Health and Fitness, May, 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2019

Postby Nancy » Sun May 05, 2019 4:48 pm

I mowed both the front and back yard today counting that for my exercise.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun May 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Well, I don't know what it was that made a grilled cheese sandwich sound like a good idea at the time, but it has certainly lost its appeal to me now and will not be seducing me again. I felt so tired and sluggish for more than a day. Definitely not worth it. And, to be honest, after the first three bites, it didn't even taste all that good. Three bites would have been plenty. South Beach Diet used to have a three-bite cheat rule. I can see some wisdom in that..

Being snow and iced in for so long really turned out to be a blessing. Not only am I more grateful for being able to run in the sunshine on grass and dirt, but I also learned the value of doing extra stairs for fitness. My goal used to be 10 flights of stairs a day. Now I do 10 flights for every mile I run plus the original 10 flights. So I've added mileage to my days and I feel stronger when I run.

Harriet, I agree about the smoothies being comfort foods. I look forward to mine every morning!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon May 06, 2019 12:18 pm

I've been looking at the ratios for my breakfast smoothie, since it doesn't seem to "hold" me anymore. Ratios are way off for one thing, but I feel like I need the volume so I'm tinkering with it to make it more closer, hoping that helps me feel full longer.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Shopped for step s today. Got an loose wover lacy jacket to go with outfits , and a over sized shirt for a nite shirt.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I have been lurking on the H&F while waiting for a time to restart my healthy habits.

I can only juggle focusing on so many things at the same time. When I try too many then I drop everything and give up.

Hydration is a healthy habit that I do well every day. I have tiny habits that happen almost without thought to make sure I get all the liquids in every day.

Sleep is on a good track. I have been consistently sleeping 8+ hours average for several weeks. Again tiny habits make it happen with almost no effort.

Weight. I have been ignoring the scales because they were going in the wrong direction. I weighed this morning and will restart this habit. I like to weigh daily and do a weekly comparison. (compare the weight with the same day a week ago). I did a big exhale today when I weighed because I was expecting about 10lb more than the scales showed. I was dreading it for nothing.

I want to meal plan but I get overwhelmed when I start trying to implement it. So I am going to ignore that healthy habit for now. Since planning is too big of a hurdle to tackle I am going to track what I eat. I can do that without overwhelming myself. I will be using MyFitnessPal. I'm not going to worry about macros for now. I am going to just focus on getting the measuring & tracking habit going again.

Activity. I want to focus on getting 30 minutes of aerobic exercise each day. I want to fully expand my lungs and raise the heart rate. I will use a combination of brisk walking, mowing, swimming and bike riding. I am doing gardening as a method of stretching and staying limber.

So....my May goals are to keep doing existing healthy habits of gardening, hydration & sleep. Start doing daily weigh-ins, tracking on MFP and daily 30 minutes of aerobic exercise.

I hope that I'm not tackling too much at once. But I really want to do all of those so am motivated and don't feel overwhelmed by them.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue May 07, 2019 8:49 am

Logging all my food in MFP was a challenge yesterday. The logging part is easy. But I find myself not wanting to log everything I eat so the daily total won't show that I ate too much. HUH? This food log is to help me. The desire to hide food that I've eaten from myself is not logical.
1. Know what you want.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 am

Twins', are you adding enough protein powder to your smoothie? I'm usually not hungry for lunch for five or six hours after my breakfast shake. I eat some almonds and walnut with the shake to add healthy fats.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Shopping, walking at the p ark w ddog, and racking up some rock and moving it was my exercise today. Also do at least floor in at least one room.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm

RunKitty, I am adding one scoop which has 25 grams of protein. The recipe from the book also has 3T heavy cream, 1/3 cup of whole milk, 1.5 T no sugar peanut butter and a cup of frozen mixed berries. I've been using half and half instead of the heavy cream because I don't keep that around, and just putting in a smallish lump of the peanut butter. The recipe itself is supposed to be "Phase 1" of the Always Hungry WOE - 25% of calories carbs, 25% protein and 50% fat. I'd like to be closer to Phase 2, which is 35% carbs, 40% fat and 25% protein. I"ve been adding a lot more milk also to add volume to keep me full longer. https://www.drdavidludwig.com/

I'm on Tegretol which causes weight gain and hunger by itself, and I'm still taking twice what I was taking from last spring to January. https://www.epilepsy.com/connect/forums ... ger-issues (It's an epilepsy med that also happens to take care of the trigeminal neuralgia.)

The AH WOE suggests that one learn to identify hunger, and to eat to only 80% full, and to walk or do "joyful movement" which can be a walk or other movement after meals to keep blood sugar stable.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 08, 2019 9:11 am

Reading with interests.

I have 2 days of logging everything I eat on MFP. I am trying to focus on the habit of tracking and not worrying about macros at this point.

What has surprised me is the TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).. I am putting my weight & calories consumed in the TDEE spreadsheet and I am a bit shocked what it is telling me. I am a huge fan of spreadsheet formulas and this one is a doozy of advanced formulas. If what it is telling me is true then it totally changes what I thought were my daily calories needed.

I need some more data to confirm it. More input = better output. Currently, the formulas show that I need to eat 2055 calories a day to maintain my weight. That is almost twice what I thought it was.
1. Know what you want.

Return to “Healthy Habits”