Health and Fitness, April 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, April 2019

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Welcome! This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Check out last month's thread, with great info, good reports and maybe a few disappointments! This is the place for all of the above. :)

We've posted recently about following healthful lifestyle changes, challenges we have given ourselves, getting sensible medical care/tests/proactive steps, trying to form good habits like enough sleep or hydration, trying to break some other habits :) and creating healthy meals. Please join right in!

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, April 2019

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Would be nice to get a fitness routine started. Dfriend and I talked about that yesterday. She is two years older than I am and works out with weights three times a week. I don't know that I want that commitment but I do know I need more than just walking.

And I need to start checking my BP too. :roll:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:51 pm

I got 30 min. Done on the stat bike and cleaned out a flower bed for my exercise today.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:33 pm

My doc will probably put me on BP meds now. I successfully took BP with monitor and transferred it to the app and it's been on the high side every time I've tested. Not super high, but 152/95 today. I feel like a good cry now is what I feel like.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Don’t feel bad Twins, we all feel like a good cry from time to time. I know I do.

I have struggled with my health and weight for the past year. I am also at my highest weight with a closet full of clothes that don’t fit.

I do know I am eating health for the most part so I know that’s not it. May be the meds or just my body refusing to cooperate with me.

Depression can contribute to our weight. Perhaps with warmer weather and spring finally in the air you’ll
Find the enthusiasm that you need. I’m hoping once this baby is born I can concentrate more on n myself. Because I’m older I’ve lost a lot of the muscle I built up as well as my strength. I’m close to 70 now... how on earth did that happen..so I am very aware of how important physical health is to live a health and better life.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 am

I'm in the same boat with you all with BP and BS, just to name 2 of my challenges. I have borderline BP, not medicated for it but dr. is watching. A couple times when they took it just prior to eye surgery it went up more and I was concerned. Of course I was super stressed with that guy's knife awaiting me.

BS has been 105 fasting for the past 3 tests, so over a year. Dr. is making noises about that also. It's very stressful, like Damocles' dagger hanging over my head.

I was making great progress with my leg muscle strength. Could tell the difference riding my bike around the neighborhood. We don't have any hills, thank goodness, but when the wind blows against us it can get tough. I started out only being able to do 1st gear, then some 2nd gear. Now I can do the whole neighborhood in 2nd pretty easily and some of it in 3rd.

Since my eye surgeries I haven't been out on the bike. Hate to admit, but we don't use helmets. I intend to get one now because the last thing I need is a blow to my head. I'm afraid I've probably lost all the muscle strength I've gained. So..guess I'll be starting over.

I did manage to lose a few pounds over these last few weeks. Pain has a way of making me nauseous. And nothing sounded good to eat. As soon as the news on my eyes was better and the upset eased I began to get my appetite back, so now the struggle continues.

How I wish all these healthy habits were easier.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:07 am

I did 10 min. Outside in the garden raking up stuff I pruned off yesterday, and apx. 10 min. On stat bike got inturrupted by a phone call.

Wed Finished 30 min. On the stat bike & later walked a full walk with the dog did not do yard work today bc of the rain.
Good news I am midway through 2nd week w/out chocolate candy yea me!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:43 am

Harmony, for my dgrandchildren, one of the happiest things about riding is putting on their really cool helmets. They love them. When they put them on, a smile comes over their faces, because this means fun is starting. I wish for you that kind of enjoyment. Great job on having built "up to speed", lol. No doubt you'll regain that level. I continue to believe your consistent low-in-the-range bs number is nothing for Damocles' sword to be buzzing about. (Shoo, fly. Shoo) The range is 100 to 125 and after all, there was no stone tablet uncovered with the number "100" on it. "100" was chosen as much for its evenness and being easy to remember as for biology.

I thought I already reported that I had only 1 perfect 24-check-marks day in March. Hmmm... can't find that so I guess it didn't actually get posted. Lots of good daily numbers, just not as much ambition in the evenings, I think, to find out what the last few items would be.

Had dr's appt, which I'd almost forgotten was coming up. It was fine - no changes. I like her pretty well. It may not be ideal to go to a doctor who is rather different from you yourself. (endurance athlete, zero body fat, trophies as office decor) But because she is a woman who's not that much younger than me, I can blurt things out without filtering as much, so our conversations are productive, with common ground.

I continue to learn how to cook ;) but with less input from the resident expert. :? Being pressed into a new refrigerator a few months back, has given me a welcome challenge of storing perishables wisely without "losing" any fresh foods to the rear. I'm keeping a better personal mental catalog of what's in a less visible area, or underneath something else. My rule is there's only one section where I allow myself two layers of foods and they have to be in containers, marked if you can't see in. Everything else is in one layer, so I see all the items available for recipes, rather than forgetting something that would have been healthy for us if it hadn't gone past its prime.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Monday's exercise 30 min. On stat bike.
Tues. " short walk & shopping.
Wed. 40 min. Yard work.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:36 am

I've come back around to an opinion I remember posting here. Sweet potatoes help me get rid of water weight at the least, and help me with weight generally, I believe. I think I've figured it out further. They are comforting, filling food but not a bit of sodium, so they take the place of sodium-rich choices. But more than that, they add enough flavor and color to other simple foods that those foods don't need as many "additions", either.

Can't imagine how I lost 2 pounds from yesterday to today, except for 2 facts: I must have been dealing with some water weight in the first place, and I ate about one large sweet potato, separated into two meals. I made a minimalist recipe for Kitchari (Indian rice and beans) that I chose for speed ;) and its lack of additions to affect me, sodium or otherwise. Sweet potato gives this one lots of color. I may put the recipe and reason over into a post in She's in the Kitchen. I don't want to forget it.

Return to “Healthy Habits”