Health and Fitness, May, 2019

Share healthy living habits.
RunKitty

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2019

Postby RunKitty » Sat May 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Beautiful spring day here.
Ran 3.2 milesl
Did 10 flights of stairs, so far. 30 more to do before the end of day.
Have a good one.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat May 18, 2019 2:14 pm

I did 30 min. of weeding for some of my exercise Sat.
I mowed tbe yard for more exercise.
I walked the dog Sun. For exercise she picked a new route..
Last edited by Nancy on Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 19, 2019 10:12 am

Twins' i noticed there was this study that pitted a placebo against ground flax seeds, hiding the ingredients from participants by baking them into muffins, and found that 1/4cup ground flax seeds daily lowered people's blood pressure by 10/7 in the 6 month study and more if the starting systolic number was over 140. This was published in the journal Hypertension in 2013. In the study itself, there are charts, and although there was improvement each month, it looks like the most change happened within the first month but did take the full 6 months to gradually get to the steady lower level. The charts show steady downward trend.

Something to think about. I put ground flax seed into my oatmeal so have about a Tbs every other day, and it's because it has good research regarding breast cancer. But hey, I'd like to have a better bp number, too. Maybe I should find a good muffin recipe for desserts... .. lol.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 am

What a good thought Harriet on the flaxseed, I wonder if I could add a little to my smoothie?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun May 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Twins', I add a heaping tablespoon of ground flaxseed to my smoothie every morning. Thinking about those one-minute muffin recipes made with ground flaxseed. Wonder if I could substitute Chia seed gel for the egg in the recipe? Sounds familiar. I think I tried it and it worked in the past. I used to make different flavors of the one-minute muffins: plain with cinnamon, blueberry, chocolate, and gingerbread. Those would make good desserts, I think.

Ran 2.6 miles.
20 flights of stairs; 10 to go....
Yesterday I checked all 24 boxes in my Daily Dozen app.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 19, 2019 1:24 pm

RunKitty you are "hitting on all cylinders" as my ddad would have said. :)

I can't think of any reason the chia egg wouldn't be perfectly fine.

I haven't made one of those muffins in a while. I remember the recipes used to call for a pinch of salt - if blood pressure is the point, probably omit that, lol. I don't think it was ever an important ingredient. I keep the healthy ground Ceylon cinnamon for baking, so this is starting to sound interesting to me. A muffin like that would be a great excuse/reason to add berries over the top. Warm strawberries overtop "speaks" to me. ;)

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun May 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Harriet wrote:RunKitty you are "hitting on all cylinders" as my ddad would have said. :)

I try, Harriet. I try. Sometimes running in the morning sounds like the last thing I want to do, but it is a routine and I do it anyway. I'm always glad I did.

Warm strawberries over the top of a split one-minute muffin is a great idea. Local strawberries will be ripe in a couple of weeks here, so I will definitely give it a try.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun May 19, 2019 10:06 pm

chia seed and flaxseed can both be substitutes for an egg I've read.
Remember that chia seed also has blood thinning effect, possibly flaxseed as well, so if you are on blood thinners you might want some medical advice. Some adjustment might be needed.
I swear by 15-20 mls/ tablespoon chia seed as omega 3, keeps my feet and knees working, brain health, and my digestive tract moving along.
I go for a wet mixture - smoothy -watered down with extra cup of water just helps chia swell, it go down and gets my water count up.
Added dry to foods it tended to adhere to my teeth.

I try to think of Nancy, and get some more walking in while its not so hot. In hot weather I'm more of a walk when sun is setting person.
Diet wise, (one's diet being whatever is eaten, rather than a prescribed thing) I've done better avoiding temptation. I probably still need to get rid of the nut bars. They are about 10% sugar on content list, though some of those sugars might be from sources other than 'sugar'. Wishful thinking I say to me.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun May 19, 2019 10:54 pm

I like your endorsement of the chia seeds, Lynlee. I first learned about them while reading a book about the Tarahumara who live in Mexico and are amazing long-distance runners. They drink chia fresca to stay hydrated. I am faithful about getting a tablespoon of flaxseed daily, but not as good about getting the chia. I will make more of an effort now. No blood thinners here, so no worries. :)

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon May 20, 2019 1:56 am

I learned about chia seeds first from a hypoglycaemia book, and decades later a vege yoga teacher mentioned them as being an alternate source of omega3 than fish oil that I was taking at a time. Multiple encounters with people later I learned about soaking them. And someone with a lot of RA in the family was endorsing their benefits, and mentioned her DH had to stop taking chia seed before surgery.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”