Health and Fitness, January 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2019

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:35 pm

My suggestion
To fill up and keep energy reserves longer look for protein sources in with each meal.
Meat isn't the only protein, so see what else suits you. You need more than just the protein in the meal as well. Load up on many different vegetables.
Some 'breads' are better than others so experiment. Do you have table of contents % on the label? I find the higher the protein % the better.
Just looked at my bread label. Protein is 6.6%.
I find ones with seeds keep me going longer, on days I have bread or toast, if you can tolerate seed mixes in bread. Then I also add protein to the filling.

It really is an experiment to notice what you eat and how long before you need to 'refuel'. If the test for success repeats a few times you are on a winner.

Since I've been busier I've had a plate of cheese and crackers at afternoon tea. Yesterday I wrapped them in lettuce.
I'm still struggling to get onto the evening meal more quickly.

I'm sometimes mixing up my walking route by walking up the hills near my house, though not the super steep sections until I feel more fit.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:43 am

I wish I could do seeds and nuts. Nope. Not with this human plumbing I've got.

Low fat, none of the above, trying to limit carbs, craving salt with my low sodium (yes, dr. says my craving is a real thing), nothing spicy, sometimes I just stand in the kitchen and have no idea what to eat.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:17 am

Is seed or nut flower a possibility Harmony? There are no bits to get stuck in plumbing.
Quinoa, buckwheat are seeds with a fair protein component.
Almond meal? I think of it as gritty so that might not agree.
Chick pea flour is also know as besan.
You don't need to add much seed flour to get a benefit.
Sorghum is a grain, Red Mill sell its flour. Protein is 11% as per packet waiting for my use. (I tried a shredded sorghum breakfast but it seemed 'scratchy' inside to me. I ort to try again and see if its a reaction or not.

Self.com that Indiana introduced me to has the self.com .... darn - just checked the website and I could not access a search box that used to give nutritional profile of food items/ ingredients.

Best I could find on low glucose tolerance was this page. They are foods that don't give the spike then crash of energy levels.
A different page might come up if you search in the US.
http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

Good luck - don't give up. There will be a work around the no seedy nutty bits problem.
(PS the low gi folk can be scathing about gluten free, but I found seed substitutes that get rid of too much rice and tapioca dependence. There may be other resources to find.)

edit to add -
my salicylate thing knocks out many of the low gi fruit.

my low sulphate thing knocks out many of the los salicylates/
Twas time to search creative solutions.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am

I was looking forward to being able to walk while we were in FL and then was feeling too wiped out and nauseated by meds for neuralgia that I just didn't want to do anything. It would have been a nice break from all the talk and clutter of the house, which felt oppressive to me.

Weird observation: Somehow my weight was way up before going away, and is low today - lower than it had been since I went away to SLC two weeks ago. Probably the tummy being off helped, but I was eating for comfort, not my WOE(way of eating) or nutrition.

My brain isn't working right. I don't know if it's the meds or what but things I can spell and remember aren't coming to me. Like leaving computer cord and journal in FL.

I am eating my WOE for today except no milk for smoothie this am. Maybe eggs and fruit for breakfast?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:29 pm

I am back on my eating plan now that my meds are working and my stomach had settled down.cant jump on my exercise program till my arm heals but did get in a two mile walk today.

Depending on how I feel, I’m going to go back to the park in the morning and walk a few more miles. The park is near the library with is on my to do list tomorrow.

I’m ready to start this. My mind is in the right set. Starting at square one again.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:53 am

((Twins')) what a bummer that meds are causing difficulties. Hope it's temporary.

Ramblin' it's great when our minds are in the right set for what our bodies need. I know you'll be happy to witness the healing of your arm, and hope it's fast.

Yesterday may have been the single worst eating day I've had in years.

We left much earlier than breakfast time. Only HRH has food there and it's healthy and tasty - he likes it, especially a brown rice dish they have. While he eats, I go away to provide for myself. Mustn't abandon parking spaces there, or you'll regret it - I learned that the first time! It turned out one of my ideas for a meal I just knew would work, was gone. :( After all it's been a month since we were in the area - shouldn't have counted on anything. I found veggie omelet for breakfast - greasy, but I was okay. Then for two meals I could find no choice but a slice of thick-crust pizza, oily-bottomed :( , and so loaded with cheese it was like slicing a cheese wedge with your teeth. A veggie topping one was available once, but barely half a veggie serving.

Next time I'm going to carry food, and maybe I'd better carry a lot. Really going to plan this well. I don't believe there's any provision for microwaving - at least I've never seen it. But I can figure this out and manage without it. There are so many great cold sandwiches to be made if you just know you're gonna need them! And why don't I have a small wide-mouth thermos? Maybe time to invest. Goodness at one point I would have paid a premium price for a banana, believe me. :lol: I could so easily have taken that from home but didn't realize.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:41 pm

I am feeling better - now just taking twice the dosage I was taking before and still feeling some discomfort but I'll take it. Tummy is easing up and energy better. Getting through the memorial service yesterday helped too.

I got in 7200 steps yesterday and will try to get back to 8K daily this week. I had expected/hoped to have some nice walks while away but just didn't feel up to it.

My weight is down - probably having an "off" tummy has something to do with it, but I am eating well again now that my discomfort is lower.

IKWYM, Harriet about taking along food. Sometimes it just doesn't occur to me.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Sounds like you have found a balance, Twins'. Emotionally, as well, you can settle somewhat.

After a brief phone chat with dd, I ordered an Aladdin 16-oz wide-mouth thermos. She will probably get more use out of it than I will, so I wanted to hear what she thought. We decided the 24-oz would be overkill for her - cumbersome and might keep her from using it as much. Now to experiment with menus that include a comfort food that's ready-to-go-hot as early as HRH and I have to walk out of here, those 3 more mornings. Corn and potato chowder is high on my list! Yum. Overnight crock-pot might be good if it's a day dd will be home to enjoy and take care of the rest. But leftovers are fine.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 am

Twins', sorry your weekend was so uncomfortable. Sounded like the weather was pretty unpleasant in that area anyway, so walking wouldn't have been as fun. Glad you are back to your WOE.

Oh, Harriet!! Those food choices sound just awful. I'm glad you will be able to plan ahead and take your own healthy and delicious food with you. Wish I could do the same on Thursday morning. My mother wants us to meet her and my sister at a restaurant for breakfast. We are going to make her happy, but I cannot eat the kind of food they serve. I've tried......the pancakes and waffles are made with white flour. They are greasy and served with sugar water with maple flavoring. The egg dishes are overcooked and swimming in grease. Breakfast meats are served with everything. I haven't eaten those for decades, but when you tell them, "No, thank you", they look at you like you have three heads. There isn't anything on their menu that is even slighly healthy. I like their coffee, so I may just drink lots of it during the meal. I don't think I can sneak any good food in.......

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 am

Well I was able to stay on my eating plan, but didn’t get my walking in. Had a migraine during the night so I was pretty slow for most of the day.

I am trying to limit all sugar, including artificial for a while. I do have to eat two gummie bear calcium drops which contain a small amount of sugar each morning. My GIndr prescribed it to counteract the meds I’m take my for my stomach acid. The meds leach the calcium from my system and she says by allowing the calcium to dissolve in my mouth it enters my bloodstream and is more effective.

I’m also going to limit my cheese as well within a few days. I have a recipe using portabella mushrooms as a pizza crust I want to try but i need cheese to make it. The thing I miss most is bread, especially at lunch time for sandwiches and also for when I make hamburgers so I need to pull out my oopsie bread recipe.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”