattered I'd say probably not then, either. I had a nice long run without a scale argument, though, lol!

Since HRH's first treatment day after Thanksgiving, I have definitely not kept up my standard. There have been four long days away for those, which have been outpatient but found me eating very poorly and sitting very s-t-i-l-l. Virtually no "calendar event goals" over the holidays either, lol. And I'm sure the stress and rush have done a number on me. Oh well, I know what to do to get back on track.

I was pleased to find The Peaceful Mom site has a fillable (editable) blank calendar page to download. I filled it for workouts. Highly recommend and I'm sure I'll find other uses. (I already love CEO's fillable listing pages.)

Dee
inspired me to think in terms of simply 20-25 minutes every day, and I filled in the calendar with a balanced assortment of video workouts that repeats after every 10 days, so each one will rotate about 3 times per month. Of course, by February I'll probably be tweaking it. lol. But it's nice to know there's a plan on paper for when I don't have the mental bandwidth to tweak.

My Jan-Feb Eating checklist is ready. Looks good today, especially since we ate traditionally for New Year's Day, with good ol' collard greens.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Answering lucylee,
yep, Nancy is the one who keeps us straight with consistency.
Great job on habit tracking plans, lucylee. Love the evening fasting concept.

Answering me,
I'm sweaty - zumba was first, lol. A sort of amateur group I ran across on youtube but they are good at leading.

The young man came in during. ;) I sat. I told him I'm not ashamed I work out, but I'm not working out in front of you. :lol: (anything youtube is in the living area of the house with 'puter) He brought a quart of homemade sauerkraut from his Dad - wonderful gift. He didn't slow my heart rate down much, so I was ready for water. When I record this in my Daily Dozen, I see that with only the addition of one particular smoothie recipe I can see in my head, I'll have a perfect day, so I'm off to do that.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:33 am

Yeah... that evening fasting thing is a great idea... in theory.
In reality... well I’ll just say Day 1 was a total failure.
I didn’t exercise either. Because — kids.
Everyone was a little stir crazy at ds’s house so they asked if we could babysit awhile... which turned into about 3 hours. Plus the hour they stayed once they came back.
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 am

I am continuing with the 8K daily step goal for now. It's been working, with sporadic interruptions when I lost my fitbit on Saturday (on pants I took off when I showered Saturday, but didn't find until we were leaving on Sunday.) And Sunday, Monday and yesterday steps were off because of trip, relaxation and lack of purpose.

"Dryuary" is also in place, no alcohol this month. Helps lose weight, resets the metabolism. After the holidays it is a nice break to be more healthy.

Eating plan: moving toward "Always Hungry" way of eating. I eat little bread/potatoes but have been eating a lot of sugar over the holidays. So cutting out sugar and potato/bread carbs and substituting "slow" carbs like beans and fruit.

Just checked and my weight was actually down .8 from Dec 1. Of course, then, we had just been to NY for Thanksgiving. I didn't weigh yesterday so I'm considering this as the beginning of the year/month.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:00 pm

I went through my 2018 calendar, a little tiny one I keep in the bedroom. Each day I put my weight on it. It was interesting to see the trend. I am about the same as when I started out 2018. About the middle of the year I zoomed up and fought to get that off and ended up after the holiday about the same. So I'm considering 2018 a wasted year.

I sorta know what the problem is and why I'm eating things I shouldn't...but right now I have no solution. Need for things to slow down around here so I have time and brain space to figure out how to deal with this. I was good during holiday vacation..until I came home with the beautiful tin of chocolate covered cookies that were just soooo delicious. DH continues to be a very bad example, constantly bringing stuff home neither of us should eat.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:15 am

Impressed with the step counts!

Oh, that is NOT a wasted year Harmony, not at all. As you said yourself, you fought, you corrected, you ended up the year the same. Since most people in wealthier countries are gaining every year, you get a
gold star.

The new start on record-keeping for the year change has been so interesting to me and I'm sure that interest is what's gotten me to two "perfect" healthy habits days for Jan 1 and 2. My challenging moment yesterday was remaining ladylike and hostess-pleasant when the young man brought a gift during Zumba. :| I started over when he left and worked out anyway. My difficulty today was canned greens, lol. (after I took a few bites I began to enjoy them; it's just that I'm not used to limp greens!)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Walked the dog at the dog park this morning.
I did 30 min. On stat bike before dinner.

Return to “Healthy Habits”